3 bucks within an hour!

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Fan Club

RE: 3 bucks within an hour!

Postby Fan Club » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:06 am

I'm not impressed. Congrats to the young hunter on the fine first buck, but how many is enough? The video indicates her father orchestrated the whole event and I don't think that's a very positive lesson to teach your children. Her comments also indicate she never would had been able to or would have done this hunting solo- "Oh, there IS a deer!" and "I just seen horns."

AND... If you own property and are practicing your own version of QDM, why do you shoot the 8 pt after you already have a 13 pt and 10 pt down? "Just because you could" doesn't pass muster. If you need meat for your family and already have a buck...shoot a doe, not another buck.

While I'm all for a young hunter's success, part of this is very unsettling.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it."
Teddy Roosevelt

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:55 am

What a great thread! It flushes out the antler Nazis among us!

How could ANYONE but an antler Nazi, begrudge any hunter, especially a young first timer, with a once in a lifetime occurance like this young lady had?

Maybe I'm wrong, but the words "jealousy" and "inferiority complex" keep coming to mind. How sad.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:14 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

What a great thread!

It was until you insulted everyone in it that didn't agree with you.

How could ANYONE but an antler Nazi, begrudge any hunter, especially a young first timer, with a once in a lifetime occurance like this young lady had?

Maybe because they have a conscience?

How sad.

Pretty much describes your post.
Teddy Roosevelt

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:22 am

Did I hit a nerve? For the self righteous, "You may only shoot what WE deem appropriate crowd" it ruffled some feathers. Good. Maybe you'll reflect on how you would feel if someone started telling you what you should or should not shoot according to THEIR criteria.

Now THAT'S sad!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

berudd

Postby berudd » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:25 am

I wouldn't let my son shoot three does within an hour. It has nothing to do with being a Nazi (seriously?). It's about not respecting the life you just took. This is just like one of those crappy hunting games where you just indescriminantely shoot at everything you see.

How many bucks (or does) does one shoot in a single sitting before it becomes overfill (pun intended)? She shot the first one and I am excited for her. She shoots the second and I think wow, I probalby would not do that but can't blame her for doing so. When she kills the third on it is, in my mind, over the line. Sounds like she used some other folks tags so the net effect is probalby zero if you assume they would have filled them on their own and now they won't. I just don't thing that is the right message I would want to send to my child or to the non-hunters that hear about it. A little girl shooting a big buck is totally wicked cool. I little girl gunning down a small herd is kind creepy.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:46 am

Two questions.....

Was it legal? Based on what I read it was.

Why is this young lady's once in a lifetime experience called "gunning down" (like it's a drive-by or a terrorist attack), but when someone goes out and kills a bunch a does it's called "management"?

Be careful of using those kind of emotional terms, as that plays right into the hands of the antis.

They're deer. We shoot them. As long as it was done legally and as humanely as possible, then it makes no difference what someone's motives are. That's personal.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:46 am

ORIGINAL: berudd

I wouldn't let my son shoot the does within an hour. It has nothing to do with being a Nazi (seriously?). It's about not respecting the life you just took. This is just like one of those crappy hunting games where you just indescriminantely shoot at everything you see.

Amen. Well stated berudd.

Well Lou, the way you chose to make your point was a bit harsh wouldn't you agree? Eleven posters before you repectfully offered their opinion on this story, which by the way appears to be more about greed than antler size, without any name calling.

Some were rewarded by being called Nazis, told they were guilty of "jealousy" and possibly had an "inferiority complex".  Now you've added "self righteous" to the mix. Oh, and let's not forget that they were "flushed out" like the turds you obviously see them to be. Nice wording.

Is that necessary? You're obviously well versed on the "Antler Nazi" theme but I'm not sure this is the thread for that crusade. Hey, I don't like being told what I can or cannot shoot either, we're on the same page there. But there's a fine line between legally having the liberty to do want you want and raping the resources, which seems to be the point the folks that aren't awed by this story are trying to make.
Teddy Roosevelt

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:02 am

WHO determines what "raping the resources" is (again, emotional terms) is, you? Or the wildlife professionals who are paid to do that job?

All I'm saying here, is that if shooting more than (pick a number) deer in one sitting is against YOUR personal goals and principles, then by all means you have that right to make your own parameters. But NONE of us have any business telling anyone else what their borders are as long as it's legal, and we don't own/control the land they are hunting on.

I guess I'm jaded, but I have a VERY bitter taste in my mouth from TDMer's masquarading as QDMer's and telling other hunters what they should or shouldn't shoot based on what their personal criteria as to what a "shooter" deer is.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

CoG

Postby CoG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:34 am

Damn, I agree with Woods Walker 110%.  It's their land, their tags, their decisions.  To even suggest that what she did was "raping resources" is ridiculous.  Who's to say that?  All deer were legally killed and thus deemed in the quota issued by the state.  I've killed three bucks in one season, the latters smaller than the first, am I also a "resource rapist"?

What does it matter if the second deer was "smaller" than the first.  What does it matter if the third was "smaller" than the second?  All three bucks are trophies and she even mentions she'd like to see all three mounted.  It's apparent to me that the party had set their plans on "shooter" bucks.  They stuck to that plan and all three were "shooter" bucks.  No problems here.

Finally, I've been in the situation where you get thick into deer and taken advantage of it.  I've killed my daily limited of two on two different occassions and on one of those occasions my partner also took his two.  I know the young girl probably doesn't understand, but the Dad does, you gotta make hay when the sun shines.  To spend weeks and months in the woods only to get skunked makes you feel lucky to have a very fortunate day.  I'm more emotional than most when it comes to taking deer and I have so much respect for each and every one.  Doesn't mean I can't do all my season's work on one day with three deer if I'm lucky enough for the opportunity.

To close, I love letting little deer walk.  I do it weekly now.  At the same time I'm still capable of shooting small bucks and being very proud and humbled by the life I was given.  I'm even happy when someone kills a young buck that I'd like to see walk.  I'm only in control of me.  I don't think any less of them as a person or hunter.  Every deer is a trophy.  Even three on one hunt.
-Benny

CoG

Postby CoG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:47 am

ORIGINAL: eberhaar863828

How many bucks a season is enough?
  My answer is one. Use the tag you were given and no more.

What do all you guys think?

I think my answer is no more than is legal and no less than what makes you happy and content.  I normally have 3 buck tags a year.  I sure try and fill them all, but rarely do.  However, I sure don't stop at one and wouldn't if in a situation where I used my only tag but could party hunt with my friends.

I've used my first tag this year and he's gonna be my second shoulder mount.  I'm sure not going to stop at one even though the likelyhood of me seeing another like him this year is extremely small.  I'll take a second and third buck of my choice and they'll likely be smaller but trophies and personal successes nonetheless.  I'm currently excited right now about a deer much smaller than the one I've killed.  I may make him #2 or I may wait.  Time will tell.
-Benny

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News