2010 MN Hunting Log

mnmaverick

RE: 2010 MN Hunting Log

Postby mnmaverick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:03 pm

BWarner - sorry to hear about your frustrating weekend. That certainly is impolite, and I would absolutely look to hunt somewhere else. I went out Saturday with a friend and had what we believe to be trespassers on the neighboring land. They drove out into a field, parked their truck and were sitting in folding chairs in their blue jeans in the middle of the field. My friend walked in after they were there (on a road that we have permission to walk in on through that property). They didn't say anything, and he said they hauled out of there about 8am, so I'm guessing they weren't supposed to be there!

I saw a lot of deer in 3 hours Saturday morning. A group of does being chased by a decent 2 yr old buck, and a lot more does and fawns. I got busted by a doe which ended the morning for me, but I'll be back out, weather permitting, this Thurs-Saturday to try to get a doe.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Nothing bothers me more than disrespectful hunters.  Sorry about the negative experience BWarner66.

My gun hunting party is very clear on my policy during gun season.  It goes something like this...."don't come check in me....don't come near me...don't bother me".  It's all good though.  We joke back and forth about it, but they know I like to be left alone when I'm hunting.

I'll be out for an evening bow hunt or two over Thanksgiving.  Forecasted high temps in the teens don't get me too excited, but I'm sure I'll be out there.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

dewey

Postby dewey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:58 am

That sucks BWarner66 hopefully the hunt goes better this weekend and they are not around.

Good luck this weekend Paul and let us know how it goes. I am going out with the muzzleloader Saturday and Sunday up by Detroit Lakes and hopefully I can harvest my first deer with a muzzleloader. Is it weird that I hope for cold weather, the colder the better?[:D] The highs this weekend for me are 28-30 and lows of 20-21, argghhhh not cold enough.[:@]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

dewey

Postby dewey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:22 pm

I went out scouting Friday morning and Friday night but did not see anything. I did see a fair amount of tracks in the fresh snow but I did not see anything moving Friday at all. Went out Saturday morning and it was a little chilly that morning. It was a few degrees below zero and my eye lashes were freezing together but thankfully after quite a few years of cold weather hunting the rest of me was nice and warm. I sat out in the woods for about an hour and a half but did not see anything then I tried following some tracks and I found numerous bedding areas but no sign of deer around. Went out Sunday morning and had the same results as Saturday.

There were deer moving around as I could see deer tracks in my foot steps from the night before. With as bright as the moon was they had to be moving and feeding at night[:@]. I plan on going this Friday at my cousins place near Ham Lake or East Bethel assuming it is OK with him. I guess there is one benefit to having hour hours cut from 5 days to 4 days, more hunting time.[:D]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Hello folks,
I scouted Thursday (11/25) night from the warmth of my truck.  Saw 9 deer, but with temps in low single digits and 20-30mph wind, I was happy to not be out hunting.

Hunted Friday (11/26) and saw 15 deer.  Closest was a small buck at 50 yards.  Closing time temps at 9 degrees were (I'm sure) the coldest I've ever bowhunted in.

Saturday evening (opener of MN muzzleloader 11/27) I smoked this nubbin buck with my bow.  I was unaware it was a nubbin.  Was by itself.  My first deer ever taken from my climber stand, first deer with a bow with snow on the ground....so that was cool. 

dewey

Postby dewey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Way to go Patriot on putting some more meat in the freezer. Sounds like we had similar weather conditions to hunt in this this past weekend.

You know what they say about young deer like that "hmmmm Tender"[:D]

Dewey

Mahatma Gandhi

dewey

Postby dewey » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:53 pm

I went out hunting Friday December 3rd at my cousins land which is around East Bethel off of Highway 65. I got to the stand and set up around 10 in the morning with a temperature of 6. Sat in that stand until about 1 and then had to go in and warm up a little bit and have some lunch. Then sat in the stand from 2 until 4:30 before driving back to Crystal. I did not see a thing but there are a LOT of deer tracks through the trees and hopefully next week I will be out again and see something then.

Even if I don't see anything it is still nice to get out and go.

Dewey

Mahatma Gandhi

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Keep the updates coming MN folks.  I'm done for the year.  Freezer is full and I've used up all my "hall passes".[:)]

Previous

Return to Minnesota