scent block

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ranwin33

RE: scent block

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:42 am

I have never purchased carbon clothing and probably never will - it's too expensive for my tastes..  I figure if every part of your body isn't covered with it, what good will it do.  And with breathing and an uncovered head/face plenty of scent is escaping into the air around me.  That said, I do buy long johns impregnated with silver thread and do use scent eliminating sprays.  I don't know if they do a lot of good or not but they aren't all that expensive so I figure why not. 

I don't know if I've ever been winded by a deer - if so it would be one that I never saw.  I have had deer walk almost within touching distance of me and mill about in food plots that were directly down wind of me without ever giving me a second look.   I even had one doe leave her fawn 5 feet from the bottom of my stand while she went out into a plot to eat.  The fawn would cry every so often and the doe would check him/her out but never did she look at me sitting 12 feet up.  Maybe these are the stupid deer that don't know any better and maybe there are deer I'm not ever seeing, but game camera surveys tend to make believe this isn't true.  We're on our property so often that I don't think our scent bother's the deer all that much.  Several times a year they even walk by within 20 yards of the front of our cabin, often times as we're sitting out in our lawn chairs and last year on the second morning of gun season.

Oddly my brother who practices scent elimination about like I do says he has been winded several times.  But he also smokes cigars before heading to his stand so I have to wonder if that more than anything might be the problem. 

ibewman

Postby ibewman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:55 pm

i always thought it was funny on the hunting shows they preach u have to have this stuff and the wind would swirl and they were busted just like that.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Good catch!  You're absolutely right, they're all dressed in their scentlock clothes and those deer still wind them. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:31 pm

I use Scent-Loc. I also shower in scent killer soap before each mornings hunt, and spray down with scent killer spray upon entering the field each hunt. I`ve personally had fantastic results.

The people who claim these things don`t work have no more proof than I do that they do indeed do work.

Go ahead, jump into the class-action lawsuit. It`s the American thing to do after all...........

I`m a believer based on my very own results. Logged in my personal onboard computer, forever in my memory. I never "forget the wind and just hunt". That`s folly to be certain, but I do have a great deal of confidence due to my Scent-Loc liner, regenerated each morning in my clothes dryer, and my scent killer shower and spray. I`ve SEEN wild deer walk right across my entry trail and not smell a thing.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Holy Cow! we agree on something[:)]

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:11 pm

ORIGINAL: vambo991

Holy Cow! we agree on something[:)]

[8D]

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:17 am

for those who believe no explanation is nescacarry ...for those who dont none will do....... i to use scent lok as a final step in a fanatical scent control regimen and have had mature deer within 30 yrds dwn wind trying to wind me without success. im not saying this going to happen every time but my experiences have been enough to convince me. just my take.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:48 am

i dont believe scent lok clothing works, its just a name to get people out there to buy it. everything has scent on it. i use the spray a LOT when im hunting and still get winded every now and then.. i wouldnt buy the clothing just cuz it says scent lock tho cuz that doesnt mean a thing.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:17 pm

Scent killer soap and spray is all I ever use.
I have had deer walk past me while I sat on the ground with cheap camo, and just scent killer spray on, and they were,...I swear to God, no more than SIX INCHES from me without detecting me.
I am not sure if their sense of smell was working or what. I did manage to shoot one though.

However, using the same smell control method, I have had deer wind me and know I was out in the woods and take off.
So what will work?  for me its no gas station stops, I don't smoke, I wear rubber boots, and usually a shower before I go out hunting using the scent killer soap, also.. scent killer spray on truck seats and floor mat, and scent killer sprayed over everything when I get to my hunting spot.
As far as scent lok clothes, I never used them and I probably never will.. I feel its just too expensive for me and from what I read.. who knows if it even works. 
And truthfully I can not ever see spending so much money on these clothing items just to make Bill Jordan and the others selling their clothing, and licensing their camo patterns millions.
I'll continue shooting a deer or two per year without scent lok, it will not make a difference to me, except in my bank account.

Previous

Return to General Discussions