Advice Greatly Needed!

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Advice Greatly Needed!

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Hello, i am looking to buy a showdown by bear archery and am overwhelmed as to what to buy! if anyone else has tips or tricks that i might find useful in regard to what all to buy for it if i want to go whitetail deer hunting. sights, stabilizers, peep sights? kisser buttons? rests, etc. im brand new and have only gone pheasant hunting and nobody else i know can help me out. i would like all your opinions rather than that of some salesperson. i would like to keep each item at the best under $45 or so if its at all practical. im now looking at buying a bow form-a-grip and a G5 meta sight at cabelas, NAP QuikTune 360 RH Camo Arrow Rest, T.R.U. Ball Spyder Speed Silencer ,Carbon Express Teflon Universal Cable Slide ,Carbon Express Cam Kisser Button from Dick's sporting goods,LimbSaver S-Coil Stabilizer from gander mtn.
also, what is the deal with whisker biscuits? it seems like they would catch the fletching... i would also like to know if i will need any tuning equipment and what that might be. thank you so much for your help. im brand new so i hope to have a lifetime of bowhunting in front of me! [8|]
muzzysquirrel

MSHunter

RE: Advice Greatly Needed!

Postby MSHunter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi Muzzy.
Buying a bow when you know little to nothing about it is a daunting task, isn't it? This is my second year bow hunting. I went through the same thing you are experiencing now. You'll get a lot of good advice here on the forum and a lot varied opinions.
Here's how I approached my purchase. I browsed numerous sites online looking at bows in my price range and reading any and all reviews of the models I was considering. Once I decided upon a model, I searched the web to see if anyone sold the bow as a package: sights, rest, peep, stabilizer, etc. I felt this took a lot of the initial guess work out of the setup for me. In my case, Bass Pro had my bow of choice in a package. I made my purchase and had the staff at the store set the draw length and poundage for me. Then practice, practice, practice. The items you have listed are all from reputable companies. I'm sure they are all quality products and would server you well.
I use a whisker biscuit. There are 2 different densities of whiskers. One is extremely stiff and holds the arrow, the other is less so and allows for the flecthing to pass through.
As far as tuning, I don't have enough knowledge on this subject as of yet. I take my bow to a local bow shop for tuning.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Thank you very much MSHunter! [:D] i appreciate the help! i think i will go with what you advise and get a package. any other opinions?
muzzysquirrel

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:56 pm

hey,buddy. i have not shot that bear bow. what price range are you looking to buy a bow. a rest i go with a whisker biscuit, only if your arrows have the to inch blazer vanes.i don't use a kisser.the tru ball speed silencers to me is a waste of money,they really are not that good.i would buy the cat silencers. the bear show down is split limb so get limbsavers for the split limb bow you can't go wrong with them.the stabilizer you want is good, i personally still can't find the best stabilizer for me.they are so many to choose from.the g5 meta peep sight would be great.the sights you want are good.the cable slide i use easton teflon its good and cheap.what kind of arrows are you thinking about, i would try easton axis. but it really depends on the money you have.the form a grip could be good i have seen people buy them and just don't like them,i don't like them.far as tuning get some allen keys.get field tips and broadheads.

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 pm

thank you for your input! i have muzzy mx3 broadheads and some nice field points. i hear the easton fall stalker arrows are the best for the showdown and i have them now. are the easton axis arrows 2 inch blazer vanes? thanks!
muzzysquirrel

Deep 6

Postby Deep 6 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Buy some rage mechanicals BIG HOLES and BIG BLOOD trails. And for the bow and asseries, go to a pro shop and he should be able to steer u in the right direction at ur price range.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Regardless of what kind of bow and equipment you buy, please understand this.....

It is NOT the state of the art gear you buy or the amount of money you spend that makes you a successful bowhunter. It's CONTINUOUS PRACTICE with your bow that will do that. The more you shoot, the better you will be, and the less you will have to think about anything but where on the animal you want the arrow to hit when the time comes. It is not unreasonable to say that you will need to shoot THOUSANDS of arrows before you are competent enough to hunt with it. And but thousands, I mean like closer to 10 thousand than 2 thousand. I've been an archer for 42 years, and I shoot 10,000 to 12,000 arrows a year....ALL year. For me that's no sacrifice, because if I didn't have to work and be a husband and father once in a while, that'd be all I'd do! [;)]

The other thing as a new bowhunter you need to understand is that when you do start hunting, REDUCE the range at which you will take a shot on a live animal by AT LEAST 1/3 of what your effective practice range is. For example, if you are consistant out to 25 yards before your groups start to open up, then for hunting your max range should be about 15 yards.

The other thing you must realize, is that just because a deer is in your effective killing range, it does NOT mean that you should automatically take the shot. Shot ANGLES in bowhunting are vitally important, and you should NEVER consider taking any shot where the deer is quartering to you. Shots like that are responsible for more unrecovered deer than probably anything else. If you do it right, you will pass up many shots that are within your range in contrast to shots that you take. Bowhunting is not easy. No state of the art gear will make up for bad shot angles. That is purely on the person shooting the bow.

Please continue to ask questions, as there are many knowledgable people here who can help you. Good luck!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:53 pm

thank you very much everybody for their advice and opinions! i will look into them all.
muzzysquirrel

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:23 pm

if you get the axis put the blazers on, or they might come already on them.i would go with a carbon arrow, just my two cents.

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:25 pm

ok i have carbons now. whats the difference? weight or performance?
muzzysquirrel

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting