scentlok/facepaint needed?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

scentlok/facepaint needed?

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 pm

im a bowhunter and i was wondering if it was really neccessary to buy all clothing scentlok? and if you do, should the outer layer be exclusively scent-killing or do the underlayers have to be so also? and is facepaint really neccessary? im going to be using a facemask so it seems kinda ridiculous... advice?
muzzysquirrel

Woods Walker

RE: scentlok/facepaint needed?

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Scent Lok has been proven in a court of law to be a scam as it was advertised. They also have a PERMANENT injunction against them stating that they cannot claim that their product eleiminates all scent all the time, and more importantly, that IT CANNOT BE REGENERATED IN A HOUSEHOLD DRYER. This means that if you buy it, all you have is very expernsive raingear that will be pretty much worthless as far as scent control goes in a very short amount of time.

Save your money.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=72812

As far as facepaint or a mask goes, I would not bother with that unless you are ground hunting, as you may be face to face with a deer on their level. I stillhunt on the ground most all the time, and I either wear facepaint or use a face net. If you're treestand hunting it's not really needed.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 am

I always wear a face mask, and I always hunt from a tree. You would be surprized to see how much the white of your face shows up. Would never be without it. It can also help keep your face a little warmer on those cold nasty days in late season when those big guys are looking for food.  
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:04 am

If you have the money to spend on Scent free, scent blocker stuff, by all means do what you want with your money. Remember, all that stuff isn't hyped up to what they say in the magazines and on TV, and doesn't eliminate human odor, it only reduces it a little. Just look around in the forums here, there are plenty of discussions on this matter. There are cheaper ways to reducing your scent in the woods and I think Woodswalker has the link in the post above.
I use a face mask when hunting. I mostly use a camo neck gator. I can pull it up on my face when its cold out and pull it down when I need to anchor for a shot. I know guys who use grease paint but when it's cold out I dont really want that stuff freezing to my skin.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:43 am

Regarding face masks........

They certainly can't hurt in any application that you choose to use them in, however.......

If you do choose to use one, by all means PRACTICE SHOOTING WITH IT....a lot! If the mask causes you to alter your anchor point by even a hair, it WILL have an effect on your shooting, especially down range.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:05 pm

thanks to all for your input! i will look into this matter further
muzzysquirrel

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Play the winds. Also check out the thread "Tips and tricks for ground pounders." Alot of good info is in that thread.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:23 pm

thanks for the input! would people still recommend scent-lok as a credible clothing brand despite the false advertising?
muzzysquirrel

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Uh.....no. It's well made clothing, but it'a also EXPENSIVE, and if it doesn't do what it's supposed to, and you can buy other well made clothing for less money.

Don't forget, the scent absorbing part isn't the worst of it. What's FAR worse, is that it cannot be "recharged/re-activated/rejuvinated" in a dryer, so after it absorbes enough odor that it's "filled" (and it is absorbing odors as soon as the carbon is put in the garment over in Asia), it merely well made, extremely expensive camo.

Spend your money on high grade optics. That will serve you far better than carbon garments that don't work.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:35 pm

ok so what other brand should i use besides scent-lok because my treestand is unfortunately upwind from where the deer walk in the morning
muzzysquirrel

Next

Return to Best Practices