State Land - Where to Hunt

pmsmith2032

State Land - Where to Hunt

Postby pmsmith2032 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 am

This is probably a ridiculous question, but I'm hoping to get some advice on which state area to hunt for the remainder of the 2010 deer archery season.  I've been bow and rifle hunting for over 20 years now on public land, and have never taken a buck larger than a small six point.  Since I've already harvested one deer this year, I would like to concentrate on taking a larger buck.  I normally hunt Shabbona State Park and Silver Springs, but just don't seem to see many respectable bucks (plus a ton of hunting pressure).  The areas I'm thinking about trying are Starved Rock, Green River, Franklin Creek, Castle Rock, or Marseilles (or any other areas within a 2 hour radius of Aurora, IL).  I would like to concentrate on one area for the remainder of the year.  I am willing to hunt from the ground or a treestand, am not afraid to walk long distances to escape heavy pressure, and am in relatively good shape and don't mind rough terrain.  I know no one wants to give up hunting spots, but any advice would be GREATLY appreciated (maybe a PM?)!  Thanks!

EatDeer

RE: State Land - Where to Hunt

Postby EatDeer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:14 am

The IL. digest of hunting and trapping regulations has all the public hunting area's listed. Some new hunting sites were recently opened. 

I really don't hunt public lands, but maybe you can find some place less known to hunters with the new public hunting land openings.

I'd think atleast one buck in your current area should be mature,  it's tough hunting on public land.  

"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

codyalan

Postby codyalan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Have you hunted Shabbonna state park alot this year? This is my 1ST year hunting there and i've seen over 15 bucks that would score atleast 140.I've only hunted there about 5 times i just cant close the deal. I've seen alot of hunters as well.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:00 pm

I hunted Ray Norbid in Pike County as a nonresident and found it to be the best hunting land ever.
If you can find it you can kill it.

Return to Illinois