Just bought my first

JPH

Just bought my first

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:46 pm

I've always been kind of an anti-ATV guy. Well to be honest, I've just been too cheap and I told myself that it was because I was too physically fit or self-reliant to use one. Well I finally grew up. I went out and bought a used Polaris beater so that I'd have something to make my life easier and something to make the outdoors more fun and accessible to my family. Whew, I'm gald I finally got over myself.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is how has ATV ownership changed hunting for those who use them? When do you use yours and when do you leave it behind? What neat ricks for using ATVs can you offer me to help me make the most of mine? Broad question I know, but I want to leave it open to anyone who has advice.

Woods Walker

RE: Just bought my first

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:46 pm

Just one question.....How does someone as fanatical as you are about scent bring himself to use one of these gas/oil fuming machines for hunting?? Unless you aren't going to use it for hunting and just hauling stands and whatnot during the off season.

I mean, you have said that you have special TOWELS that you use for your pre-hunt shower, and that you have a special pad that you sit on in your vehicle as you drive to your hunting site! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:02 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Just one question.....How does someone as fanatical as you are about scent bring himself to use one of these gas/oil fuming machines for hunting?? Unless you aren't going to use it for hunting and just hauling stands and whatnot during the off season.

I mean, you have said that you have special TOWELS that you use for your pre-hunt shower, and that you have a special pad that you sit on in your vehicle as you drive to your hunting site! [:)]

I am actually in the process of disassembling it, cleaning it part by part, and replacing all lubricants with unscented oils. I'm placing a carbon filter over the exhaust and filling the tires with air from the lungs of dead deer.

Either that or I will use it primarily in a support role. Like you said, hauling stands and retrieval of only the most difficult deer. If it is going to go on a hunting trip with me, I plan on gassing it up and loading it before I get cleaned to go.

This is actually why I asked the question. I want to see how the issues of noise and odor are dealt with. Among other issues.  

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 am

I am actually in the process of disassembling it, cleaning it part by part, and replacing all lubricants with unscented oils. I'm placing a carbon filter over the exhaust and filling the tires with air from the lungs of dead deer.

That'd be you alright! [:D]

From what I've seen with other firends that use them for hunting, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Now granted, they are hunting farm deer who are used to seeing/hearing/smelling these things all year long. In fact, my farmer buddy say that that you are BETTER OFF using one to drive to your stand than walking in! I don't know about that, but he's also killed more deer than most of us have seen (many from a combine![;)]).

I do get a kick out of my one deer camp friend, who uses the Scent-Lok, and scent wafers and the like, and then he drives his quad to within 100 yards of his stand and then puts a camo tarp over it! BTW...he kills his share of deer too!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:14 pm

We have 2 atvs. I never use them during archery season except to retrieve downed deer. I use them all summer for many things including hauling stands in and checking trail cameras. I feel that if you regularly ride through the woods the deer do get used to it.  We built a new box blind this year and I hunted out of it a few times during gun season and I would leave 1 hour before daylight and ride it right to the stand. I parked it underneath the stand in an enclosed area where the deer cant see it. And it did not bother the deer at all. I had deer all around all day. My grandpa has been doing this for years with success. I am still not 100% keen on doing it every day. But if I plan on staying all day it might be worth it. Have fun with it. I know for a fact my 81 year old grandpa would not be hunting every day if it wasnt for the atv so that makes them worth every penny!

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:43 pm

I use a atv for the work before and after the season. And to bring out our deer. I always walk in and out when hunting. My father-n-law use to drive about 400 yards from the stand and now he walks in. And he said he sees more deer, and this is on a cattle farm. When I hunt our wmas I always use a deer cart, to keep every body from knowing were my stand is. I think deer can pattern you faster when using them. Even when the deer are used to them. Because the deer know there being hunted and associate the noise with hunters.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:14 pm

I once heard that a 4 cycle quad was better than a 2 cycle because of the lower pitched sound and less smoke/fumes. Any truth to that?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:10 am

We have one that we use before and after season. Mainly to haul stands, wood, and do other odd jobs around the property. My grandpa does not like them because they cause ruts, so we have grown up using them only when needed. I agree with him and have noticed on other properties how they create ruts, and from there, the rain will continue to worsen the the ruts by washing them out.

They are great tools when used wisely. They can be a great workhorse and save a lot of time. I know when ours dies it will be replaced.

I have read (Steve Bartylla) that if you have to use a wheeler to hunt a stand, it is a good idea to wear a rain suit over your clothes to keep them from smelling like gas and exhaust.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 am

Now we're getting somewhere!

I would agree that a 4 cycle would be a superior choice, but I bought an old 2 cycle. It is loud and it stinks. My daughter and I have been riding it around in the yard for fun and our clothing smells of exaust. I have no plans to ride it to the stand, but I do like the idea of an old rain suit as a "shield". I wonder if I could get ahold of one of those tyvek suits they wear in paint booths?

Thanks for the ongoing input!

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:05 am

I also use a rain suit I picked up for $6.00 at walmart. I wear a hat and sneakers when I ride to a hunting spot.
I think if you keep clean clothes in a tote and change where you park, the smell is manageable. As far as the smell of the machine
deer don't seem to mind it. I think you'll find it will be a great tool for working on your property. Now you'll find all kinds of implements
you "need", and notice the machine isn't big enough.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

Next

Return to ATVs