I Can't Believe He's Bragging About This

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Woods Walker

I Can't Believe He's Bragging About This

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:20 am

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... pening-day

You shoot someone's livestock, and you brag about it??? [8|]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Marc Anthony

RE: I Can't Believe He's Bragging About This

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:29 am

Oh, it gets better WW. I read that article last week when a news reporter made a big deal about it and put it on TV. That deer sat for almost a day, in his truck, un-field dressed! They even weighed it before they field dressed it.

All I can say is I bet that was a smelling piece of meat sitting in the southern heat while everyone was going goo goo ga ga over it. [:'(]
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:34 am

OMG!!!!! [:'(]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:00 am

ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony

That deer sat for almost a day, in his truck, un-field dressed! They even weighed it before they field dressed it.

All I can say is I bet that was a smelling piece of meat sitting in the southern heat while everyone was going goo goo ga ga over it. [:'(]

I've noticed that trend a lot lately. As a taxidermist and someone on the "inner circle" of the hunting industry, I'll bet you have too. Hunters who shoot remarkable deer will leave them un-dressed for days so that they can be photographed and recorded. I have to assume that there is little or no attempt to usethe meat at that point.

I'm a big advocate for taking tasteful photographs, but I bring my camera to the sight of the recovery and field dress as soon as that is done. If I have to wait for any length of time, field dressing comes first. 

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:02 am

Whats the difference between this and killing feral hogs??

Not sure about your parts, but animals and plants not native to the local flora and fauna wreak havoc down here.
Sounds like he may have done the state a potential favor.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony

That deer sat for almost a day, in his truck, un-field dressed! They even weighed it before they field dressed it.

I've noticed that trend a lot lately. As a taxidermist and someone on the "inner circle" of the hunting industry, I'll bet you have too. Hunters who shoot remarkable deer will leave them un-dressed for days so that they can be photographed and recorded. I have to assume that there is little or no attempt to usethe meat at that point.

I'm a big advocate for taking tasteful photographs, but I bring my camera to the sight of the recovery and field dress as soon as that is done. If I have to wait for any length of time, field dressing comes first. 

I do the same thing JPH. I carry a camera with me now so I can take a picture right after the kill and before field dressing it. I have to be careful not to send the wrong message as I complain often about not field dressing a deer right after the kill and some of my pictures reflect otherwise. I usually get the pictures taken and begin the field dressing in just minutes after the kill. On another note, my pictures stink and I've been told that often, so I guess I just can't win [&o]
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

dewey

Postby dewey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:27 am

I am not sure why everyone is so against shooting this deer it is was harvested in the wild and not on a high fenced ranch[8|]. If this deer were to walk in front of me I would shoot it as well.

They make it sound like this red deer had mated with white tail deer and this was an offspring of that deer so it is just as willd as every other deer.

I say congrats to you on harvesting a rare trophy.[:D]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:43 am

So what's next...shooting a Hereford bull because "it was big, and it was deer season"?

And what if this guy went coyote hunting and shoots someone's Labrador?

"DAY-UM! I just shot the fattest, blackest coyote I've ever seen!"

If you don't know what a whitetail deer looks like, then you ought not be hunting them. Mistakes can happen, but I for one would NOT be bragging about it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:31 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

So what's next...shooting a Hereford bull because "it was big, and it was deer season"?

And what if this guy went coyote hunting and shoots someone's Labrador?

"DAY-UM! I just shot the fattest, blackest coyote I've ever seen!"

If you don't know what a whitetail deer looks like, then you ought not be hunting them. Mistakes can happen, but I for one would NOT be bragging about it.

Well I guess the discussion is over then [sm=rolleyes.gif]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 am

I just read the article and only have the details presented to go on.

It sounds like the guy honestly thought it was a huge whitetail doe and took the shot.  We shouldn't bust his chops for that.

If he actually let it sit and rot while all the pics were taken....well...that simply isn't the right thing to do.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Next

Return to Breaking News