Layering for the weather

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
ehavs

Layering for the weather

Postby ehavs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:14 am

Was just wondering if any of you have any insight as to what the best way to layer up (Clothes) for bowhunting.  Obviously this is going to be different for the regions you are hunting but was hoping to get a wide array to see the best ways to deal with warm weather to cold weather while keeping scent control in mind.

Thanks

Ifishandhunt

RE: Layering for the weather

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:33 am

This is just my routine and will probably differ from others (I'm in SW Ohio):
I use scent free shampoo/soap/deodorant. Then my first layer (regardless of weather) is a wickaway shirt, then depending on the temps my next layer is a polyester shirt, then my normal camo cotton shirt on top of that. Then my outer layer/coat (a lighter one for fall or my heavier one for winter). If I need more layers before my coat is on, I will layer with heavy military grade thermal shirts (up to two) and then a fleece jacket.

For my feet, I always wear a light pair of wickaway socks, then medium weight wool socks and then heavier thermal socks if needed. My boots are 1000 gram insulated.

For pants, in colder weather I will of course wear those wickaway type thermals and on top of them I'll wear normal thermals.  I'll wear a third layer thermals if it's really cold like 10 degrees. On top of that I'll wear either jeans, cargo pants or sweatpants and my insulated overall/bibs will be my top layer.

Return to Best Practices