scentlok/facepaint needed?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: scentlok/facepaint needed?

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:55 pm

ORIGINAL: muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

ok so what other brand should i use besides scent-lok because my treestand is unfortunately upwind from where the deer walk in the morning

For clothing that eliminates scent? NONE. It doesn't exist. You need to only hunt that stand when the wind conditions are right, and/or have another stand set up for when the wind conditions are not right for that stand. Where I hunt, I have some locations that I may only get to hunt once a season because of the wind, but the wait is worth it.

You can do things to REDUCE your scent, and that certainly is a advisible, but you will never eliminate it. Hunt the wind.....always.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:04 pm

alright thank you for the advice! is there any brand in specific you would recommend?
muzzysquirrel

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Brand of what?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:37 pm

scent-making/obscuring/supressing clothing
muzzysquirrel

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Like I said, none. At least of the activated carbon clothing that's been sold under false pretenses for the past 2 decades. That's be Scent-Loc/Scent Block. There are other new types that emply different science, but all that stuff's pretty new and I can't vouch for it.

Keep your outerwear clean, ONLY put it on when you get out of your vehicle, and take it off before you get back in. Boots too. I store all my outerwear in a Rubbermaid tub that has a cachet bag of dried leaves in it, so that everything smells like a November woods. I also bathe before I hunt in non-scented soap, and I take chlorophyll capsules all during hunting season. I hunt on the ground, have deer inside of 10 yards from me every season, and I VERY rarely get "busted" using these techniques.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Take the Scent Lok bashing comments with a grain of salt.  Do your research and do what you feel is best.

I fully respect the folks at D&DH and from what I've read, they still fully support Scent Lok and others.

Not that I'm going to shout it from the roof tops, but I use Scent Lok and will continue to do so.  With that as a given, I will also take wind direction into consideration first and foremost when deciding what stand to hunt from.

Some say forget the wind....just hunt.  I don't buy into that.  Scent Lok and others will never make you scent free.  My scent lok stuff was all purchased with gift cards or on sale.

I also like to wear a mask most of the time on stand.  It helps block out my big blobby face.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:02 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Take the Scent Lok bashing comments with a grain of salt.  Do your research and do what you feel is best.

I fully respect the folks at D&DH and from what I've read, they still fully support Scent Lok and others.

Not that I'm going to shout it from the roof tops, but I use Scent Lok and will continue to do so.  With that as a given, I will also take wind direction into consideration first and foremost when deciding what stand to hunt from.

Some say forget the wind....just hunt.  I don't buy into that.  Scent Lok and others will never make you scent free.  My scent lok stuff was all purchased with gift cards or on sale.

I also like to wear a mask most of the time on stand.  It helps block out my big blobby face.

By all means do your own research. Check the court records. Click on the link I furnished.

And D&DH still supports them because of MONEY. Advertising MONEY. And my respect for that part of them has gone down in my view. It makes me question a lot of what is promoted in the magazine now. $$$ is powerful motivator.

The court and all the science states that activated carbon CANNOT be recharged in a dryer. That alone negates any "scent reduction" properties it might have.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:02 pm

okay i think ill stick with scentlok and see how it works out. problem is- im hunting next to a non-huntable park and they come up from the park towards my future stand site and thats the only area i can shoot at them without taking a chance that they will branch off to one of the other 4 or so well-worn trails that split off from the main one. i have observed no habit or repetition and they seemingly choose them at random. ill try hunting upwind and if that doesnt work ill take my chances on one of the trails. thanks!
muzzysquirrel

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm with Patriot. Woods Walker and some other posters here have an axe to grind with carbon clothing and they never pass on the opportunity to speak out against it. Hey that's cool by me. This is a good place for axe grinding, as long as it is done civilly. But Woodsy is not exactly "fair and balanced" on this topic.

I have experimented far and wide with carbon clothing and I am slowly moving away from Scentlok. No because I do not buy into carbon clothing, but I have come to believe Scentlok does not have enough carbon in it to be effective. The best results I have ever had with scent control came when I used a military surplus MOP suit. It had a heavy layer of carbon but it was not a practical hunting garment. This year I began using TruCarbonH2O and it has also been very effective.

I'd suggest you look around at the various scent control topics on this forum. There is very little that has not already been said pro and con.

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

This year I began using TruCarbonH2O and it has also been very effective.

where can you buy TruCarbonH20 and how much does it usually run for?
muzzysquirrel

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices