scentlok/facepaint needed?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: scentlok/facepaint needed?

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:02 pm

J'per: How do you then resolve the fact that activated carbon clothing cannot be recharged in a dryer? That kind of nukes ANY scent absorbing benefit they might have, no?

But what do I know. I just hate to see young hunters with limited funds suckered into wasting their money on proven scams by a company that LIED TO THE PUBLIC FOR 2 DECADES. Nobody denies that anymore. And make no mistake, Scent-Lok is a scam. And not by my say, but a federal court's.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:22 pm

ok i think ill try the scent-lok brand at first because it seems to be widely used. i appreciate your help and if it fails ill learn from it. and besides- im getting my parents to buy the clothing [;)]
muzzysquirrel

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm

How do you plan on reactivating the carbon after you use it a few times then?

You obviously think I'm lying to you. Fine. But at least read the link to the court documents I posted. Best of luck to you.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Be careful when you are out there hunting Muzzy....Woods Walker could be right next to you and you wouldn't even know it.  Dude can sneak up on anything.[;)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:11 pm

You betcha'! One minute you're standing there minding your own business texting your buds, and then all of a sudden this bush starts to blow in your ear........[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Well played Woodsie!

Muzzy,
Really do your best to hunt with the wind in your favor.  Your freezer (once full of venison) will thank you for it.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Muzzy... from the sounds of it, you most likely need to hang at least 1, if not 2 more stands in your location.  That way you can decide which stand to sit in based on the wind when you get there.  Seems silly, but i've seen old timers in my area have up to 4 stands within 100 yards of each other.  That way they can hunt a spot no matter what direction the wind is blowing. 

as far as picking a trail, I'm a firm believer in NOT sitting right over a trail.  If a deer uses a trail you are sitting right on top of, you end up with them coming right at you, and then walking straight away... try to find a tree that is anywhere from 10-20 yards off the trail.  If there is a "hub", or place where they trails connect, try to set up off that.  That way if they come in on different trails they will all pass by a specific point.

I like to wear a facemask in a tree.  From what i've read deer don't really see a person when they bust you, they just see something that isn't tree... a facemask can cover up that nice bright oval that's moving around and not show that human outline...

As far as clothing, you should find something you have some faith in and are comfortable wearing and shooting in.  Other than that, don't put all your faith in a piece of clothing to get you close enough to kill a deer.  I dont' use any carbon clothing, but i always make sure to wash my gear in scent-free detergent, try to avoid sweating on the walk in to the stand, use the scent-killing sprays and rubber boots, and sit in the spot i feel gives me the best chance of staying downwind of the deer.  i get busted sometimes, but i've also had a lot of deer awfully close with no idea i was there

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:13 pm

JPH mentioned using a military issued MOPP suit for hunting. Which is a suit that has a charcoal liner in them to prevent biological and chemical agents getting onto your skin. Thats all these scent free hunting suits are, modified chemical suits, and the charcoal in them does expire after a few days of use in the field. NOW, if you can re-charge these suits in a dryer then why the hell did we throw away our MOPP suits in the Iraq invasion after three days of wearing them. Dont take this is an attack on anybody or anyone's opinion, please dont, Im just saying this is what I think of the whole scent free theories. I think its a scam and they are screwing hunters out of their hard earned cash.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm

MuzzySwuirrel....

Deebz said it best, pick what you like and are comfortable in. Comfort in the stand will equal longer sits, less moving, etc. Use a quality scent control program like washing your clothing, playing the wind, etc and the result will be as good as any.

If you feel the carbon clothing is the way to go, go right ahead and use it. I'm as big a skeptic as any but I do like the camo patterns and materials so I do have a carbon jacket. If I can make a suggestion, I'd buy the ScentBlocker clothing instead of the ScentLok. The Blocker variety seems to be more flexible and comfortable, and overall reviews lean towards Blocker having better zippers and lifespan of the clothing.

As for the head / face....I wear glasses and I almost never use a facemask. Rarely does it spook any deer. If they see my face, it's probably cause they know I'm there to start with from a different error I'd make. A facemask does help keep the head warmer, and does help reduce things that may get you busted like "seeing your breath" when it's cold. I would probably recommend having one even if you don't use it religiously.

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:55 pm

thanks for your input! and no, i dont think youre lying! you all are obviously very credible but just have different opinions. my cousin says i should use it because he has deer walk under him all the time. (in face he shot at the buck of a lifetime but was experimenting with mechanicals so it didnt open and we never found it!) i dont have nearly enough money for 2 treestands but ill consider it once i get a job. thanks for the help!
muzzysquirrel

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices