what type of gun is best for a child?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
berudd

RE: what type of gun is best for a child?

Postby berudd » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah, 12 ga for sure. He's bigger than me so he should be able to handle it just fine.

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:31 pm

I personal;ly own and currently hunt wit a mossberg 500 12 gauge and love it! he should have no problem handling the kick from it and should have many good years out of it... I know i have!
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

newby

Postby newby » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:12 pm

ORIGINAL: berudd

I'd go for the combo. I might be biased becuase I have come very close to buying it for my son as well. That sounds like a great price. I think that is what a Dick's here wants for the gun without the deer barrel.

Get the Mossberg and while your at it pick up one for dad and you get the mom/wife of the year award! [:D]

I did buy him the 20 gauge combo.  I can't wait to see his face Christmas morning!!  As for dad...he's made it perfectly clear that if we had the extra money he would like that Savage 110 with the AccuTrigger...

berudd

Postby berudd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Don't rule out the used gun market. You can probably find a nice used Savage for less than new. AccuTrigger will still be more but don't be convinced that you really gotta have. I mean I want it too but I don't really need it.

newby

Postby newby » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 pm

He tried all my brother's guns and he liked every one of them.  lol  What really surprised us though was that his favorite was his muzzleloader.  It was a nice one with a good scope on it and it was very accurate.  His 12 gauge shotgun and his 30-06 were just a tad off.  He loved hunting and can't wait to try it again.  We don't have any land to hunt on at home.  Are state lands safe?  I've heard a lot of accidental shooting happen at them...

Anyone know of a shooting range in the Charlotte area where he could practice with the combo gun?

berudd

Postby berudd » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Ah, sound like you are a North Carolinian as well. I hunt the game lands around Raleigh and while I do keep my eyes open for what others do I feel safe. Only problem I ever had was someone shooting in their back yard that was next to where I was hunting. Just wear a lot of orange.

smwbwk

Postby smwbwk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 pm

30-06 is kinda heavy on the recoil a good 7mm-08 a 308win, or  25-06 one of my favs i think would be a better fit for a 14 yr old and 410 shot guns aren't cheap

newby

Postby newby » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:42 pm

I ended up buying "daddy" the Savage 30-06 for Christmas.  He loves it!  (We already had our gift exchange)  

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo