In NY you can't use a crossbow as long you

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
imaduck

In NY you can't use a crossbow as long you

Postby imaduck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 am

can move your trigger finger? I have been told I can use a vertical bow drawlock only from one manufactor? When I have dozens of crossbow manufactures I can be more comfortable fiting to mu disabilites. When New York has put every wepan except a bazooka and a hand granade...
The index finger rule is stupid, I know 1 armed hunters, hunters with heart problems, older hunters with deterating health, problems with walking and a myrid of other health problems.
I get oh a cross bow shoots like a rifle, when I'v watched hunting programs where the hunters take 80-100 yard shots with compound bows. I have watched pro bow hunters use the crossbow in PA and they were very effective.
When all I want to do is get back into the game seeing I can't pull a compound bow any more.

Ohio farms

RE: In NY you can't use a crossbow as long you

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Yep, sounds dumb to me too.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

zos41

Postby zos41 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 am

Yep, this is a silly law, It is mostly one group of about 3000 to 4000 very vocal archers who are preventing crossbows from becomeing legal in NY for at least those of us who can no longer shot a bow due to age or handicaps.

Contacts or elected officals on this subject and urge them to make a change

metrx

Postby metrx » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:06 am

I think it sucks too.  In my last issue of the NY Outdoorsman paper, they talked about actually having a crossbow season in NY.  Not sure when it would begin...I dont have it with me to reference, but I'm pretty sure it was on the cover page.  The way it read, if I recall correctly, was that it would be a totally seperate season (where they would fit it in is beyond me) but would be open to EVERYONE.  They were contemplating having to have a seperate hunter education course in order to get the tag/license...or possibly just adding some more curriculum for it to the bow course.  Of course, you would have to purchase the seperate license (which would generate more $ for the state).  This is probably the #1 reason why they dont expand the definition of "disabled" in order for more people to qualify to use a crossbow here in NY...as always, its all about $$$.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:18 am

Still a big no...relax disabled rules but...http://www.sc-democrat.com/news/0008August/31/news3.htm

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:24 pm

NY is so anti logic it is unfathomable. Crossbows are no more or less effective than any other bow. As to the being like a rifle... Chemical reaction propels projectile to supersonic speeds vs stored mechanical energy propels projectile to about 200mph, its like comparing a wind up toy to an internal combustion engine.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 am

If it shoots a pointy stick that's propelled by a string using energy stored in drawn limbs, killing via a razor sharp edge that causes shock through massive blood loss and it doesn't go "BANG"...then it's a bow.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:19 pm

thats pretty ridiculous! cant imagine how many people must be angry because they cant hunt with a crossbow due to disabilities and dont want to use a gun because of the noise or something else. i agree with woods walker. should be legal.
muzzysquirrel

Return to Dumb deer laws