Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gutpile

RE: Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

Postby gutpile » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:44 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: mag30079

Wow this is out of hand. Why has this post gone on this long. A guy took a shot he knew he could take. So its not for everyone. The differences we are as people makes us whom we are. Theres no need to lash out at one another. Lets get back to learning from each other and make our sport GREAT.

The thread has drifted, but the initial points were valid-a nearly 1000 yard shot on ANY game animal is irresponsible, thoughtless, and unethical. I don`t care who you, what training you`ve had, or why you`re doing it. There`s absolutely no point to it. It isn`t necessary, and I still question why it ever was even posted here.

I have to argue a little as I believe that it is quite possible and even fairly easy for a trained person to make them shot's...I would have no problem out to 500 yards killin anything, but if someone aint practiced then dont do it..I mean in order to stop shots like this you would have to put a restriction on guns, so that they couldn't shoot as far. And we defenetly dont want that...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 pm

ORIGINAL: Hunt4life

ORIGINAL: JPH

I think it's time for the mod. to lock this thread.

After reading his posts I would hope the thread isnt locked. He's a loose cannon and hell bent on dividing the hunt community. He is angry, insulting with most every post now and a perfect bad example of someone that turns to this type thing when he can't debate the issues.

It is my belief people like this shouldnt be silenced, they need to be given every opportunity to show themselves for what they are: Bad examples of sportsmen and bad for the future of the sport.
                                                                    Your the bad exsample, your a extremist, a liar, a politcal bully, you have no hunting ethics, and you exspect all hunters to follow your lead or get thrown in the fryn pan. Your debating revolves around rallying hunters as one and saving hunting rights, when really your devoting all your posts to bringing out the worst aspect of hunting,and demoralizing this great sport in a public forum.  You need to get off your high horse and accept the fact that with out expressing and exibiting higher standards of ethics in hunting, your worse for the sport than any anti will ever be. I also hope my insults hit home, because I meant every word,for your actions, you deserved them. Trust me my chosen words could have been alot worse.  Deer & Deer hunting isn't scared to debate the un-popular issues of deer hunting by the way, so I don't see them locking any risky threads, or the online editor wouldn't have started them in the first place.  However as you have shown by quoteing the "political hunting propaganda riot act" every time you posted, you can't seem to speak for yourself at all, so much for debating your end of the spectrum with your own words. I will never condone dogging deer or 1000 yard shots at deer, get over it! 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:36 pm

You couldn't be more correct - I have been involved in fighting animal rights extremists politically since they first stuck their stinky heads up in the late 70's - I play hard ball. No doubt about it.
Political Bully�

passin through

Postby passin through » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:38 pm

WOW!  Thats all I can say on this thread.  I read along I see things I agreed with and things I did not.  I read some posts that were indeed written by very smart people and some not so much.  Tons of political stuff that was enough to make my eyes cross and some valid points as to personal beliefs and how they should be interpreted into a national / racial pursuit (by that I mean the human race)  All in all I kept picking out some constants in amongst the testimonials, the debates, the comedy, insults and pleadings.  Ethics and Fair Chase being first among these.  I think it would be cool if someone started a thread to define these individually and what they mean to each of us.  I may do that myself when I have time.  In the mean time my stance is simply that why would you want to make a 1000 yd shot on a game animal?  you have to then drive or walk or whatevere over there to recover it and who would want to do that?  But if you can and you do then go ahead...... 

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:28 pm

TOO much time sitting in front of a screen anaylizing comments and posts....hunting season is coming, go fling some arrows or touch off a primer. Lets get outside.
I hope this does not offend.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:40 am

Passin through,

I'm glad someone else mentioned the drag out part. After the shoot that drag out would be a real pain.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:24 am

ORIGINAL: mag30079

Passin through,

I'm glad someone else mentioned the drag out part. After the shoot that drag out would be a real pain.

were I live, allot of logging roads are gated off, so we have to walk miles sometimes to kill critters, and when you get an elk down, you quarter and put it on your back and head out, most of the deer they kill along ways in they de-bone and pack it up and put it on pack boards and start hoofin it out...Usually it aint to hard to get enough people to help pack out animals...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:36 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

TOO much time sitting in front of a screen anaylizing comments and posts....hunting season is coming, go fling some arrows or touch off a primer. Lets get outside.
I hope this does not offend.

No offense taken shadow-and well put.

maertskard

Postby maertskard » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:23 am

Based on the video, its soundtrack and the ballistics of the .338 / 300 grain round, this shot seems legitimate.  However, it was by no means an ordinary store bought .338 round.  I figure the muzzle velocity was somewhere between 3100 and 3200 feet per second based on the time of flight at just over one second.  There was not much wind involved either based on the type of mist clouds observed at the end of the video. The shooter is highly skilled and has carried his trade craft into the woods to excellent effect.

However, this was in point of fact an unsafe shot for any hunter, marksman and a USMC sniper in particular.  Any military combat arms professional who has spent ten minutes or less at a night fire exercise on any .30 caliber machine gun range can attest to the fact that near miss tracer rounds routinely ricochet dozens and sometimes hundreds of yards up and beyond targets sitting in front of sand berms at base of a hill.  The .338 / 300 grain round this guy fired makes the standard 7.62X51 NATO round look pathetic.  Unless they owned that whole area and had complete control over access to the area down range, one can only conclude they were not in control of their background.

Additionally, I believe they are hunting in bear / cougar country in what looks to me like the Pacific Northwest based on the terrain, the moisture and the clear cuts.  They were well over a half mile walking distance to the target and are lucky they did not have to contend with some other large animal while approaching the kill.

Out here.

Previous

Return to General Discussions