High Schooler Bags Two Trophies (and a doe in 5 mins)

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
1Morgan

High Schooler Bags Two Trophies (and a doe in 5 mins)

Postby 1Morgan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:16 pm

South Carolina Low Country

Rubydog

RE: High Schooler Bags Two Trophies (and a doe in 5 mins)

Postby Rubydog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:31 pm

Ocxt 17th in SC ..... who'ed a thunk ?

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:34 pm

thats incredible! 5 minutes? youd think that they wouldve been spooked by the gunshots?
muzzysquirrel

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:05 am

Isn't that one of the first things you do before you shoot, know what is behind your target? Good for him with the two bucks but the doe. . . ? Not the greatest hunter image IMO.

CoG

Postby CoG » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:46 am

All's fine and good but the collateral doe.  Hope it wasn't an illegal deer!  You gotta be aware of this when you're about to cut loose with a rifle.  It definitely isn't the first time it's happened and I've known guys who've done it intentionally.  I just hope the lesson of "target and beyond" doesn't get lost in the killing of two nice bucks. 

I had to look up the regs, couldn't resist and pasted at the bottom of the post.  SC Game Zone 6.  No antlered buck limit so he's good there.  However, Oct. 17 was not an either-sex day!  But, SC will issue antlerless tags for use outside of either-sex days but there is an application you must mail in then you can expect your tag in 5-7 days.  If he had a special anterless tag or two he's good. 

What are the chances he had one?  Should he get a free pass if it was an illegal deer?  That's the question.  I just stirred the pot I'm sure.

Either-Sex: Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Nov. 6, 13, 20, 27, Dec. 18, 25, Jan. 1
-Benny

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:35 pm

ORIGINAL: CoG

I had to look up the regs, couldn't resist and pasted at the bottom of the post.  SC Game Zone 6.  No antlered buck limit so he's good there.  However, Oct. 17 was not an either-sex day!  But, SC will issue antlerless tags for use outside of either-sex days but there is an application you must mail in then you can expect your tag in 5-7 days.  If he had a special anterless tag or two he's good. 

What are the chances he had one?  Should he get a free pass if it was an illegal deer?  That's the question.  I just stirred the pot I'm sure.

Either-Sex: Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Nov. 6, 13, 20, 27, Dec. 18, 25, Jan. 1

Doe tags only cost $5/ea. Everyone I know buys at least 2, just in case.
South Carolina Low Country

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:45 am

Awesome for the kid, but I am sure glad I don't live in SC. They just take down buck after buck out there.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:12 am

Btw, his daddy has a lot of money into his son's rifle setup.

mbcook

Postby mbcook » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:26 am

I saw this story as well congrats to the young hunter , as for my thoughts on the collateral doe while it may not be the most conscious decision to shoot while the doe was behind the other deer , you can say that "you" wouldnt take the shot yourself, but this is a young man who has the biggest deer he has ever seen in his life standing in front of him in a narrow shooting lane the bucks gonna cross and be gone forever i his mind , the doe may have been to the side and the bullet changed direction slightly once hitting the buck who knows, congrats to the young hunter.

I also live and hunt in South Carolina game zone 6 , there is no where else i would rather be, yes we do have the longest deer season in the country , and an unlimited buck harvest , but this is due to the population of deer we have if it werent for the long season we would be absolutely overrun with deer. It is a very rare occasion for me to drive somewhere at night and not see multiple deer crossing the road , the number of deer you see along the roadside goes to show this. Even though we have this unlimited harvest not everyone goes around blasting everything they see while that is the case for a select few who skew our reputation most of us do practice some form of trophy managment , and game zone 6 consistently produces the majority of the largest deer taken in South Carolina each year. As for the doe being legal there is a very good chance of that each hunter is issued 4 doe tags which you can get before deer season ever starts here, being that it was only october i doubt he had used them all.

SCHINK

Postby SCHINK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 pm

mbcook.....sounds like you need the Wisconsin DNR to help out witht that TERRIBLE problem of all those deer  [;)]
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Next

Return to Breaking News