Illinois nonresident deer hunting

BUCKSLAYER62

Illinois nonresident deer hunting

Postby BUCKSLAYER62 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 pm

I need some help or I am going to have to eat my non-resident tag. I have until the end of archery season to tag a buck in Illinois. I need to know if anyone knows the best non resident public land. I have looked at Siloam State Park. Can anyone give me some feedback? The clock is ticking. I want to tag a 130 or better.
WHITETAIL MANIAC

WCDH

RE: Illinois nonresident deer hunting

Postby WCDH » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:14 pm

That's why they call it Hunting.

It's not about filling tags.

Use it on a doe.

BUCKSLAYER62

Postby BUCKSLAYER62 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks for your help.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Siloam Springs is awesome but you better call the DNR regarding out of state hunting. I know a portion of it is resident only (that may be the Buckhorn part of it) but nevertheless, you better check to make sure!

Weinberg/King state park is also a good one. It runs through both Schuyler and Hancock counties and is smack dab in the middle of west central IL. It's not very well known but if offers about 750 acres.

Good luck!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Try the Ray Norbid in Pike County it was a real winner to me.
If you can find it you can kill it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 pm

I want to tag a 130 or better.

Then go to a game farm and pick one out of the "lobster tank". It'll save you time, aggravation, and money in the long run, and you'll get to select one "by the numbers".

As far as I know, Illinois doesn't rate it's public hunting areas with a numerical score of deer.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I want to tag a 130 or better.

Then go to a game farm and pick one out of the "lobster tank". It'll save you time, aggravation, and money in the long run, and you'll get to select one "by the numbers".

As far as I know, Illinois doesn't rate it's public hunting areas with a numerical score of deer.

I have to disagree, 750 acres is not near the amount of range some rutting whitetail bucks cover in search of estrus doe's.  

The Boone and Crocket club lists the location of every record book buck killed in IL. , with a map marker.  Hunt within 5,000 acres of one of these areas, and wait out a 130" class whitetail.  Just because you don't see them, dosen't mean they aren't or won't be there sooner or later.  

Sure the pressure may be high, but if you put in the time, it's been proven that even on public lands in IL., you can kill the buck of a life time.

Even if it's just a three year-old  deer with 130" rack.  I'd say 130' inches a perfect goal for most of this state's lands, no matter where you are hunting.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:50 pm

My point was that this hunter sounds like he wants a guarantee for his paying out of state fees, like it's a done deal. It's hunting. The deer are what they are, and where they are. There are no guarantees that you will even have a shot at one, no less a demand for "I want one with a certain size antler minimum".

If that's what you seek, then go to a pay to shoot place.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:19 pm

I agree WW. If you come to Ill or any other state expecting a gaurantee that you are going to leave with a "130 or better" deer, then you should go to a pay to hunt farm. Otherwise, there is no gaurantees what you will have walk by and if your not going to be happy with anything else then your missing out on what deer hunting really is.

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Bud, my answer IS very late, but here is my imput for whatever it's worth.   First, I hope you accomplished your goal.  The way you stated your request/goal is open to answers like WW's.  A 130" class?????  Man, short of telling you to go to a paid gig, here is my answer.  There are NO guarantees..., NONE!!!!!  Public lands (not all) hold some great animals.  I can give you a suggestion, but will you score that 130 goal?  Here is my sincere suggestion, just hunt.  Hunt and enjoy the beauty of connecting with nature, the pursuit, the challenge, the cold, the wind.  I bowhunt ONLY.  I kill turkeys, pigs, coyotes, squirrels, and deer..., all public lands - never a guarantee.  This year, I tagged out, again.  I was holding out for a big buck I'd been having great encounters with, just never got close enough.  I used my "either sex" tag on Dec. 22nd on a 110" class, beautiful buck.  I made the decision to take him because he HAD A BROKEN LEG, flopping all over.  Just hunt.  I've eaten "either sex" tags before - holding out for the ONE.  I've used it on a doe.  My respects to you, your goals, and at the end of the day..., whatever works for you.  Placing importance on a number may lead to disappointment, especially when you are paying out of state fees.  I hunt Illinois on a great, highly pressured, and fun piece of PUBLIC LAND.  I am a proud non-resident hunter, like you.   
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

Next

Return to Illinois