scentlok/facepaint needed?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Patriot

RE: scentlok/facepaint needed?

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Muzzy,
I picked up two cheap ladder stands at Menards tonight for $40 each.  Now's the time of year to pick one or two up. 

Best of luck to you.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:47 pm

ORIGINAL: muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

thanks for your input! and no, i dont think youre lying! you all are obviously very credible but just have different opinions. my cousin says i should use it because he has deer walk under him all the time. (in face he shot at the buck of a lifetime but was experimenting with mechanicals so it didnt open and we never found it!) i dont have nearly enough money for 2 treestands but ill consider it once i get a job. thanks for the help!

muzzy: I'm not talking opinions, I'm talking facts. Facts backed up by a Federal court. But it's your money, spend it as you wish.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:02 am

There are facts everywhere and not just from the court for over 10 years.

!999 - Carbon scientist Una Lynch interviewed in Field and Stream. "This can't work scienticically"" totally ignored.

2004 - USDA did a scientific study with Search and rescue Dogs and after 42 test they concluded it didn't make any difference to an animal whether you wore carbon or not.

2005 - Fox news did an Investigative report showing that people dressed in carbon are easily found by an animal even dressed in carbon clothing.

2007 - Court accepts lawsuits from hunters in 10 different states concerning Carbon claims

2008 - Scentloks expert states under oath in doesn't work as claimed.

2009 - Federal Judge rules against carbon clothing claims.

2010 - Discovery Channels Myth Busters shows again that carbon doesn't stop odor enough to keep it from an animal.

How much evidence does it take ?

The carbon companies just totally avoids answering these facts and now the new slogal is that the clothing "dramatically reduces " human odor.
There is anyone who really believes these claims anymore is there

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:56 pm

In the last fifteen years wearing scent-lok liners or clothing, plus being scent conscious. I've yet to be busted. "FIFTEEN YEARS" This includes hundreds and hundreds of encounters with whitetails, anywhere from 4 inches to 40 yds directly down wind. It doesn't matter, on the ground or a treestand. This year was no exception either. During three days of archery hunting this year I shot the 19th and 20th buck I had encounters with this season. Both of these bucks caught me off guard and approached my stand from the down wind side. With the incline of the terrain they were dead level with me and less than five yards, my arrows were literally less than 2 feet apart and the spot looked like a blood bath! Also, there were 2 does who had been feeding directly down wind for better than twenty minutes not more than ten yds from where I shot both bucks. Two days before this hunt in the same treestand, I had spent the whole day watching bucks chase does. At appx 2.30 the huge buck that had run and fought the other bucks off bedded down with 2 does directly down wind from me at appx sixty yds, the does ten yds closer.
According to the experts that we share this forum with the stuff doesn't work, either that or I'm hunting retarded deer. Most likely the latter because I hunt in Mich. where deer receive absolutly no pressure during bow season. It being the 32nd day they felt comfortable enough to be wherever they pleased and I just happened to catch them on there noses day off. I can attest to one thing though for sure, there ears were working. Both of them heard the arrows bust there rib cages!
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:02 am

I can say the exact same thing as you, and I don't wear it. AND I GROUND HUNT!!!

But I'll ask the question again.....HOW does it work if it can't be reactivated in a dryer???

No one seems to want to address that. Wonder why?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:15 am

I suggest you drive to the scent-lok headquaters and ask Greg Sesselman yourself. I believe the stuff works, and I don't think for a minute that I'm sending out subliminal messages to the deer to just come die. I might also include that I've never washed any of my gear for fifteen years. (Scent-lok gear) To those who like to hear the snorting and stomping of deer after being busted don't buy any. I'll gladly shoot running deer as well as naturally moving ones.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:23 am

ORIGINAL: boxcallkid

I suggest you drive to the scent-lok headquaters and ask Greg Sesselman yourself. I believe the stuff works, and I don't think for a minute that I'm sending out subliminal messages to the deer to just come die. I might also include that I've never washed any of my gear for fifteen years. (Scent-lok gear) To those who like to hear the snorting and stomping of deer after being busted don't buy any. I'll gladly shoot running deer as well as naturally moving ones.

LOL!!! Well like I said, I DON'T use it, and I do not hear snorting and stomping either! But I do admire your shooting skills if you can consistantly hit running deer.

As far as asking Greg Sesselman, are you talking about the same Greg Sesselman who's company lied to the consumer for 20+ years with statements like,

"ELIMINATES 100% OF YOUR SCENT, 100% OF THE TIME"???

And I should trust what he says because he said it???? After a Federal court found them guilty?

How do you know when he's lying and when he's not? Is there a secret decoder ring that you need?

How do you explain the fact that others who DON'T use it have similar results? Are our deer mentally handicapped too? Maybe you're selling yourself short, and than over the 15 years that you've been hunting with it, that maybe, just maybe, you've refinded your hunting skills and personal scent control regiment that you'd have the same results even if you didn't use it? I mean truly, the only way to know is if you could have the same deer approach you under the same circumstances with you wearing the carbon suit and without you wearing the carbon suit, which we all know is impossible. But believe me, I have similar experiences as you, and like I said I don't use it.

Look, I'm not accusing you of anything. I do believe that you think it works, and that if it gives you a sense of confidence, albiet a false one, then that's good. The only liars in this scenario are Scent-Lok/Block. I just don't like seeing a young new hunter getting duped with stuff he doesn't need. What he needs is to focus on his basic hunting and shooting skills. Everything else is just add-ons. I mean right in this thread he's asking about using a carbon suit because he wants to set his stand up purposely up wind from where the deer apporach. He will be disappointed and out several hundred dollars if he thinks that carbon clothing is going to be a magic feather that makes him scent invisible. GEAR DOESN'T MAKE A GOOD HUNTER, GOOD SKILLS DO!!!

A good hunter with good gear is more effective to a point, but without the basic skills and just lots of expensive gear as a substitute, you're merely spinning your wheels and making LIARS rich.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:04 pm

ORIGINAL: boxcallkid

If you do get some one to talk to Greg Sesselmann I would like his responce to his own carbon expert that stated that the Scentlok suit can't work.
Also ask why the carbon expert found only 27% of the clothing had carbon and that 73% let odors pass through untouched.

The one thing that is true here is that hunter's are more aware of scent control and that even without carbon they are doing more of what needs to me done to reduce odors.

The fact that your suit works in your opinion still doesn't mean that it does and science has clearly stated that it can't work and thus your results are not based on science but on other things you are doing.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 pm

The truth is that man has hunted deer successfully for fifteen thousand years in North America without using carbon clothing. If you find that carbon clothing makes a difference for you by using it, go for it. It is not necessary to use it to be a successful hunter. If using it gives you confidence, by all means do it. On the other hand, hunting with the wind to your advantage can be extremely productive and necessary. Do everything you can to minimize the amount of scent you leave. Most deer that get a whif of human scent aren't going to wait around to find out where you're hiding.

Twenty years ago hunters were going insane over obtaining UV-proof clothes or unscented, non-UV detergents. Hunters were only so interested in that stuff because the marketing geniuses were pushing it to force an artificial demand for it in the marketplace. My grandfather hunted successfully wearing a red & black plaid Woolrich suit, with no thought about UV anything. In 1990, I worked at a sports shop and I took a phone call from a potential customer who was interested in finding a "scent-free, UV-proof lock for his treestand". I laughed out loud and basically told him to quit looking for such a thing because it was totally unnecessary. How bad did the marketers have him hooked? I'm sure I insulted him unintentionally, but in this case the customer was not always right. Deer do not possess mystical powers that allow them to identify (& fear) a padlock on a stand 25 feet up a tree because it is not scent-proof or UV-proof. Sheesh.

Every year there are new gadgets and gizmos floated out there to see what will sell. If you develop sound hunting skills, you'll see that most of the rest of that stuff is B.S., highly unnecessary, and designed to make the hunter feel inferior if he is not using that product. There is a reason that some "must-have" gadget of five or 6 years ago is probably no longer being manufactured. The things that are truely useful and worthy will stand the test of time.

Look at the Arbogast Jitterbug fishing lure. That lure was invented before my grandfather was born and he passed away 5 years ago. You can still find them in a tackle shop across the country. It is still made because it works. How many people out there use a Jon-e hand warmer? You remember those, they were filled with lighter fluid and were to be lit and placed in a pouch, then put into your pocket. My grandfather used one because that was the technology of the day & it meant his hands would be warm. What we eventually found out was that type of hand warmer might set off ammo in your pocket, catch your clothes on fire, or at best make you smell like lighter fluid. I'd bet that not too many hunters use them anymore.

Work at developing your hunting skills. While other things may help you, they will not be the reason for your hunting success.

I use a facemask to break up my outline and prevent my face from sticking out like a sore thumb...it keeps my big nose warm too.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:32 pm

I used to wear Scent-Loc stuff, and still do on occasion........once, I was sitting on the ground with a bottle of doe-in-heat pee next to me, when a buck came crashing up from the bottom to the ridge I was sitting on......he smelled the doe pee, but apparently not me......that little basket 8 is on my wall......

I believe in Scent-Loc, but there is more to a scent regimen[font=arial] [/font]than just that......I launder ALL my hunting clothing in scent-free detergent, I shower in scent-free soap, and I spray down liberally with Scent-killer spray before I head afield........

I`ve had wild white-tails 4 feet away, downwind, and they saw me, but didn`t know what I was........

Take every advantage you can.......new technology gives you a huge advantage, IF you can afford it. If you can`t afford Scent-Loc, at least use scent-free detergents and sprays....they work, I promise.
[/align]
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices