Probs with Breech plug or is it something else?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Iowahuntress

Probs with Breech plug or is it something else?

Postby Iowahuntress » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I am new to muzzleloaders and I recently bought a CVA Optima. I am using B/H 209 90 grains. I am using Barnes TEZ's and CCI shotgun primers.
The problem I am having is I have quit a few miss fires and hangfires. I started with Federal primers and was told they arent hot enough. So I switched to CCI. I am still having the problems,just not as often. The hang fires are brief, but long enough to throw my shot off. Out of 30 rounds I have had 7 miss fires and about 4-5 hangfires.
I have talked to others with CVA optima that have never had problems.
Is it the breech plug? Is it the primers?
I dont know enough aout this to know what I should do or try next.
Any help would be great!

viking61

RE: Probs with Breech plug or is it something else?

Postby viking61 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:25 pm

The main thing with muzzleloading is proper cleaning/ maintenance. How often are you cleaning it? (after how many shots). Regradless of so-called clean powders you will still get residue that will clog your breech plug and prevent proper ignition, will cause hange fires/misfires, etc. After no more then 5 shots(peferably 2), pull your breech plug and clean the hole with a nipple pick
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... type%3DGNP.

A paper clip and a pipe cleaner also work fine. I use standard CCI 209 primers with 777 pellets and never had a misfire.

Iowahuntress

Postby Iowahuntress » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:58 pm

I clean it about every 5-10 shots. But, I need to add that the miss fires and hang fires have happened on the first shots before. Also, after these things happen I have taken the plug out and I can still see through it. So it isnt plugged.
I do clean it with a pipe cleaner as mentioned. I also fire off just a primer before I even load the gun.
I will do as mentioned and clean it sooner.
Thanks

viking61

Postby viking61 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:26 pm

The only other things I could think of is that either the powder is damp/old or the powder/pellet is not fully resting against the breach plug so the gap is causing misfires. Good luck

Iowahuntress

Postby Iowahuntress » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Just spoke to Scheels and i think they are going to switch me guns. Some have said that maybe the firing pin not be set right. Does this sound like B/S or a possibility?

viking61

Postby viking61 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:53 am

It's a possibility but if you're consistently firing a primer before you load the gun and it looks like it is indenting it fully I don't know.

I did some google searching, some other owners have had problems with the firing pin, supposedly a known defect (you would think they would have fixed them before selling any more

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=65452

So once you get the replacement gun, you should be good.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:33 am

Blackhorn 209 requires a hotter primer as it has a higher ignition temp.  Also you should be cleaning with a standard Hoppes type product not soap and hot water like a ML with regular propellent.  It does leave behind an oily residue before cleaning.
  Check your breach plug and hold it up to a light source.  You should be able to see through it.  You'll need a small thin piece of semi-stiff metal to push through it especially after cleaning.  You can also place a clean white cotton patch all the way down an empty barrel and fire a primer off.  Hold the barrel down at the ground or your basement floor and the primer will blow the patch out of the barrel if everything is correct and there will be a star type pattern on the patch.

CB

Iowahuntress

Postby Iowahuntress » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I should just switch brands. I will talk to thm about it when I get there. I hope it all works out. I just know I havent had this many issues with my bow. Maybe I should stick to that![;)]

Iowahuntress

Postby Iowahuntress » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Just got back from the range. Scheels gave me a new bottle of BH209. I shot 10 times with no problems. Oh and they gave me Winchester primers to try. I hope this is the end of my problems. Thanks for the help!

Return to Guns and Ammo