Do you want more deer in PA

Everyday Hunter

RE: Do you want more deer in PA

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 am

Let's try to disagree without hurling insults.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

SlyAsADoe

Postby SlyAsADoe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:32 am

Tex you're funny.  Anything I've said about the deer on this 50+ acres is fact, not opinion. 

Oh, If it would make you feel better there are dozens of deer around.  Just ask the guys that pay to shoot in the deer parks in this area.

Steve, some guys always have to be right even when wrong - that's what keeps the lawyers in business and all the "innocent" people in jail. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

roughrider 123

Postby roughrider 123 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Sly, my hunting area butts up to homes, roads and open farmland. The does on this property may have me pegged but i could of taken all of them at one point thru the archery season. I've been archery hunting for better than 30 years and this season was one of the worst. I hang my stands the winter before I hunt them. My question is how do the bucks that don't live on this piece and only cruise thru know my whereabouts and consistently travel at night? I use the wind at every opportunity and rotated thru 8 different stands for 6 weeks and never 2 days in a row at the same stand. I believe with the new antler restrictions, early muzzleloader, early rifle, early bow, extended bow seasons we are hunting a smarter and older buck then we did 30 years ago. Almost total nocturnal movement except for late october, early november and late january.

Out again tomorrow,

roughrider out

ishman

Postby ishman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Moutain Lions. Are we talking about mountain lions? Come on. They arent here and probly never will be. I hear alot of talk about it but one phrase makes everyone shut up. "Prove It". But you did forget the other two major predators against deer. Sasquatch and Wolves. Come on people. Also, I didnt realize that whitetail bucks had their own does! Thats new to me.

AbsoluteArchery

Postby AbsoluteArchery » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm

ORIGINAL: SlyAsADoe

Tex you're funny.  Anything I've said about the deer on this 50+ acres is fact, not opinion. 

Oh, If it would make you feel better there are dozens of deer around.  Just ask the guys that pay to shoot in the deer parks in this area.

Steve, some guys always have to be right even when wrong - that's what keeps the lawyers in business and all the "innocent" people in jail. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

sly what i think tex was saying is that you need to base your deer research off of more the the deer in your backyard NOT whether it was fact or fiction

and as far as that laast comment about being right or wrong, i think you should read it again and look in the mirror
Absolute Archery Outdoors 100% Fair Chase 100% of the Time in a Backyard near YOU...

Jldombach

Postby Jldombach » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:45 pm

hey you can choose wether or not you want to believe me but i saw a mountian lion in Bradford County in October through binoculars. When i first saw it i thought it was a deer, but after puttting the binoculars on it i saw a cat with a long tail that went to the ground and curled up. If thats not a mountain lion i don't know what is

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:55 am

i dont care whether people belive me or not, i saw two running together in bradford county kellogg mountain, 2001, south branch,one mile right off route 220. whether the PGC put them here,(just like the "coy" dogs years ago) or they were someones pet, they are here.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:46 pm

ORIGINAL: tex3012

i dont care whether people belive me or not, i saw two running together in bradford county kellogg mountain, 2001, south branch,one mile right off route 220. whether the PGC put them here,(just like the "coy" dogs years ago) or they were someones pet, they are here.

Say what you want about mountain lions. It's entirely possible that two were seen running together, but that doesn't mean wild mountain lions live in PA. Maybe they do; maybe they don't. All the PGC has said is that no evidence exists that there is a wild breeding population of mountain lions in PA. That's the same thing the Eastern Puma Research Network says, and they WANT to find evidence of the big cats in PA. But last I checked they haven't been able to document the presence of mountain lions.

As far as coyotes are concerned, there is no evidence that the PGC put them here, and some solid evidence that they didn't. They didn't need to. I find it interesting that every eastern state has coyotes, and the game agencies of every eastern state have been accused by somebody of stocking them. I suppose this rumor will never die, but for more info, read these:
The Pennsylvania Coyote Conspiracy
Black Helicopters and 18-Wheelers, or Manifest Destiny?

All that said -- and to get back on the topic of this thread -- I wonder what effect the bear, coyote and bobcat populations have had on the deer population. All three will take fawns. Are healthy predator populations partly to blame for lower deer populations, and not just the HR policy?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

firman

Postby firman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:19 am

I have been hunting for 43yrs i have prime property in union co. and mckean county.  i am sick and tired of guys saying the deer are here you just have to hunt hard, excuse me but i think alot of them would have a hard time keeping up.  I can drive to camp in mckean from union, thru lycoming, tioga, potter, to mckean day or nite to and from and not see a single deer.  I hunt coyotes all over buffalo, nittany, and whitedeer mtn. also turkeys and see very little if any deer, this yr. hunted a prime farm in union co. 1st day rifle, i saw one doe with a yearling.  The sticker on my window reads { pa. game comm. buffoons} and if you keep shooting doe's it applies to you.

ishman

Postby ishman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Firman,
         This may be a problem where you are hunting but it isnt for everybody. I do believe that some places have been over harvested. In my area, 2d, this is not the case. We still have does running all over the place. Yesterday morning, by 8 we had seen 14 deer, none with antlers. Needless to say, we each shot ourselves a doe.

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania