baiting in pa

Everyday Hunter

RE: baiting in pa

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 am

ORIGINAL: CONLEY14

BAITING SHOULD BE ILLEGAL EVERYWHERE. IN OHIO IT IS ILLEGAL ON PUBLIC LAND BUT NOT ON PRIVATE, SO HOW STUPID IS THAT? I JUST THINK IT MAKES IT EASIER FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO PUT IN THE WORK TO KILL A DEER.

[size="1"]Conley, if you were invited on a hunt in Saskatchewan, would you go?[/size]

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

doit

Postby doit » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:35 pm

ORIGINAL: danesdad

ORIGINAL: doit

Lets doit, everywhere, if you want. make it a matter of choice. I know guys in Jersey that still can't kill a deer, even over bait.
You suck you suck, if your good your good. lets face it.

Look, bro, hunting is 10% skill and 90% location. You hunt in places where there are no deer and all the bait in the world isn't gonna help.

My Friend, i think you have it backwards, skill 90% 10% location, If your skilled than you'll be in the right location,
and if your hunting where there are no deer, than your really not hunting, your on a nature walk.

Everyone that is saying no to baiting are not giving a reason for their opinion, If you hunt a natural food source than i think you would be for baiting,
but if you don't like to hunt food source, I't tough being in a tree with Falling acorns around and a Doe group comes in it can be really tough to get a shot off. I'm talking Bow season here. Gun season could be easier, but than again. when i see a hunter during gun season i always ask how the luck, and i mostly always get the same response. 0.
I love to hear the story's from my Buddy In Jersey, In his club the Guys don't do any better now than they did before Baiting was legal. The deer really have these guys Patterned.
Baiting hasn't really made any easier for them. but for other guys it has, It depends on the hunter. some guys get Buck fever so bad it wouldn't matter. I wonder how may guys would admit to getting really bad Fever and Blow the shot.

bmt4413

Postby bmt4413 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 pm

I'd say no to baiting. There are a few reasons, but I'll skip my views on ethics. From a scientific standpoint it should not be allowed. Disease is far more likely to be spread. I'm sure many will argue that nose to nose contact happens without baiting, but the chance of increase of exposing deer to disease is higher when feeding fom a concentrated food source. For example, West Virginia has found cases of CWD in Hampshire county. It used to be just north of rt 50, but now has expanded to other areas in the county. Baiting is now illegal in the entire county. If this is a threat to deer health then why allow it at all? Baiting should be illegal, period.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:37 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I would favor baiting in the special regulations area, but not across the state.

Actually, you had your wish. Baiting was tried in the special regulations areas in southeast PA on a test basis. The purpose was to draw deer from unhuntable areas into areas where they could be hunted. I'd have to look it up to be sure what the results were, but I don't think it was as effective as the PGC thought it might be, and as of now the test program for baiting has been discontinued.

I don't know what (if anything) is being done now to solve the problem of deer overpopulation in those areas. If the deer would only pack their suitcases and move to Potter! Seriously, an email to the PGC would probably let you know what is currently being done.

Steve

I understand that is what occurred. I'm not sure why it was stopped either but on the surface, I would support baiting in PA under these circumstances.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:24 am

Lets doit, everywhere, if you want. make it a matter of choice. I know guys in Jersey that still can't kill a deer, even over bait.
You suck you suck, if your good your good. lets face it.

Look, bro, hunting is 10% skill and 90% location. You hunt in places where there are no deer and all the bait in the world isn't gonna help.

My Friend, i think you have it backwards, skill 90% 10% location, If your skilled than you'll be in the right location,
and if your hunting where there are no deer, than your really not hunting, your on a nature walk.

Everyone that is saying no to baiting are not giving a reason for their opinion, If you hunt a natural food source than i think you would be for baiting,
but if you don't like to hunt food source, I't tough being in a tree with Falling acorns around and a Doe group comes in it can be really tough to get a shot off. I'm talking Bow season here. Gun season could be easier, but than again. when i see a hunter during gun season i always ask how the luck, and i mostly always get the same response. 0.
I love to hear the story's from my Buddy In Jersey, In his club the Guys don't do any better now than they did before Baiting was legal. The deer really have these guys Patterned.
Baiting hasn't really made any easier for them. but for other guys it has, It depends on the hunter. some guys get Buck fever so bad it wouldn't matter. I wonder how may guys would admit to getting really bad Fever and Blow the shot.

No, it's 10% skill and 90% location. If you are in an area that is overpopulated with deer and you can sit still for a reasonable amount of time and you can put crosshairs on an animal and shoot, you'll kill a lot of deer. How do I know this? Because TONs of hunters in Pennsylvania had been doing this for years before AR/HR. How many guys got deer year after year sitting in the same stand? All the skill that took was the same skill it takes to wait for a bus. Big deal. Then after the herd was reduced (often drastically in some places) and these guys that had it easy for years stopped seeing deer what did they do? Did they show their skill and find deer in other places? Well, some of them might have but a VAST MAJORITY just whine and complain about the PGC. FOr many, if not most of Pennsylvania hunters location was the only thing that mattered.

I agree with you that if you have enough skills, you'll put yourself in a location where you'll see deer. But I dont think very many hunters have the skill because part of it has to do with having a lot of time and a lot of access to different hunting places. And not a lot of hunters have that.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

jstriner

Postby jstriner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 am

I lean towards no baiting, but I could see in specail cases where you might want to use it.
Striner's Whitetails Hunting Preserve:
http://sites.google.com/site/strinerwhitetailspreserve/

firman

Postby firman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:35 am

Hey danesdad, maybe they bought a piece of property so they could do just that, i know i did so i had guaranteed place to take my sons.  now they have to find a new location, maybe we'll show up where YOU hunt.  I hunt prime deer habitat, woods, farms, with all kinds of feed, hundreds of acres and lucky to see a couple deer. Now you tell me thats right. I could kill a deer every year, buck or doe, but, have to put in alot of vacation time to do it.  Hopefully some kid will get a chance at a small buck or doe i pass up, and i refuse to shoot a doe.  Doe are for kids, i feel bad for those fathers who want there children to hunt with them but wont because they go and dont see anything.  Next year i'll buy just regular license because i hunt coyotes all over the state, if i kill a deer with my bow i'll buy a tag same with bear.  I live in union co. and the deer hunting here stinks.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:57 pm

People hunt over food plots, cultivated fields, fallen mast and fruit; use scents and mock scrapes. It is all baiting. 

Ole 20 Point

Postby Ole 20 Point » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 pm

At the Jaunary 30, 2011 meeting, the PGC will be voting on adding limited baiting on red tag program properties located in 5C & 5D...

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... 329&mode=2

ADOPTED RULE MAKING

C. Adoption of proposed amendments to §§147.552 and 147.556.

Commentary: To effectively manage the wildlife resources of this Commonwealth, the Game Commission, at its October 5, 2010 meeting, proposed to amend §§147.552 and 147.556 (relating to application; and lawful devices and methods) to create a focused, limited authorization permitting the baiting of white-tailed deer in wildlife management units (WMUs) 5C and 5D on approved properties enrolled in the Red Tag Program.

Recommendation: The Executive Director and staff recommend FINAL ADOPTION of these amendments to 58 Pa. Code as shown on EXHIBIT "C."

Action: 6

EXHIBIT "C"

CHAPTER 147. SPECIAL PERMITS

Subchapter R. DEER CONTROL

AGRICULTURE

§147.552. Application.

(d) Applicants from wildlife management units 5C and 5D only may be eligible to obtain approval to engage in limited baiting activities to enhance deer control activities on their properties. Approval will be based solely upon an applicant's demonstrable need for a baiting authorization as evidenced by written justifications or other evidence submitted on or in addition to the application at the time of application or renewal.

§147.556. Lawful devices and methods.

(a) Devices. Subpermittees are authorized to hunt and take deer with firearms, bows and crossbows as may be authorized for hunting deer during the regular firearms deer season as provided in the act and § 141.43 (relating to deer).

(b) Methods. Subpermittees operating under the authority of a permit with an approved baiting authorization are authorized to hunt or take deer through the use of or by taking advantage of bait subject to the following limitations:

(1) This authorization applies to private lands in wildlife management units 5C and 5D only.

(2) Bait may be placed or distributed 2 weeks prior to the validity period of the deer control permit through the close of the validity period as established in § 147.553 (relating to permit).

(3) Bait accumulation in any one location may not exceed 5 gallons total volume at any given time.

(c) Further restrictions. A permittee may further restrict the use of devices and methods authorized under this section on lands under the permittee's ownership or control, or both.

Central-PA_hunting

Re: baiting in pa

Postby Central-PA_hunting » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:32 pm

I feel like if you own your own land you should be able to bait if you want to, and I dont even own my own land. Also certain areas in the state like others on here have said would be fine. I live in section 5-a and this section gives out the least amount of doe tags in the state, this section is really struggling with deer managment really the only way to see deer at least in my section of 5-a is to walk around and find them. so sometimes I wish I could bait but there is arguments for both sides and im just happy to be in the woods and hopfully see some deer!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania