The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
passin through

The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

Postby passin through » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Basically what I'm asking here is how were you taught?  Ethics in hunting comes up a lot these days and I thought it would be fun to ask each to look back and see how you started and who taught you to conduct yourself as you do while you hunt.  I'm NOT asking for anyone to run anybody else down or to condemn various ways and methods of hunting.  To kind of start the ball, some of the things I was taught from the time I could trudge along with a cap gun in the squirrel woods with my parents or grand parents were:  Leave it as close to as you found it as possible.  Take no more than you need.  Make a good shot.  ect.  How about you?

Woods Walker

RE: The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Well, that was a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago, but the main points I remember were:

1. Gun safety!  This was THE most important item.

2. Only shoot at game that is on your side of the blind/dog on point/etc. 

3. ALWAYS offer to share your bag with the people that you're hunting with, and the landowner where you're hunting. This also applied to lunches and snacks. If I have an apple, I will always offer to cut it in half to share with my hunting partner.

4. If you hit a deer and can't find it, you DON'T GIVE UP, until you've exhausted every avenue and possibility, even if it takes DAYS.

5. (This one, and #1 are the two that drive me even to this day). Try to LEARN something new about the natural world, whether it'd be about game, insects, non-game animals, trees, rocks, and even DIRT, EVERY TIME you go afield!  It's ALL part of the whole, and the more you know about anything and everything in a deer's world, the better hunter you will be.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Make the first shot count, and take care of your animal properly, thats the first things taught to me...And as I got older I notice there were many things taught to me that I didn't realize till I was older. Like to repect the animal you hunt, keep the woods clean, always help friends pack animals out..And have a deep respect for nature, when I was younger all I wanted to do was kill the deer, elk, bear, etc..But now I have learned to appreciate everything about hunting from the time spent with friends and family, to all the sites and sounds you see and hear in the brush..Nature is wonderful... 
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

# 1 If you are not working to defend hunting, you are working to end it.(Some will recognize this as a quote from Fred Bear)
# 2 Be couteous to the land owner and others you encounter in the woods.
# 3 Ask permission to hunt private property
# 4 If you come in with it, leave with it
# 5 Be 200% sure of your target and what is beyond it.
# 6 Exhaust every effort to recover game you kill

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:16 pm

I learned the foundation of my ethics from my father. I also learned some of what not to do myself, by watching over other hunters with horriable ethics, many more then I care to admit here,or discuss.   I think one of the best lessons I have ever learned ethicaly, is to eat what you kill, and kill it quick as possiable. Not everyone has the luxury of a father figure in thier lives, so I try to set a good exsample to hunters getting into the game later in life.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:46 am

many of the reoccuring themes were part of my raising also . gun safety , respect of the landowner as well as your hunting partners. my grandfather taught me as well to have a profound respect for th game we pursued, to never waste anything, and most importantly to give thanks to the lord for the blessing of the game and our ability to take it.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:03 am

Sounds good so far!  Bit embarassed I forgot gun safety when I started the ball...Not that I don't associate the two but guns were a big enough part of my upbringing that good gun handling was more like breathing.  

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 am

I first started hunting 44 years ago. The following definition of what I consider hunting "ethics" is a result of what I've seen, and experienced over the past 4+ decades, of trapping, raising and training bird dogs, waterfowl hunting, and hunting most species of north American big game with gun and bow. 

Some won't agree, but here it is:

For me, "ethics" means this.....you obey the LAW, and you become as proficient as humanly possible with YOUR weapon of choice, and you ONLY take high percentage shots that are in YOUR personal effective range, so that when you do decide to take an animal's life, you do it with the least amount of suffering as possible.

Everything else is ego, IMO.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 am

I was not exposed to hunting when I was young.  I was out in the woods a lot, starting about age 10, but I was more of the collector/amatuer biologist.  I did not start hunting until I was an adult.  For starters, I only had outdoor magazines like Outdoor Life to guide me.  I had started with OL when I was six, reading it in the barbershop. 

When I was in my early twenties, I fell in with some old farts who let me tag along.  One was a vet from The Bulge, another was a ex-Marine armorer who could boast 2 weeks at Khe Sahn prior to TET .  Another was the retired editor of a gun mag. One guy owned a gun shop. That was where I got my real upbringing as a hunter.  Prior to all this, I had been a caver in the National Speleological Society, and been in on some heavy trips underground.   The caving had taught me self-reliance, team work, and how to deal with survival situations.  It probably got me my bones as least as far as the vets in the group were concerned.  I was the baby of the bunch, and they were more than happy to remind me of that. I think they enjoyed having a willing student and some young blood in the group.

It didn't take long for the group to start falling apart, and within 10 years there had been several guys that had passed on, and it was just myself and Bob.  Bob's legs went shortly after that, and although I talk to Bob regularly, his days afield are long past him.

For the past twenty years, I have been trying to find the intelligence, wit, and comraderie that I lost when those guys checked out.   I spent many years alone in the field. It made me go out and have three sons, build a deer camp and do it all as a DIY project.  2 of the 3 hunt with me, and I treasure the time I have with them.  Now that I am beginning to resemble my old buddies, that is really important to me.

What foundation did they leave me?

1) You ain't getting any younger sitting on your duff.  Go hunt before its too late.
2) It all ends way too fast. No one gets out alive. Cherish each blessed moment
3) What you do in the field is the ultimate test of you, you among men, you before your God. 
4) Treat it all as deadly important, and carry it as light as a feather.

Regarding Gun Safety:  There are only two state of a gun.  Loaded, cocked and aimed downrange and unloaded with the action open.    Safeties aren't.  The barrel of the gun will be pointed willfully at all times, either at the target, or in a safe direction away from what you hold dear. All firearms are loaded until proven conclusively otherwise and all present concur.  There are negligent shootings and there are suicides; there is no such thing as an accidental shooting.

Regarding Hunting: One shot-one kill is a dream for sofa jockies. Be prepared to take the first best shot you can. Shoot. Re-acquire your target, and keep firing in a controlled fashion until you are either a) out of ammo, b) the target has disappeared c) the target is down d) the target has moved out of position. There will be no golfer's syndrome in the ranks.   The ideal shot is one where the animal falls dead in your sights with the second round loaded and the rifle returned to battery.  The second best is an empty magazine, a smoking rifle, a steaming carcass on the ground, and three shots into the boiler room before the deer got 10 yards.  Also: if you like what 30-06 can do at 100 yards, you should see what it does at 10 yards.

Regarding Shooting:  One can only throw a ballon  so far and so fast. You can optimize for velocity, bullet diameter, or recoil. Pick two of the three.   The cost of reducing the group size is a curve logarithmically  propotional to the proposed reduction in size.   Death Rays are science fiction. Walnut figures bear no relation to downrange effectiveness.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:15 am

Shaman: You sure had some GREAT teachers and role models! 

Next

Return to General Discussions