2010 Pa Deer Season

roughrider 123

RE: 2010 Pa Deer Season

Postby roughrider 123 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:39 am

Tex, I hunt just outside of town on Essroc Cement company property. The company allows employee hunting only. I used to hunt windgap off of 8th street on gamelands before they shot the herd all to hell. I got hired at Essroc 3 years ago and only hunt there now.

This morning I saw nothing, kicked up one bedded close to my stand getting in.

Checked the scrape camera on the way out and got a 3.5yr. old 8pter 120 class staring into the camera at 3:30 this morning.

Gotta get the corn off before he shows himself in daylight.

If you want some advice, hunt the indian tower area. There are some huge oaks close to the cell tower that usually contain deer. the problem is they usually bed low towards gracedale and head up to the oaks in the evening. All that corn is off up there and nobody hunting mornings yet.

roughrider out.

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:11 am

rough,

i have a camera in gracedal and seeing all buck activity in the morning. lots of small bucks 2 different spikes and 2 y bucks. i do have a picture of a bigger 8 point earlyer in the summer. iv noticed the more mature deer go accross the street to the quary in october and venture through gracedal once halloween hits. two years ago right after halloween i shot a 3 1/2 8 point, had no pictures of him, never knew he was in the area.

also iv heard that essroc's club put a 3 1/2 rule on bucks and no guns allowed.. if thats true you will be having amazing hunting in your future over there.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:50 pm

deer season has been going great,

i have been out 4 times and saw deer three of those times...a nice seven point at 15 yrds, but let him walk

and 7 does so far...

i hope the next few weekends bring more bucks around , well see

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:36 am

[font="times new roman"]This bow season has been very good for me as well, I have seen plenty of deer every time I have went up the tree. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]This last Saturday I had a great 9 point and a big 8 running between 200 and 60 yards away.  It was very exciting!!! I probably saw 20 deer that afternoon, young bucks were chasing does all over the place, the mature bucks weren't interested yet though.  The big 8 did come running at me with his neck swollen up when I made some noise with my new Primos Up-Roar, what a great call that has been for me this year already.[/font]

storm73

Postby storm73 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:30 pm

did alot of archery hunting this year...shot a doe about the 4th wk...lookin forward to 1st day...hope to see the Iowa size buck i did last year...almost ran me over after nearby hunter shot at him...it was enormous...

doit

Postby doit » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:14 am

My opener was great afternoon with a bunch of deer under the stand but after that down hill, hunted a few spots and seen very little to nothing, Sign as far as rubs and scrapes very sparse, although i did find  a couple of really nice rubs but could not get any pics of the deer that made them, anyway my buddy found a hot spot with multiple scrapes, since he filled his tag he gave me directions on how to find the stand, which is tuff in a swamp area, by the time i found it and and got settled in it was 4:30 and at 5:10 this guy walked in, Nov 2. a decent 2.5 for my area. my goal fulfilled but really was my worst season as far as action goes. best of luck to those with tags still in hand.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Had a great Gun opener - i am glad the PGC did not crumble under the pressure of the public because deer hunting in Pa continues to get better every year.

I hunt in 3 pt on one side area where there is not a lot of crop land but the reduction in doe and the Ar's have help grow bigger heathier deer.

Unfortunatly i did not bring a camera so i will have to wait for my friend to forward me the pictures - to show

at camp there were 4 of us this year - my buddy shot a big half rack - and i know it sounds funny but when you see it you will be amazed that the other half was broken off.

and i got a nice 8 pt

the other guys did get anything but missed a nice seven pointer -

Jldombach

Postby Jldombach » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Was out saturday hunting public land near Middle Creek, Lancaster County and saw a Piebald Doe pretty cool to see, still looking for my buck

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:17 pm

well here is a photo of my 2010 buck - it is not the best pic in the world but got tired of waiting for my buddy to send the decent pics.

It is not like i am trying to be on Deer and Deer hunting TV any way!!!

Well this is one of the two deer killed on opening day from our camp - my buddy shot a bigger half rack - you will have to wait to see the photos of that on but the story behind the hunt is...

Opening day of PA rifle - somewhere in PA not in a 4pt area on Public land - the wmu and game lands will have to remain a secret - or else we will all be having coffee on stand next year!!!!

it was cold and we always treat gun like bow season - staying scent free and in the stands well before sunrise - because we know that alot of huters do not get in the woods til right before sun up as it is graying outside or when it is actually light out.

We usually see deer pretty early but this day was odd - not one deer not even a doe before noon - though it was cold out it was also really bright out the night before deer must have been laying down before sunrise.

well needless to say it was a slow start to the 2010 rifle season - i saw my first doe about 12:30 then another shortly after that - then BOOM my buddy sitting a couple hundred yards away shot - i did not know at the time that it was the biggest buck that we had taken in the decade we have been hunting here( if it had both sides anyway)

the day continued to be slow seeing a doe walk by here or there - 5 in total until 4:30 - not so good - so far - but not to long after 4:30 a group of three doe came by then following them a group of two doe - well things werelooking up - then a spike - hey first buck of the day!!!!

11 deer not to bad on opening day ( oh i know it is not the 40 a day you ole' timers are used to but pretty good).

well the spike was hanging out for a few minutes in the thicket and suddely bolted out of there - i thought it was kind of funny then i saw what he ran from- this nice 8 pt - yeah it isn't going to win a prize on drury out doors - but for where i hunt in PA it was a nice but - above average - hope that it becomes the norm but for now it was a shooter for sure.

well i got him in the cross hairs and Bang - down went frazier - droped in its tracks and going on the wall at my twin lakes camp!!!!!

oh not to mention Jerky for Christmas!!!!

roughrider 123

Postby roughrider 123 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Rifle season proved out like usual, get some guys in the woods and the deer get locked down. Saw 4 does 1st week and 32 deer with 2 yearling bucks the 2nd week. Deer also herded up early 2nd week and I saw 14 does together the last saturday. Most movement was 1st hour of daylight and last half hour before dark, 13 sits for me during gun season at around 36 hours total.
I got 10 pictures of yearling bucks during the gun season, 6 of them in daylight.
The big boys have not been photographed since 11/27, thanksgiving week.
Starting to get pictures during late morning now as food concerns and cold temps get them moving. I'm layed off for the winter and looks like I'll be out during winter bow alot.

roughrider out

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania