Buck Blues

piebal

RE: Buck Blues

Postby piebal » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Lets face it the bottom line why mass has low deer densitys in some areas the first thig are head honcho who leads the derer project manager is a dope!

piebal

Postby piebal » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 pm

We simply need to hand out more doe tags and have a antler restriction every spike or 4 point gets lead to the chest i understand people wanna shoot just any deer thats why handing out doe tags is a smart move are deer heard is unbalanced I spend over 1000's of hour in the bush every year relentlessly chasen to kill and looking for there head gear when they fall. last year shed hunting it was march 13 i krept up to 3 coarkers all had the head gear and a week earlier i saw fresh scrapes and rubs the bark was still ontop of the snow.....way to many does not enough bucks there is not enough of bucks to do all the breading....shoot every doe you see!!!!....Except the berkshires....there is some giants that are in that country when the snow is on the ground i will be a permanent fixture there ive tracked some monsters that took my breath away and when theres snow in the brekshires and you track........ you will see him shoot him or shoot at him.....and it wont come easy! dont make plans for a few days ...But before the snow i like everyone else chase whitetails in suburbia......hunt hard hunt safe

thule

Postby thule » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 am

Gentleman

On my way out @ around 4:30pm on 12/4/10 I had a deer jump out right in front of me no more than 5 feet away. What I saw was a big body way up in the air then it land to my right with its white tail up. Raised the gun to my shoulder and dropped my eye into the scope but could not put the cross hairs on target, it was too dark. Talk about adrenaline rush holly crap! This was exactly what I needed to keep me motivated, what a feeling. It was just me and this deer in the middle of the woods. So I decided to walk in the direction the deer was going because I knew most times they stop and look back. The few steps I took crinkled the leaves and sticks and off it went again deeper into the woods. Risking the chance of getting lost at night I pulled back and headed to the car which was a half mile hike. Exciting exciting, I'll be back out this afternoon.

piebal

Postby piebal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:50 pm

listen....when in low light conditions both eyes open do not use the scope, you waste to much time lookin for the deer in the scope when he starts running even with both eyes open put the gun on your sholder look down the barrel at the deer with both eyes open and keep droppin the hammer!

thule

Postby thule » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 am

piebal

You are spot on! This is only my 2nd year and still learning everytime I go out. Your right, I wasted to much time. It was my natural reaction thou. I now know I have to break that reaction considering the conditions. I'll never let that happen again thats for sure. Thank you for pointing that out. There were 2 copper solids rifled slugs in the gun which is more than enough stopping power.

It all makes sence.

piebal

Postby piebal » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:25 pm

2nd Rut is here the woods are getting torn apart again, the problem is most of the activity is under the cover of darkness but the doe movment is happening between 10 am 200pm been seeing it for a week then you wont see them till night thats whats up on the state line alot of that movment is because of surburbia.So hunt tight to the houses thats were the big guys are hangin escapeing the hot lead...hunt with the bow they kill deer in the gun season too! Hunt hard Hunt close!

heightman

Postby heightman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:52 am

thule
You stated that this is your second year hunting. They call it hunting season for a reason otherwise it would be called killing season. Please don't get me wrong I am not trying to be a wise as". Just wanted to let you know that I to had a tag collection durning my first years of hunting 13 years worth of tags before my first filled tag. After that first I was succesful for the next 4 years. Then about every other year. Now it has been 5+ years of nothing. Last year only saw 4 deer from archery to blackpowder all of which during bow season. A small buck way out of range and a doe with her 2 skippers had a perfect 13-15 yard shot at any of them but let them walk [must be getting soft in my old age ] So far this year I have hunted hard since opening day of bow and have yet to see a deer. Was out this morning and again nothing would have stayed a bit longer but besides freezing need to get to work for 11. So with that said good things take time dont give up. Your day will come.

P.S. I to am in zone 10 in the lowell/dracut area. I mainly hunt the state forest not much hunting pressure. If you would like to give it a try let me know.

thule

Postby thule » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Heightman

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your not being a wise ass but just stating facts! I get it.. I see the clear picture we do not live in Texas. Things are moving were I am at right now so the plan is to finish the shot gun season strong. I'll be heading out this afternoon.

FYI I'm sure if we went out together we would have a blast! I'll let you know.

Best

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:50 pm

I taught myself how to deer hunt back in the early 90's.  It didnt take me long to learn that scouting is the ticket to success. In fact the 2nd best season of the year is fast approaching, SCOUTING season starts 1/1/11 for the 2011 season. I burn boot leather until the leaves re-emerge and constantly look for new stand sites. I dont mean just walking around the woods looking at sign. Find hot spots and figure out why the deer use them and when.  Find white oaks and you will know where you may start next Oct.  Read books.  Find the pinch points. Find the spots in the woods where different types of cover come together. But in my opinion, the absolute best thing a rookie can do is hunt where there are deer and study them everytime on stand.  NY, CT, and NJ have very healthy deer numbers and you can hunt these states without investing alot of $.

piebal

Postby piebal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Proline i like that you start scouting 1/1/11 you are wasting time on future stand sites in winter it all changes in the winter woods. I am like you im am relenetless in my persuits but instead of stand sites im on the hoof jumping the bucks and let them take me to every escape route and hidding place they know and i will store all information and year after year its the same i have been hunting for over 20 years and have the trophies to prove it is a tactic thats pays off but the amount of hours you need to spend chasin is rediculous and i will often find the antlers of the deer i have been chasin.....which is the next key to sucess find the headgear...In March when im done chasin its gores right to horn huntin i think thats the next best thing to killin them...Shed huntin is the info to what you have to hunt. I have over 200 shed antlers that are 100% wild found on the forest floor In Mass and Conn and have killed many deer that i have there earlier sheds...thats cool stuff! i have takin two nice deer this year including a piebal who was 3 and been watchin him since he was a fawn also a 161lb 8 point not a gaint i bet he was one of the ones i was chasin last year. in the snow it pays off and before this season is over i will hope to fill my muzzle loader buck tag ....thats the plan....Hunt hard!!!!!! i NEED SOME SNOW!!!!
ORIGINAL: Proline

I taught myself how to deer hunt back in the early 90's.  It didnt take me long to learn that scouting is the ticket to success. In fact the 2nd best season of the year is fast approaching, SCOUTING season starts 1/1/11 for the 2011 season. I burn boot leather until the leaves re-emerge and constantly look for new stand sites. I dont mean just walking around the woods looking at sign. Find hot spots and figure out why the deer use them and when.  Find white oaks and you will know where you may start next Oct.  Read books.  Find the pinch points. Find the spots in the woods where different types of cover come together. But in my opinion, the absolute best thing a rookie can do is hunt where there are deer and study them everytime on stand.  NY, CT, and NJ have very healthy deer numbers and you can hunt these states without investing alot of $.

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts