Moultrie Game Spy D-50 IR

Patriot

Moultrie Game Spy D-50 IR

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Hey folks,
I'm finally getting with the times and picked up my first trail cam....Moultrie Game Spy D-50 IR.  Got it for $60, so that seemed good.

It's still in the box (early Christmas present).

Do any of you have/use this one?  Any feedback on this particular model?

Thanks! 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

easports

RE: Moultrie Game Spy D-50 IR

Postby easports » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Patriot

Where did you get the camera for that price?

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Running's Fleet Farm in Benson, MN.  They had a one day only special.  I figured for $60, I'd take a chance.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 am

I just received a D-55IR for X-Mas...how has your D-50 been working?

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:30 pm

That is a good price, I would have grabbed one up too. I don't have the IR model, I have the same camera in the regular flash model. I've been using it all season, it's been working great. The picture quality is good. It's better than my moultrie D40, and I would say pretty darn close to the cuddeback I have, picture quality that is. I still have it out, it's been working well. We got some below 0 temps a couple weeks ago and it didn't seem to want to take pictures when it got that cold, but now its been in the 20s and 30s and has been working fine. Battery life has been average. I got a thousand pictures on the first set of batteries, and am still working on the second set. Overall, one of my favorite cameras. I'd buy another one.

As a side note, I have a couple of IR cameras, and I havent had the best luck with either of them. They take good day time pictures, but the IR flash just doesn't work well. One of them is a Wildgame Innovations, and the other is a stealth cam prowler. The night time IR pics are too dark to see unless the animal is within a couple feet. Ive also noticed that the IR flash actually seems to attract more attention from the deer than a regular flash. Go figure that one out. Anyway, good luck with yours.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:41 pm

I think that's actually the one I have.  It's still in the packaging. Can't wait to use it though!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:39 am

Well I set out the new D-55IR the other afternoon...and we had a snow storm...It took 10 pics....of the SNOW STORM...but this is an area I  had seen a yote...soooo

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:03 pm

We've had more snow ...but not as heavy as the last that came through...noticed the field was full of prints so switched out cards...so far ...I like this camera.....

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 pm

I got a new Moultrie IR 60 this year. So far I like it real well except the aiming laser is not as easy to use as the old game spy cameras were. I'm not sure what the battery life is going to be but I know if you leave the laser aim on when you set the camera, it'll go dead in a couple of days. (Oooops) It also needs a larger strap to attach to most of the trees at my place. Picture quality is good day or night.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Ive been real happy with my D50, too. If I buy another camera in the near future, it will be another one of these moultries. They're inexpensive, as far as game cameras go anyway, and the picture quality is great for my needs. When it gets below zero temps, it seems to not want to work as consistently, but that's ok. I generally pull my cameras in for the dead of winter anyway.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras