Tree Stand Mishap

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Sir Robin Hood

Tree Stand Mishap

Postby Sir Robin Hood » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:39 pm

On Thanksgiving Day three years ago, I came in very late from a late night job. I was very tired but was determined to go deer hunting that morning. So, I took a scentless bath,took a thirty minuet nap - got up,dressed for the hunt and proceeded to drive 70 miles to my honey hole. I had just recently purchased a full body safety harness. I really didn't like it because it took longer to put  on (compared to the old waist strap harness. But, something told me to put it on. Thank God that I did because on that beautiful crisp cold morning-I could have been severely hurt or worse:killed because I fell asleep and never felt myself falling head first to the ground. The harness saved my life beyond a shaddow of a doubt. Fellow hunters: Don't go up the a tree with your full body saftey harness. The life you save,may be your own. I am so thankful to be here to share this story with you. Sir Robin Hood
Bust "Em" Up!!

Patriot

RE: Tree Stand Mishap

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:13 am

Welcome to the forum Sir Robin Hood.  I bought a HSS harness this year.  To be honest, I don't like it.  It's so restrictive when I try to draw my bow.  Any ideas?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Sir Robin Hood

Postby Sir Robin Hood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:00 pm

I Bow hunt also and not restricted in any way. In what way does it restrict you? I place my tether(that's connected to the tree) high above my head and it never gets in my way.
Bust "Em" Up!!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:04 pm

This was my first year with it and only used it a couple times.  If I put the tether high up, I couldn't sit down.  If I put the tether low, it got in the way of my draw arm elbow.....when I drew while facing to the right.  It was fine if I drew with the bow facing straight in front of me or to the left.

Maybe I'll just add a length to the tether itself.

I'll have to work with it more to figure things out.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Sir Robin Hood

Postby Sir Robin Hood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Whatever you do-don't climb a tree stand with out it! It will save your life.
Bust "Em" Up!!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Patriot ----- You should have just enough slack in the tether line to be able to sit down comfortably . If you have too much slack and fall , the sudden jolt of stopping could do some serious damage .
Semper Fi !

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:34 am

You are lucky Robin Hood. I am a huge advocate of safety harnesses. Hopefully others will learn from your experience.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to Tree Stands