Smell this...

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
BamaHunter

Smell this...

Postby BamaHunter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Me and a buddy were reminiscing the other day about how we used to rely on the old methods of fooling a buck's nose.    Now that everyone is into scent "elimination", the "masking" part is not as big a deal anymore.

Does anyone even used the Fox or Racoon urines anymore?

I know my wife is sure glad I do not....as hard as you would try that smell would just saturate everything....for days!

What other tactics have faded away or evolved that you can remember?

Patriot

RE: Smell this...

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:45 pm

I don't mess with any kind of scent anymore.  I used to do scent drags, set out scent "bombs", etc.  I don't bother with them now. 

Just one less thing to dink around with.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:10 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I don't mess with any kind of scent anymore.  I used to do scent drags, set out scent "bombs", etc.  I don't bother with them now. 

With age comes wisdom (or is it laziness?). At this rate in 10 more years you'll be a regular deer hunting Dahli Lama!!! [:D] [;)]

I threw all that junk away a decade ago and haven't looked back!

You know when you've really achived the pinnacles of high wisdom? When you look out at the thermometer in the pre-dawn and see that it's at -2, and you conclude..."I DON'T CARE HOW BIG HE IS....IT'S TOO DAMN COLD"

And then you pour yourself another cup of coffee, drink it, and and go back to bed for another few hours, and then go out hunting when the suns up like a civilized man!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: Patriot

With age comes wisdom (or is it laziness?). At this rate in 10 more years you'll be a regular deer hunting Dahli Lama!!! [:D] [;)]

I threw all that junk away a decade ago and haven't looked back!

You know when you've really achived the pinnacles of high wisdom? When you look out at the thermometer in the pre-dawn and see that it's at -2, and you conclude..."I DON'T CARE HOW BIG HE IS....IT'S TOO DAMN COLD"

And then you pour yourself another cup of coffee, drink it, and and go back to bed for another few hours, and then go out hunting when the suns up like a civilized man!

Wisdom sounds better than laziness.  I'll go with wisdom in this case.[:)]  In ten years look out Woodsie...you'll be still hunting and suddenly feel a slight blowing in your ear.......[:D][:D][:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:32 pm

In ten years I'll most likely not remember...or care...what either of them meant! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:42 pm

ORIGINAL: BamaHunter

Me and a buddy were reminiscing the other day about how we used to rely on the old methods of fooling a buck's nose.    Now that everyone is into scent "elimination", the "masking" part is not as big a deal anymore.

Does anyone even used the Fox or Racoon urines anymore?

I know my wife is sure glad I do not....as hard as you would try that smell would just saturate everything....for days!

What other tactics have faded away or evolved that you can remember?

Sometimes, I use fox urine for coyote hunting. That fox scent really brings them in for getting closer shots near brushy areas.

I was thinking about adding the coon urine to a few earth scent wafers to change it up a little for late season.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

ChuckNorris

Postby ChuckNorris » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:33 am

The only thing I use is regular doe urine in a small spray bottle. I spray the bottom of my boots every now and then while walking the woods. I also spray it every hour or so once I become stationary, either from a treestand or more often than not on the ground somewhere. If I'm going to smell like anything I figure it might as well be another deer.

Hmm, maybe that's why that buck was walking and looking directly at me during the gun season. He was walking on the same path I had walked on the way to my ground blind a couple hours earlier. Maybe if I had arched around before going to my blind he would have given me that shot opportunity that I was waiting for.
It only takes one deer to change a hunt from disappointing to very satisfying.

lswoody

Postby lswoody » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:50 pm

I still use fox urine and coon uriune

piebal

Postby piebal » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Throw all the scent crap away if you put any kind of scent crap around here on the ground there wont be a deer around for miles of the scent the smaller the heard the smarter they are if you hunt in a stae with a 300,000 head count of deer mabey some stupid deer with investigate not the case here it would be educateing and they already have there masters degree.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:03 am

Besides the Scentblocker suit and Scent Killer spray, I don't use too many other scents anymore.  Maybe a couple few times a year I will during the rut but that is it.  ...and this is mainly doe estrous scents that I either hang by my stand on scent wicks or drop a few drops into active scrapes.  I find that the more pressured the area is, the less they will respond to things like this...I think this goes along with calling (rattling, grunting, etc) as well.  Sure they'll work, but not as much as say on a very low pressured area.
QDM!

Next

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking