2010 scouting notes

DeerCamp

2010 scouting notes

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:56 am

Hey everyone! With the 2009 deer season in the books, now is the time to get out there and do your scouting for this years hunt. The snow is on the ground and the deer are up on their feet looking for food. By packing a backpack of useful toolssuch as: gps,handwarmers,food,water,ect....One can head out to the woods for a full day and enjoy. Walk down deer trails look for bedding areas, food sources, escape routs, etc..Be sure to look at last seasons notes as well as seasons before that for tips and other information you may need before heading to the woods. Also when you find that special spot, dont be shy about putting a trail cam up to see what made it past the hunting season. This can really get one excited for the up coming season. BE SURE to look over topos and arials as well before heading to the woods..

Here are a few links
www.maps.live.com -- great overheads of your area.
www.michigan.gov/gohunt -- shows you all the state land that is in your area.

[font="Courier New"]In this post lets share all of our scouting adventures for the upcoming season.[/font]
I found the michigan.gov/gohunt very helpful for me as I just moved and have already found some good areas on the map. I shall be heading out soon to check her out.

Good Luck to all this season!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

boxcallkid

RE: 2010 scouting notes

Postby boxcallkid » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Deercamp,

I see from one of your earlier post, that you must be attending F.S.U. I cut my teeth hunting in that area. Mostly west of B.R. though. Your definatly in the core of a great area to deer hunt, as well as turkey.

I scouted yesterday, took the ol yellow lab with me of course. I wanted to take advantge of the nice weather, and the other rare and unique oddity of having standing corn still in the field.
Normally this time of year would find very very little activity on this general farmland area.
I had two motives in mind when we first left the truck. First was to look for sheds in the marsh areas. I like to take advantage of the ice and comb these spots before spring thaw. Number two, there is a particular spot that always receives lots of mature buck rubbing activity and I've been at a loss trying to figure out there line of travel?
With the standing corn, and increased deer activity in the area I was finally able to unravel the mystery! After studying the area carefully I found a great spot to set up, and like a kid in a candy store can hardly wait for next season. Also, I didn't find any sheds.

Scouted today, 1-17-10

This is a smaller piece of private land and directly east, on the other side of the road is standing corn also. The level of activity was amazing here also. Looked for sheds in the bedding areas as well as walking the heavily used runways. No sheds, but did run across 2 seperate flocks of turkeys. First was a small flock of appx. 12 hens. Next was a group of 5 mature toms. Normally there would be no turkeys in this area this time of winter. Depending on how long the corn stands, I'll be watching this area closely for a early season turkey spot.

I did something to my left knee today. After about four hours the pain was unbearable! I took the easiest way out to the road and limped all the way back to the truck. This has me concerned, I struggled to work the clutch and short shifted all the way home. I'll wait to see how it feels tomorrow.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:22 pm

http://www.maps.live.com/
great overheads of your area.

Gotta agree with you here...their the best quality satellite images i`ve come across. They`ve also got a "birdseye view" in some areas(mostly only high population ares)these are actually aerial photography from airplane...ck out these views of my house. I think i see some deer in the woods.[;)]

Heres a big swamp i hunted, theres a small dry island out there with a nice runway out to it...didn`t see any deer though...i probably scared them all away[:@].

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 am

Boxcallkid- that is very encouraging news to hear that I am in a good hunting area! I have seen a lot of turkeys around here, but I believe I will be heading to Midland to hunt them there. As for deer, I looked over a top of some state land. It looks really good as I found some great spots and one spot IM REALLY EXCITED to see. Has what to me looks like an amazing funnel! Thats great that you got out and found that spot. I cant wait to get out, I cant imagine how you feel after finding that spot..

As for me I will be heading home this weekend to get my gps and trail camera. I also will be doing a little scouting around home.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:17 am

Man those Birdseye photos are amazing. How did you get them on here? I would like to print off a pic of my hunting area but I was unable to figure out how.

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:26 pm

I clicked "print screen" on the keyboard, and then "pasted" it into "paint"(in paint,click edit,paste). I then used the "select" tool in paint to make a box around just the area i want, and then copy and paste into a new paint(file>new).

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Sweet! I got it. Thanks!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Well I walked the woods today for about 2.5hours looking for sheds and new spots. I found one right by where my old stand was that I put up this year. I think its going to be a great place. It has lots of run ways, creeks, and thickets. As well as oak trees near by. I found a tree that Looked to be good.Its covering some good ground and a few deer trails go by it. There were a few old rubs in the area, from what looks to be a respicatal buck. This is also over looking a swamp. I decided to go here after always seeing deer cross the road and heading into the other side where the woods thickens. Last year I saw a few deer during blackpowerd, out of there. I did find a few signs of human, however no stands. Im going to go out and take another look at the area as soon as my knee feels better....( I went to my old stand, noticed some jerk tryed shooting the lock off so I climbed up it. On my way down I was about 20" off the ground when I kinda fell.. I twisted my knee all up and its not looking to good. I have a feeling it could be my ACL.But Im praying that it is not!)

lolo12

Postby lolo12 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:14 am

Hey, thanks a lot for the two wonderful links. They were quiet useful in locating the appropriate area for deer hunt. The satellite images are also very cool giving a clear insight about the area and kind of woods. I also found some turkeys around that area during my last weekend. 

Return to Michigan