pump vs. Semi auto vs. Single shot slug gun for deer

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
chris56

pump vs. Semi auto vs. Single shot slug gun for deer

Postby chris56 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 pm

I want to get a new gun for deer hunting but i dont know which to get my 3 guns that i have narrowed it down to in each category are

Ithaca featherlight 12g with a cantilever barrel

remington 1187 field 12g with cantilever barrel

Thompson center Pro hunter in 12g

I do deer hunting and a bit of upland hunting, and some skeet shooting.
I have been using my 20g rem 870 up until now but i wanted to get a new gun.

What i like about the ithaca is the reliability, that old look, and how it shoots. What i like about the 1187 is the semi auto capability, how it shoots, but its a little on the heavy side. What i like about the Thompson is its ability to be several guns with just the purchase of a new barrel.

Is there anything that makes one action or gun more accurate than the other? What are you experiences with these guns? which of the three would you take on your next hunt?

forkhorn

RE: pump vs. Semi auto vs. Single shot slug gun for deer

Postby forkhorn » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:20 pm

the t/c pro hunter is one very fine firearm.

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:27 pm

I am a pump fan and wouldn't trade my 12g Remington 870 with cantilever bracket for anything. Reliable gun, dead nuts at 100yds with copper solids. Never jams and can be stripped down in seconds when it is soaked from in a rainy hunt. Reasonably priced to boot.  My buddies have semi autos and all experience jams at some point except the guy with the $1200 Benneli. For birds I stick to my Ithica 20g side buy side. Nice and light.  Basically saying one gun doesnt do it all for me.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:37 am

I would say that it depends on several factors:

1)  If you're stalking deer and intend on jumping them like rabbts, I can tell you my Remingtion 1100 with a smoothbore deer barrel is fantastic.   Otherwise the semi-auto is not a great idea.  If you do go the semi-  route.  Learn to lubricate the gun so it does not freeze up in the cold.

2)  Pumps?  I have a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel that is ridiculously accurate.  You mentioned the Ithaca 37.  Look at the Ithaca DeerSlayer series.  I would say a pump is probably the best overall choice.

3)  Maximum accuracy?  I'd still go with a bolt-action.  See TarHunt.com.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:22 am

A 'fixed' barrel will give the most in accuracy.  This used to mean a bolt action like Tar hunt, the Browning Abolt(1996-1998) which are discontinued or the Savage 110 & 220F.  Now Remington and Ithaca are both offering fixed barrel models both in pumps I believe.
I have both a Browning Abolt and a Savage 220F.  Both are extremely accurate as far as slug guns go and both have draw backs.  The Browning can be knocked out of battery very easily by slight upward pressure on the bolt handle.  You'll be able to pull the trigger and will get a very light strike on the primer which almost always will not fire the round.  You have to be aware of this when still hunting especially.  These guns can be found but command high prices.  Mine shoots a 1" group @ 100 on a good day.  I also have a Savage 220F and used to have the 110.  Both shot/shoot well.  The 220F's drawback is the length of the bolt cycle and the angle in which the hull is ejected.  You need manhandle the action to cycle the empty hull out otherwise is lays in the chamber preventing another round from being chambered.  I sold the 110 because I did not like the way it loaded/unloaded.
I know that many of the TV pro hunter use the TC Encore/Prohunter series with the rifled slug barrel if they're in a shotgun only area but I have never shot one.  Their muzzleloaders in this series are accurate.
My son has a Ithaca Deerslayer 20ga made in Kings Ferry circa 2001 which has a removable rifled barrel.  I placed red Locktite on the barrel threads and replaced it thus making it fairly permenent.  An Ithaca can be serviced from the rear by removing the stock.  It shoots Remington accutips very well and I wish I could locate another of this specific model as it is very light weight compared to the current production out of Ohio.  Good luck with your purchase.

CB

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:40 am

Well over 30yrs and counting ...my Browning 20ga smooth bore pump ...has been reliable and accurate for all my hunting...As for deer using Breneke 3"mags ...no problems on 100yrd shoulder thru and thru shots...she's easy to clean and I hate cleaning my guns[;)]

D A Smith

Postby D A Smith » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:48 am

You might be safer to stay with another 870, however, the Ithaca is also a pump so it would be easy for you to adapt to using it.  Main difference is the bottom ejection of the Ithaca.  The Remington is alittle heavier but, is also gas operated so the recoil will be less then the other guns.  The semi auto is nice for fast follow up shots or to move as little as possible between shots.  All depends exactly what is your main use.

retiredsailor

RE: Pump vs. Semi auto vs. Single shot slug gun for deer

Postby retiredsailor » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:43 pm

You know, Chris, I'm not an expert on this topic, but I've read a great many articles and heard a lot of testimonies about how accurate bolt-action guns are. Frankly, I don't know first-hand because of all the guns I've ever owned, for some reason I've never owned a bolt-action gun.
I'm mostly into pumps and single-shot guns.
So, while the word seems to be that Bolt-actions are best, I would not trade my 40 year old Remington 30.06 pump for any other gun.....period.
Single shots are also fun and they force you to take your time and make the best possible shot, since it may well be the only shot you get. That puts something of a challenge on the shooter.
Get whatever you feel comfortable with and then shoot that sucker every time you can until you are driving tacks with it......then you will be ready for the hunt.
Good luck.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

heightman

Postby heightman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:48 am

As for me I would say look into the Mossberg 500. I have owned one for 20 years now. It has a 28" field barrel and a 18 1/2" slug barrel. The First deer I shot with it was at 99 yrds. and was a neck shot with open sites. The 500 is dead accurate even with the beating it takes walking through the brush. As for pump/Semi pump,s almost never jam and once you get used to the gun they are just as quick as semi,s after all you still have to take aim again after the recoil.

Return to Guns and Ammo