.243 Win., enough gun or not?

Powell1120

.243 Win., enough gun or not?

Postby Powell1120 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:21 pm

I recently read an article in another publication that suggested that the .243 win is useless as a deer cartridge. What do you think?

Personally, I think that is enough gun to kill deer with and would not think twice about taking it to the woods with me. I think that much of the perception of this catridge as a deer gun comes from people using the smaller 85 and 65 grain varmit loads. I find it hard to believe that the .243 loaded with heavier 100 grain loads will not get the job done. Would I take shots a deer at 300 yrds? No, but that speaks more to my confidence in my shooting ability at that range, and personally even if I felt comfortable taking the shot, that distance is more shooting than hunting anyway IMO. And lets be honest, how often do you really NEED to take a shot that long. I would venture to say even at that range, as long as it was well placed it would still manage. Is that a smart shot? No way. In the end I would say it does have its limitations at longer ranges (250 yrds +), but is a very capable deer gun.

I bring this up because Iowa offers a limited rifle season in January that I am thinking of participating in. I own a .243 Model 70 but have never hunted with it and would like other opinions on it, because as much as I hate to admit it my way of thinking is not always right.

blueeyeddragon76

RE: .243 Win., enough gun or not?

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:33 pm

In my personal opinion no .243 is not big enough.. but that is just my opinion... i feel that a .270 is a good place to start especially for the longer range shots (175 yards or more) If you are under that then 30-30 or 30-06 are great guns for deer.. there is a reason they are known as brush breakers... the problem is ot just the size of the bullet, but also the impact at range or knock down power as it were... think of how a bullet acts.. it impacts and spreads a wave of pressure destroying tissue and organs... the smaller the bullet, at a lower speed with less retained energy may only injure a deer at those distances where as a larger bullet with more retained energy will still do the damage needed to kill and drop a deer... remember we owe it to the deer to do our best to kill it as quickly and efficiently as possible... so i would go with that manner of thought... but as i said that is just my opinion.. now if you want to use a .243 on coyotes... have at it!!! lol.. at any rate good luck!
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:31 am

The 243 will kill deer all day long with the right bullet and shot placement inside 250 yards.  For factory loaded ammo, go will a 100 grain bullet.  If you handload and want a little more speed try the 85 gr Barnes.

CB

kevmullins

Postby kevmullins » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:09 am

To me, part of the decision depends on where you're hunting. Southeastern US where a 200 lb deer can be a monster, the .243 at modest ranges can be just fine. Extreme northern US and Canada where the deer just seem to be heavier....the cartridge would be marginal. No matter where....proper shot placement is the key. The 100gr Partitions are the way to go....

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:32 am

well to me the biggest part of the decision is personal preference, and to make sure you make a good shot... as I said, that is my own opinion, and how i feel.. but a good for instance : A freind of mine just took his son out for youth weekend and he got his first spike buck, he was using a .223 would I ? no.. but that is me... his father uses the same .223 every year it is what he likes to hunt with, that is his decision and tat is fine, I like a .270 or bigger (right now I am using a mossberg 500 12 ga. and rifled slugs due to the fact that my .270 was borrowed by a so called friend , and never returned... next thing you know he moved out of state , and i am out my investment on a damn fine gun and scope) but at least i was able to pick up my shotgun for cheap until i can reinvest) back on subject... not everyone will agree on caliber, and that is fine. just concentrate on shooting inside your range, ande making a good clean shot other then that shoot what you are comefortable with.
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

DeerTracker

Postby DeerTracker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:43 am

I have killed coyotes out to 460 yards with my 243. I just got it last summer so this is my first season deer hunting with it. I know coyotes arent a good representation of killing power on deer but i believe it will do just fine. I do alot of long range shooting and I am confident in my shooting ability if a deer walked out within 500 yards of me. I have a self imposed limit of 350-400 yards for deer with my 243 until I see how well it really works when i finally have the chance to take a deer with it. I have it sighted in with Federal Premium 85gr Triple shocks right now and I have doubt this little bullet will work. Ill let ya'll know how well it worked as soon as I have a chance to take something with it. The 243 Win is quickly becoming my favorite cartridge.
Good things come to those who shoot straight
--Escanaba In Da Moonlight

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 pm

My son uses a 243 single shot rifle and has taken nice deer and hogs. To about 125 yards. We use federal 100 grain soft point cartridges. I feel with the right ammo and practice you can shoot up to 300 yards.

viking61

Postby viking61 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:39 pm

I took my nephew deer hunting this year and he killed his first deer with a.243 100 grain remington core-lokt bullet. He shot her right behind the shoulders and she ran 75 yards and dropped. When I field dressed her the bullet expanded nicely and punched through the ribs destroying the vitals. I only thing I didn't like was there was a minimal blood trail but the performance was what a deer catridge should do. Now looking at ballistics I would keep shots at under 250 yards to maintain adequate energy foot pounds for a good kill. It's like any weapon, know it's limitations and with practice and a good shot you won't be disappointed.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:08 pm

A .243 Win will definitely kill a deer.  A .22LR will kill a deer.  It's not a matter of will it kill a deer, it is a matter of can you put the bullet where it will do the required amount of damage to kill the deer.  A bigger size hole helps, but only if you put it where it counts! 

CoG

Postby CoG » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:25 pm

243 is at the lower end of the spectrum but will very cleanly kill deer.  Keep it loaded with the 100 grain offerings without a doubt.  I do think it's a much better round on smaller eastern deer than big bodied midwest deer.  I know a ton of nice VA deer killed with a .243.  I wouldn't hunt with a 243 because there are just shots I'd have to pass on that I may not with a little larger gun.  Sometimes having to pass on that opportunity, such as a the one particular buck I'm hunting, would drive me mad.  However, if it's a doe hunt passing on a shot and waiting for the right one isn't as much a big deal.  Take the broadside or slightly quartering away shot and put it in the boiler room and you'll have a quickly dead deer to find.  Just work within your self-imposed limitations and go out with confidence!
-Benny

Next

Return to Rifles