I Can't Believe He's Bragging About This

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Deebz

RE: I Can't Believe He's Bragging About This

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:16 pm

My first reaction to this is that it's pretty cool.  You gotta wonder where a deer like that came from being that there aren't any facilities nearby that would be an obvious source for an exotic species. 

I do agree with Woodsie that it's poor judgement to shoot ANYTHING if you aren't positive about what you're shooting.  However, I don't think this guy would shoot a horse or a lab.  Horses and dogs are species that would be easily recognizable to most people here in the US.  Even being able to tell the difference between elk, mule deer, whitetail, etc would be something that most hunters could easily do.  However, we're talking about a species of deer that is for the most part NEVER seen here in the wild.  There would be absolutely no reason for him to suspect that a giant bodied deer out there is anything but what he's hunting.  Especially when there were whitetail bucks hanging with it.

I heard a story from first session gun season in my county about a guy who picked off a coyote with his muzzleloader at about 120 yds.  Walked up and realized that it didn't really look like a coyote...  They called the DNR, who came and identified it as a Red Wolf... He took the animal without issuing any tickets.  My point is, there aren't really supposed to be any wolves around here (even though there are... I saw one last season up close from my treestand), so the guy wouldn't have any reason to expect that it could be something other than a coyote....

I mean, the only visual difference in his deer was the size (being that whitetail deer have so much variation in actual color), so he knew he was shooting a giant deer, just not a different species.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Deebz: Where in N E Illinois? There was a gray wolf killed last December near Big Rock by a coyote hunter, and where I hunt in Ogle County they've seen and heard a pair of grays out there too. They are here!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Iroquois County... basically about 5 minutes form IN straight East of Peoria.  I was just talking with my Dad last time I was home (Ottawa area), and he was telling me they've got multiple trailcam pics of mountain lions through there as well...

I wish the DNR would just be open and honest with us about what's in our woods.  I know they don't want people targeting them to eradication, but knowing what's there can prevent normally law-abiding hunters from killing protected species accidentally.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:51 pm

I have photographic evidence of a Mt. Lion out by Lake Carrol too. There may be more than we think.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Rossco

Postby Rossco » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:05 pm

I agree with Deebz. I also agree with most about knowing your target. The thing is that this guy honestly thought that he was shooting a huge doe and had no reason to believe otherwise. To compare it to shooting someones horse or cow is ridiculous. Make no mistake about it, this was a true wild deer. Those of you that say this is livestock or someones penned up pet, do you think you could have walked toward it with a bucket of grain and had it come to you? No way. My wife is from New Zealand and I have been there many times and have helped her relatives work farmed red deer. They are not tame deer even when they have been raised in captivity. It doesn't take pigs long at all to go feral and wild and it takes a red deer even less time.

NEW61375

Postby NEW61375 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 pm

I just don't know what to think about forums sometimes. Congrats to the hunter.

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:45 pm

I think some people on here seem to judge too quickly.

In Michigan, any non game species that is not protected, is fair game. 
3 years ago a local game ranch had three elk get out.  I wished everyday that one would walk by me.
I'd let that arrow fly so quick.....  WW would be speachless.

I'm happy for that hunter and I think we should use this forum for good things..... not to b!+ch about how everyone else acts.  That's what the news is for.

We don't need to be elite snobbs. 

My prayer tonight will be... "please lord let a Red Deer walk down my skinny pinch in the morning", I promise to shoot straight.
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Once again.......it's not that he shot what he reasonably thought was a whiteail deer. It's the fact that HE STILL THOUGHT IT WAS A WHITETAIL DEER, ALBEIT A BIG ONE, AFTER HE WAS STANDING OVER IT!!!! And this was from a person who was described as an "experienced" deer hunter.....RIIIIGHT.......

And THAT, my friends, does leave me speechless. If you can't understand that, then I guess there's no further point in me wasting anymore words.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:49 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Once again.......it's not that he shot what he reasonably thought was a whiteail deer. It's the fact that HE STILL THOUGHT IT WAS A WHITETAIL DEER, ALBEIT A BIG ONE, AFTER HE WAS STANDING OVER IT!!!! And this was from a person who was described as an "experienced" deer hunter.....RIIIIGHT.......

And THAT, my friends, does leave me speechless. If you can't understand that, then I guess there's no further point in me wasting anymore words.

excuse me, did you say something? I wasn't paying attention

NEW61375

Postby NEW61375 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:47 pm

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

excuse me, did you say something? I wasn't paying attention

Yeah please don't waste anymore words.

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News