I Can't Believe He's Bragging About This

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
SwampLife

RE: I Can't Believe He's Bragging About This

Postby SwampLife » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:08 am

"They found it lying about 60 yards from where he shot it. When they saw it, they knew it wasn't a normal white-tailed deer. They immediately noticed the tail didn't look right."

Sorry Woodsie, you know I got love for you, but I think you are being a bit stubborn in this thread.

Hope i am not just stirring the pot even more.

Honestly, if I walked up to a dead red deer I probably would have no clue exactly what type of deer it is. But I do know in Florida any Deer is legal to shoot besides spotted fawn.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:18 am

ORIGINAL: SwampLife

Honestly, if I walked up to a dead red deer I probably would have no clue exactly what type of deer it is. But I do know in Florida any Deer is legal to shoot besides spotted fawn.

I thought Key deer were protected.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:54 pm

Give it a rest Woods, you would have done the same thing. 10 bucks says you would have thought you were killing the new record doe until you walked up to it and noticed a few things that didn't seem quite right...just like the guy in the story did. I could see it now. Woods out hunting "Holy cow that has to be the biggest doe ever!" Woods looking in binoculars again. "Man that thing could fill 2 freezers with delicious venison...yep...uhuh...okay I am going to take it, wait till the guys see this................BAM! "Alright she is going down I made a sweet shot and with a .243....wait, what am I doing hunting with a .243...? Oh well that deer is mine!"

Seriously, how many people have heard of a Red deer let alone would have known they are out wandering around in the wild? The guy honestly thought he was killing a large whitetail deer until he walked up to it and noticed there were some odd characteristics, I can't imagine he instantly knew it was a Red deer, who would? Until somebody with a little more knowledge about the creature was able to shed some light on the animal. Give the guy a break.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:43 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: SwampLife

I thought Key deer were protected.

I believe they live in a protected area, I would have to double check that one for sure. Good point though.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

brodikinney

Postby brodikinney » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:45 pm

I agree with dewey

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:58 am

We have a Island called St vincent Is. here in Fl where you can draw a tag to shoot a sandbar deer that look just like a white tail except the average weight of these deer are
600lbs.. looking at that photo again it looks exactly like one of these deer we have but again its hard to tell by a photo..

Key deer are still Illegal to shoot even on private property!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Key deer? Or perhaps a  doe and her two fawns outside a home in Ochopee?

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Previous

Return to Breaking News