head on bow-shot

Vital Information is an educational resource from Deer & Deer Hunting. The CD contains hunting wisdom about shot placement, biology, physiology and ethics. How has it helped your hunt?
Deebz

RE: head on bow-shot

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 pm

right on Woods Walker...

and I honestly can't say it was a disappointing encounter...  There really is nothing like the feeling of being that close (she was about 10 yards) to one of God's creatures and going unnoticed

lynn1221

Postby lynn1221 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:44 pm

La rock-music française (au sens le plus large du terme) se porte de mieux en mieux : les auto-productions fleurissent partout sur Internet et c’est bon signe. Tous ces groupes ont le mérite d’exister et témoignent de la bonne santé de notre scène musicale.  
Notre région Lorraine n’est pas en reste avec le groupe rock VINTAGE VENDETTA qui, après deux ans d’existence, est en passe de s’imposer parmi les grands du rock n’roll. Un premier CD cinq titres de leurs compositions vient de voir le jour, enregistré au studio Vaicle à Domgermain.  
VINTAGE VENDETTA est un groupe attirant mais, mieux encore, c’est un groupe attachant. Il n’y a pas de doute, la sincérité qui fuse jusqu’au bout de leurs doigts est leur force première, leurs qualités musicales étant évidentes. Sans artifice, VINTAGE VENDETTA « passe la rampe », touchant les spectateurs en les enveloppant d’un nuage de sensibilité auquel il serait vain et bien inutile de vouloir résister.  http://www.topchinatrip.com/

werner.reiche

Postby werner.reiche » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:14 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I will not take a head on, or quartering toward shot with archery equipment. The odds of hitting both lungs are very slim.

I took this shot once, 12 years ago, and still cringe when I think about it. It ruined my season.

Front on the odds of hitting both lungs are 0.

At best you are dealing with a single lung shot.

Wouldn't a neck/throat shot be better?

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:20 pm

ORIGINAL: werner.reiche

ORIGINAL: JPH

I will not take a head on, or quartering toward shot with archery equipment. The odds of hitting both lungs are very slim.

I took this shot once, 12 years ago, and still cringe when I think about it. It ruined my season.

I'm saying I would not take the shot at all.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:13 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: werner.reiche

No, what you are dealing with here is a heart hit and anything else that gets in the way. And there will be a blood trail second to none, with out an exit hole. 
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:00 pm

hey Charlie,

How protected is the heart with a straight on angle?  I'd feel good about putting an arrow in front of the shoulder to angle across and catch heart and at least 1 lung plus arteries and such.  But if the deer is literally facing you square up, could you take the heart without having to bust through the sternum? 

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:43 pm

ORIGINAL: Deebz

hey Charlie,

How protected is the heart with a straight on angle?  I'd feel good about putting an arrow in front of the shoulder to angle across and catch heart and at least 1 lung plus arteries and such.  But if the deer is literally facing you square up, could you take the heart without having to bust through the sternum? 

Wouldn't it be better to look at a deer that you have killed or at least consult an anatomy chart in order to answer this question?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Hey JPH,

I have a pretty good idea myself. (I teach high school bio, so I've done quite a few dissections of smaller animals and such)  But I haven't killed a ton of deer.  I was just curious to see Charlie's opinion, as I'm sure he's a much more accomplished hunter than I am, and I know from his posts has seen the first-hand effects of archery equipment on a living breathing deer with shots similar to the one being discussed.  Just looking for some other opinions...

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:53 pm

ORIGINAL: Deebz

Hey JPH,

I have a pretty good idea myself. (I teach high school bio, so I've done quite a few dissections of smaller animals and such)  But I haven't killed a ton of deer.  I was just curious to see Charlie's opinion, as I'm sure he's a much more accomplished hunter than I am, and I know from his posts has seen the first-hand effects of archery equipment on a living breathing deer with shots similar to the one being discussed.  Just looking for some other opinions...

Okay, I'll butt out.

But I want to offer a couple more visuals for anyone playing along at home. The first shows how the heart is protected by bone and how it is nearly impossible to take two lungs from a head-on angle. The seconed is not a whitetail skeleton but it does show how much bone protects the front end of a cervid's chest.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:58 pm

those are cool pics man... and butt in all you want! That's the whole point of this forum, right? 

I know you've stuck many deer as well.  I still don't believe I'd ever take a head on shot with my bow.  Maybe if I was on the ground and the deer was so close I knew I'd have enough KE to break bone and send pieces into the vitals...  and then only maybe...

PreviousNext

Return to Vital Information