Holy Snow

highridgehunter

Holy Snow

Postby highridgehunter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Anyone have any reports of how deep the snow is in Catt County Franklinville to East Otto.  My brother and I went out monday and it was about a foot or so.  The deer we saw were all near the road down low close to the food and watching the road in the wind.  Thinking of getting out Sat or Sun but can't get the fourwheeler through that. Reports say they may have gotten another 2 feet.

habitatmanager

RE: Holy Snow

Postby habitatmanager » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:40 am

As of 5am this mornig frankilnville has about 12" to 14" on the ground..i'm headed to dunkirk so i'll let you know what springville looks like later

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 am

I often go up to Catt County, but this year I haven't made it and probably won't. I'm getting hard-up for some venison, so I'm hoping to get up to some state land in Chautauqua County where I have a doe tag and can shoot any buck. I'm expecting snow above my knees, but hoping that the deer have switched over from grass, which they were eating a couple of weeks ago, to browse. If they've been lying low during all this snowfall, they should be getting hungry late in the afternoon and start moving around.

It's pretty quiet in the woods, too, so moving slowly with the wind in your face might produce a good shot.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:31 pm

I walked a mile in Chautauqua County this afternoon. The snow was up to my pockets, and I had to keep my hands raised so they wouldn't drag in the snow. It took me 2 hours, and I didn't see a deer track. I think I could have found something else to do that would have been almost as worth while.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

habitatmanager

Postby habitatmanager » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Not too much in springville about 8in..

highridgehunter

Postby highridgehunter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks guys just got off the phone with the farmer down the road from my lease and there's 3 feet in Franklinville Ellicottville area.  That's out but just heard from the owner of 60 acres in East Otto that I get out to 1 or 2 times a year and there's about 18 inches there so I'm going to take out my 7 y.o. (he has been eager to go out).  Still have 2 doe tags but put a nice buck in the freezer 2 weeks ago.  They might be on the move tomm. with the high pressure coming in.  Good Luck for the remainder of the season.  2 nd half Duck season is right around the corner.

habitatmanager

Postby habitatmanager » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Humphery has 2 feet in woods..

highridgehunter

Postby highridgehunter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:24 am

Just got back from East Otto on Saturday.  Took my 7 y.o. out.  There was about 20 or so in the fields and 9-10 in the woods.  We hunted a box blind about 12' up in the hardwoods.  Saw 4 doe all were hitting the low trees hard for the browse.  Bad year for apples there.  Snow should be down a little with the rain from yesterday but this hard freeze will stop that quick.  Smokepole Time 

grizz

Postby grizz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:46 pm

went out yesterday Sat. to a few spots
Leon, Little valley, Mansfield snow was knee high with Leon and Lil Valley being the worst
The deer will be in trouble if we have now melt down
found 1 young deer all eaten up by the coyotes all that was left was bones.
Seen a few does all bedded in thick cover only way there going to move
will give it hell 1 last time on Tues.

Return to New York