shed antler reports

piebal

shed antler reports

Postby piebal » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:41 am

By the end of the month some deer will cast there antlers starting by the end of december through march so keep you eyes pealed . keep lookin up for the shot to kill the monster with his head gear attached. the earliest i found a shed was december 24 and a friend of mine shot a buck last year while he was blood trailing he picked up both sides befor getting to the deer. december 18.

piebal

RE: shed antler reports

Postby piebal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:10 pm

My buddy was walkin out of the woods this afternoon Dec.16 and picked up a fresh shed ....he's prob not in to good of shape ..it was a thick fork

chief

Postby chief » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:01 pm

I found a moose shed last weekend in zone 5.It was from last year and was a huge spike.I got excited at first I thought I found the world record whitetail spike horn but I then relaized it was a moose shed.Pretty cool i have collected a pretty big pile of sheds over the years.

piebal

Postby piebal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Hey chief
Moose tend to loose there antlers in december so where you found that moose ehed chances are hes runnin around still ....wait for snow i guess?

chief

Postby chief » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:04 pm

I was wondering about that, The one I found was definately from last year it was pretty chewed.There was plenty of fresh moose sign in the area.We see moose out here in zone 5 all the time.My buddy found a full moose shovel days after I found my spike.His is way cooler, I would love it for my cabin.I intend to try and find my own this winter after muzzle loader is over.I haven't found any fresh deer sheds this year.

piebal

Postby piebal » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Hey Chief
now that we have snow now is the best time to find those moose sheds just the tips will be stickin up antlers blend on the forest floor like brown on brown they are less camoed in the snow ......now you concentrate on just the things stickin up out of the snow, i mean everything!! if it is upside down then your screwed your waiting till the snow is gone.... most antlers fall with tines up precetage wise about 90 percent... believe it or not i have found sheds just by listining........ the sound of a rodent nibbling on an antler makes a distinct sound and nothin else sounds like it in the deer woods..... it  sound is like takin a nail and scratching it on an antler firmly and with quick strokes and that is close to what it sounds like....you can be rest assured that his horns are on the ground by now get ready to spend some hours lookin they dont come easy remember wether a deer or a moose they have no where to go and no time to be there you find them were they dropped...i have spent thousands of hours in the deer woods lookin for antlers i have been at it for 15 years and have over 200 shed antlers from Mass and Conn. I call them gifts from the forest. If there is  anyway i can help you just ask. i threw in a couple cool pics checkem out.

chief

Postby chief » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:02 pm

wow that is quite a collection. I do search for them also but have about thirty. I found two sets. I have found a lot that are all chewed up. Thanks for the tip on the moose I am going to make an effort to look once deer season is over. I was up in that same area I found the moose shed yesterday and there was plenty of tracks from a big bull. He is staying in the area.

piebal

Postby piebal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Chief
 If that moose has been hangin around his sheds wont be far....try to back track after the deer season is over you should have snow on the ground find his beds i would start seachin saturday. Im confident you will find them let me know... i wanna see pics!

chief

Postby chief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 am

I had a great day yesterday January 7. I located an area where there was a lot of feeding sign in the acorns. I followed the tracks to where they were bedding near by in a laurel thicket. I located deer beds melted to the bare ground next to large hemlock trees. I found two large six point sheds at one bed. Looks like a 3 1/2 year old. I continued looking in an area that I had lost a buck during archery season and my dog located my lost buck a huge eight point. I had spent nearly 40 hours looking and the day I lost it searched all day with six guys for the buck without success. My dog found it in five minutes. It was a terrible loss but a great conclusion! I can properly honor the deer in my home.

piebal

Postby piebal » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:29 am

Hey Chief
What a great score you got my blood pumpin thats how we roll...some day we need to hook up and put somemiles on i know some good spots between us ...pack a lunch gps and roll...keep lookin it just the begining..if you want to hook up send me an email on here with your # we can set it up...im going out today!!

Next

Return to Massachusetts