Leaving a food plot after dark

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
CB375HH

Leaving a food plot after dark

Postby CB375HH » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:29 pm

I hunt a small property with my father that is 95% thick brushey cover with 4 food plots that we hunt. I know a lot of guys say don't hunt over your food plots but our property is so thick with no large trees for stands that we have to hunt over them. Our problem is when we leave in the evening we bump deer out of the plot I was wondering how to handle that situation.  

wisbooner3932

RE: Leaving a food plot after dark

Postby wisbooner3932 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:52 am

I've always debated this question with myself but never really came up with a good answer.  I did however watch a hunting show one day where the guy had deer out in his food plot and was planning on blowing a coyote howel to clear them out but then ended up shooting a big buck, imagine that.  I don't know how this would effect deer movement into the plot short-term (or long-term for tahat matter) but it certainly cant be any worse than a human bumping them.  
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:17 am

I don't think you have much of a choice. Acting or sounding like a coyote wont do it. I've had deer around me and had coyotes yipping and howling close by. The only time deer, that were near me and in sight, bolted only upon sight of a coyote. I sometimes bump deer out when leaving, only to see them return by my trailcam pics and times.
[hr]

[hr]
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:55 am

Would it be conceivable to cut walking trails thru that thick brushy stuff that you can utilize on your way in and out so you don't have to walk thru the plot at all? 
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:52 am

In the same line as DoeEyed....cutting lanes or rather shooting lanes then putting up shooting houses set up a distance from the plots....I haves stands that bump deer ...I wait until dark to quietly leave the stand...once on the ground they usually know somethings up..if snorted... I snort and stomp back then trot away....This usually works.If it doesn't I'll know when they start hitting the plot after daily season close...but then if I'm buck hunting a good decoy set up is an option in bow season....gun...it's a finding their trail in and being careful of the wind set up

CB375HH

Postby CB375HH » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Setting up off the plot is a good Idea with a gun. With a bow I guess there is no good answer. I dont hunt morning and I try and only hunt one sit per week to not make the deer nocturnal.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:56 pm

How about taking turns picking up and dropping each other off with a quad. Deer will tolerate being scared by a quad more than a man on two legs.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

Rubydog

Postby Rubydog » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:40 am

Good calls with some of the options here ..... As Zeek states, the quad idea is good or even a truck if you can get one back there.

What we often do is call a friend to drive down to the "spots" after dark, on his way home or have made plans with him prior to the hunt for just this contingency. When the vehicle arrives , it drives right past us and then we hop in the back on the return. This will get the deer moving and off the fields without educated them to your position.

Proline

Postby Proline » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:58 am

This is a good question and one I hope others have ideas on.  I like the 4-wheel or friend with a truck idea bumping them but usually not an option for me.  Typically I wait it out until they move off which is frustrating.  If I am hunting with another guy I have him work his way to me and bump them rather than revealing my stand location. I have climbed down a few times in the dark and bumped them and they dont seem to go far. One of my buddys carries acorns in his pocket and throws them at the deer to get them to move. 

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:59 am

I am not a fan of hunting plots or open fields. I set up on trails leading to them close to their bedding area.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to Best Practices