Field Notes Michigan

DeerCamp

RE: Field Notes Michigan

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:30 am

cjgaleana--First off there is no such thing as a stupid question.. It's always nice to learn :). I have had a LOT of problems with things getting stolen on State land here in Michigan.. I’m sorry to hear about your camera. ( I will be typing up something shortly about this problem.) Anyhow, I still will put a camera out on state land. I will usually put a cheap $50 one, and even at that I don’t like doing so. One thing you might want to try doing that I just thought of is putting the camera 10'-15' up a tree and have it at an angle facing the trail, food plot, etc.... To me someone is less likely to see it, or go the extra mile for it. (This is something I will be doing from now on.)

As far as my notes go, every time I go out I will jot something down. I mostly hunt state land here in Michigan and I like to get how long I was in the woods, the area, temp, weather, deer seen, and how long I seen them, the stand I’m in or the road I’m driving down, etc…I have still yet to find my notes, which really bugs me. To me this is very important, as I can look back at past hunts and I can learn from them. While in the stand I like to have my cell phone on me. When something comes up I punch in the time on my cell phone and hit send. (That way it’s in my phone.) Then when I’m done hunting I’ll come back and jot down what had happened.

With bad weather moving in I like to think of it this way, " Deer are like people, when its pouring rain/windy/ snowing hard/etc.. out most people are inside, for deer (some are laying down.) While there are still people outside in this weather, the deer will always be outside. Some will still be moving around if you get my point. You may want to try still hunting now during these times, just remember with bad weather, you may have the woods to yourself and have a good crack at a bad weather buck.

As for late season, I really enjoy being up in a tree, as I can usually see long distances. However a ground blind is nice because you can put a heater in it. I feel that still hunting is best with a gun during late-season, however I have seen it done before with a bow. Hope this helps bud, and the best of luck to you this season!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Well heres my 12pt I shot on 11-15-2010 at 1:55pm. Sorry it took so long to get the pics up!
He's a 12pt with split browtines, and a sticker.. Sorry the tounge is stickin out in a few of the pics, I tried to fix that as best as I could..

"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Well I put sometime in during muzzleloader down state here and didnt see a deer. I hunted 4 times here in Midland, and then once down in Jackson. I think the hunt in Jackson was the coldest hunt Ive been on! It was snow then rain, then winds.. But I still had a good time, Im going to get the bow out tomorrow and give it another shot here in Midland. Well see how I do.

smitty

Postby smitty » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:08 am

Great buck man!  He is a beautiful deer.  Glad to see a U.P. buck on the web.  Hope all goes well for late bow season.

My season has finally started to turn a little.  This past Friday I saw 9 doe's and 2 bucks, a 5 point and the other came in late, to dark to really tell how big.  Then Saturday I saw 7 doe's and the same 5 pointer.  He is begging for a serious breathing problem, stood broadside for probably 30 minutes between the two days.  A friend a work told me he had a picture of an 8 point that already lost one side of his rack.  Seems a little early for some reason but it has been cold for a couple weeks.  Not sure if it is a isolated incident, but something to be mindful of anyway.
"Freedom Isn't Free"

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:55 pm

I live in GR.  When I dropped a doe off at the processor last week, they had a buck there with no antlers and white pedicles with a little blood on one.

I'm still looking for Mr. Big... I hope he can hold out for another week or so.
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Well I went out hunting today and got out at 3:25 I know a lil late, but it was worth a shot. I was able to hunt a lil over 2 hours, and didnt see anything on the stand. I did however spook one walking in. There was snow on the ground and it was about 26 out with a wind blowing out of the North. Maybe Ill give this another shot in the morning.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Well I went out on the 15th on Jan, and I took my second coyote ever. I shot a nice female yote in Clare county. Im getting a full body mount of her. I also seen about 100 deer and some pheasents. All in all a great day to spend in the woods.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp
 I also seen about 100 deer and some pheasents. All in all a great day to spend in the woods.

Certainly does! 100 deer!!!!
And pheasant and a coyote kill.

We used to see lots of pheasants, then for a few years....none. Last couple years I think I have seen 2 nice roosters and some hens, still not big numbers though
Some say the yotes have been their demise. but i've never seen em
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Anybody on this forum do any hunting Near Cedar, Michigan? If so would love to hear some input...

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 am

To deer camp.
I forgot to thank you for your reply to my comment. It taught me a lot and has gotten me ready for scouting this year. With what you told me and with some of my own studying, I will be much more prepared in the woods this year and can't wait to get in em. Thanks again.

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan