2010-2011 Hunting updates

Sailfish

2010-2011 Hunting updates

Postby Sailfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:59 pm

I figured we could start a running thread for those interested in hearing success, trips, outings, pics etc for this season so far. It doesn't have to be just about successful kills. Might be nice and helpful to read about what everyone is seeing, actual rutting activity, missed opportunities etc. Sort of a running, group hunting 'blog'.

My area (Polk County) is still bow, and the 3 days I have been out since it started have been filled with doe (one spike). No sign of rutting acitivity, heavy, fresh rubs though. There are a couple trees getting worked over real nice along one line. Haven't seen any scrapes yet. Opening w/e was actually a decent temp in the a.m. and late p.m. Midday was still VERY hot, which I'm sure attributed to the little movement (actually I saw zero deer midday). Hopefully the cold snap this w/e (11/6) will change some things.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Gulfcapt

RE: 2010-2011 Hunting updates

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:43 pm

success trips outings? Sailfish I don't think anyone is hunting in florida! lol Im just posting this to update the date

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 am

Just anything overall.
(FYI I got a nice MI, pics coming once I get out of the field))

DannyBouy

Postby DannyBouy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:27 am

Up here, we are consistantly seeing rubs and are now seeing a few scrapes here and there.

Friday night I had a doe come out just at the end of legal shooting time. She hung around a minute or two and a second doe came out. The milled around a bit and I heard rustling in the woods. The first doe bolted while the second one stayed around. The rustling turned out to be a third doe. The second and thirs doe hung around for about another 3-4 minutes when I heard more rustling in the woods. It was pretty much dark by this time and all I could make out was the shape of a fourth deer just insdie the woods, when that fourth one let out a grunt. The two remaining doe sttod at attention when the fourth deer, a buck let out another grunt and jumped out of the woods towards the two remianing doe, the doe bolted across the field, down the hill with the buck chasing and grunting the whole time. It was so dark by then and it happened so fast I couldn't even tell how big he was or how big his rack was! Had it only been 5-0 minutes earlier, I might have had a shot.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Great job Sailfish! can't wait to view it..

DannyBouy Good story hopefuly you will get em..by all means if you want to post something on FL. post please do so it needs some pics bad.. lolol[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
ORIGINAL: Sailfish

Just anything overall.
(FYI I got a nice MI, pics coming once I get out of the field))

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:46 am

Danny, I cannot tell you how often that happens.
It never fails, you can count on the light dimming and you  see all the does out in the open with plenty of legal light to shoot, but the man with the horns hides in the shadows. I've put the scope looking into the edge of the woods and can see the white flashing as he moves at times, just never clear enough to take a safe shot. Then once legal light is gone......out he comes. You think they know?? [:D]

Ok, as promised here's my MI deer. He was in full rut, his neck was thick and hot on the doe in front of him. His brow tine was chipped. The left side was 5, right was 4. Easily was 200#+ (I'm 190).

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Im glad you broke the ice for Florida! even tho you had to go out of state to do it, but will take it... lol

BTW Is that land you hunt every year?

Very Very nice, and congrates.

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Just joined this forum today. I have had a good season here in S Florida. I have a lease around Palmdale. We have seen a fair amount of deer this year. The acorn crop was beyond belief. The scrub oaks started in aug and the big oaks are still droping!!! We have shot some nice bucks this year along with some does as well. I shot a nice 10 on the opening of muzzleloader and another wide ten weekend before Christmas. 2 other tens and a couple 8s were shot as well.

I do not like the new seasons at all. Bow hunting in July in S Florida is a joke. The glades buggy hunters might like it but I do not!!!!!!! Our rut got going around end of Aug mid Sep. Bucks were on the yearling does 2 weeks ago as well. Going out with the bow this weekend. Going to fill the doe tag on a young one if I can. Interesting observation on the last two does killed. They were shot 1 day apart. One had small twins inside about 5 to 6 inches. The other had one fetus that was not far away from dropping. Both were older 3 yr plus does. But they were way far apart in gestation age. Another observation for or rut experts!! lol

Here is a few pics from this year.

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Other pics

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Huntingdad very nice season you had!!

Our rut certainly is wacky. Especially the further south you go for sure. I've even read the southern counties deer have been observed breeding year-round.

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

BTW Is that land you hunt every year?

Yes, family land in central MI.

I will also be hunting some new land this year in Central FL (Polk County) 500 acres of pvt land. The 500 is surrounded by family members who also have 500+/- acres and all practice a light form of QDM. I'm really looking forward to it.

Next

Return to Florida