which way to go?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
ishman

which way to go?

Postby ishman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Im planning a trip next year and i have 3 gun options.

1. Put a slug barrel on my mossberg 935

2. Use my one of my dads inline muzzleloaders.

3. Or buy a dedicated slug gun, new or used.

Id say the inline for sure but im a little hesitant on not having a follow up shot. In the heat of the moment im worried i would screw up trying to reload.  
So any suggestions. Id like some advice

Rubydog

RE: which way to go?

Postby Rubydog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:46 pm

A dedicated slug gun like the H & R is hard to beat for accuracy. single shot only but reload is super simple by holding 2 shells between your fingers under the forend. That way you can have it scoped and once sighted in should be ready to go at all times.

ghost hunter

Postby ghost hunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:02 pm

if you go with slug get a fast twist barrel ( 1 in 28 12 ga 1 in 24 20 ga )

fixed barrel is best over take off barrel.

things i know

tar-hunt one of the first did the reasearch but $2500 bolt action 2 shot non remove mag

encore shotgun pump 1 in 26 12 ga $ 400 range

new ithaca gun co deerslayer 3 fixed barrel 1 in 28 12 ga $ 1200 they have one around 900 but not as good

the gun companies have just started building fast twist guns but they do not mark the barrels so it is hard to find one

savage has a 20 ga bolt but the bolt is sloppy i heard they fixed this but have not seen one to confirm

also if you send a 870 with out barrel to tar-hunt they will fix a barrel to it with fast twist and muzzle break a trigger job is also available
about 625 with trigger job

a note about ammo if you get a fast twist do not use accutip. the reason. the bullet groups well but the bullistic coefficient is terrable because of the holes in the tip. these holes do the spinning the barrel should be doing. i use the core lokkt and am 1 high at 50 zero at 175

CoG

Postby CoG » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Serious hunt I'd take my muzzleloader.  I trust it like nothing else.  A dedicated slug gun with time to work with it is also a good option.  One will do as good as the other.  Third would be slapping a slug barrel on my bird gun.  Definitely go with the muzzleloader before that.  
-Benny

ishman

Postby ishman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:02 am

So i looked up the H&R ultra slug. Gander mountain has them for 329.99. I looked and it does not say what the twist in the barrel is. This seems like a pretty cheap way to go and have a dedicated gun. Any one know much about them? Ive seen a few pump slug guns but im not to keen on a pump gun. They would be fine for anything else but i never remember to pump the gun cause i grew up shooting semis.

ishman

Postby ishman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:15 am

Also, is there alot of difference between a 3" and 3 1/2" 12 gauge. How much recoil is added and does the 3 1/2 perform any better. Do they even make 3 1/2 in slugs? I dont know anything about it.

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:48 am

lightfield makes a 3 1/2 inch slug but it kicks like a mule on steroids i would stay with the 2 3/4 slug its all you are going to need to kill a deer bear or just about anything else ive killed many a deer with brenneke slugs in my smoothbore 12 gauge as well as my rifled barrel the brenneke seem to shoot well in just about every gun i tried however if i had the chance to use a muzzleloader i would i like smoke and flame as someone once told me napalm is sweet hank k

ishman

Postby ishman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:53 pm

well i went with the non existing options no. 4. I traded an  old 870 pump straight up for a nef single shot chambered in .500 S&W. It is a legal gun in indiana where i plan to go. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Good choice. The 500 S&W is an awesome cartridge. Better hunt around on ammo prices though. Here in my part of Indiana the gun shops get $59.99 for a box 0f 20 shells (350 grain) IF you can find a shop that carries them. I suggest you buy in 200 round lots from Cabelas. That'll run you $290.00 or less than a buck and a half per round for 350 grain HSM.

Return to Guns and Ammo