Arrow Penetration Question

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
MG11

Arrow Penetration Question

Postby MG11 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:42 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering what is considered good arrow penetration? I recently arrowed my first deer (a doe) and after recovering my arrow I observed that it got about 10 inches of penetration. Any thoughts from experienced archers would be appreciated, thanks.
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there. -Fred Bear

hunter480

RE: Arrow Penetration Question

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:46 pm

It depends on what broadhead you`re shooting, as well as where you hit her.........

Lot`s of guys now seem to really have good luck with some of the mechanical broadheads, although I shoot the Muzzy 100 grain 3-blade broadhead, and love them.

If you hit bone, no broadhead will pass-thru, but with a fixed blade, and from what I understand, some of the mechanicals, if you hit a deer in the ribs, you should expect a pass-thru shot.

Oh and by the way....congratulations on your doe......
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

MG11

Postby MG11 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks Greg,

I shoot the 100 grain 2 blade rage mechanicals.
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there. -Fred Bear

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:56 pm

I`m a Muzzy guy for life, but many of the guys here shoot the Rage I believe, and from what I`ve read, they really like the results they`ve been getting. I`ve heard the Rage produces great wound channels and blood trails.

Where did you hit her?
Greg Russell

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:00 pm

I'd say good arrow penetration is any that would kill the animal and provide the hunter with a quick recovery.

I would think 10 inches would get you both lungs if the hit was in that area of the ribcage.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

MG11

Postby MG11 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:54 pm

I hit her a little farther back than I wanted but I think I got the liver. She went about 150 yards. My bow is set at 56 pounds, do you think I would be better off shooting a fixed blade broadhead like the muzzy 3 blade?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:08 am

You didn't mention how far the shot was, but if it was within a reasonable range (25 yards or less) then assuming that you bow/arrow setup is tuned right, then you ought to have gone CLEAR THROUGH the deer with a liver shot...that is assuming that you didn't hit a major bone on the other side.

I killed a buck this season at 15 yards with a 55# recurve with a 125 grain Razorcap fixed blade that sounds like it was the same kind of shot you had. The deer was on more of a quartering away angle than I thought, and the arrow went in the liver just behind the diaphram, but then went through part of one lung, all of another plus part of the heart. It exited out the other side of the deer, and was stopped by the far side front leg.

I'm also going to assume that the broadhead was extremely sharp, because that would be a pre-requisit for good penetration. I hand sharpen all my Razorcaps so I KNOW they're really sharp.

Bow hunting has enough variables regarding it that are beyond my control, so I like to "control" the things that are within my ability. Having an extremely sharp broadhead that I'm 1000% sure will "open right" is one of them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:33 am

Without knowing the angle of entry or if bone structure opposite the entry wound was hit, 10 inches of penetration should have been plenty for the kill. Since you say you think you got the liver, I would guess the travel distance had more to do with shot placement than it had to do with penetration.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:09 am

That`s entirely your call. I`ma Muzzy guy and likely always will be, but there are drawbacks to shooting a fixed blade broadhead......good, durable broadhead targets are hard to find. I`ve tried the "Block"....twice, and they both were allowing passthru`s quickly. Also, you won`t be able to go to the range and shoot your broadheads. At least no range I`ve ever found allows my muzzy`s, or even just the Muzzy practice broadheads.

I`ve read that some are capable of setting up and tuning their broadheads to shoot to the same point of impact as their field tips.....I`ve yet to see this accomplished, which means my hunting broadheads don`t hit in the same place as my field tips. Not the end of the world if you`re shooting field tips at a range, since you`re concerned with the groups, and it doesn`t matter if you`re hitting near the bull, even tho that`s where you`re aiming.

I`ve heard really good things about some of the new mechanicals, and the Rage has been one I`ve heard some of the best about. Supposedly, really good entrance wounds, good blood trails, and good reliability. Plus you have the luxery of your filed tips shooting to exactly the same point of impact, and, the field tips don`t tear your practice target up nearly as quickly.

JUst me personally, I`m sticking with the Muzzys..........I`m trying to think of the greatest distance I`ve had to track a deer I hit with a well placed shot.....and many of the deer I`ve hit well have gone down in sight.
Greg Russell

bobow

Good broadhead targets

Postby bobow » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:20 pm

good, durable broadhead targets are hard to find. I`ve tried the "Block"....twice, and they both were allowing pass thru`s quickly.

If you are looking for a quality broadhead target, check out :  Whitetail targets

I just got the King for use in the basement at 18 yards and I am impressed so far.  It retails for $39 plus shipping.  Check out the videos on the website for comparisons.

I am using Slick Trick 125gr broadheads & while they don't pull out all that easy I can see the target is going to hold up for a long time.  Field points are not recommended without lube.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting