Smell this...

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
John1961

RE: Smell this...

Postby John1961 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:34 am

I broke a bottle of tinks in my man cave and the wife almost tossed me out. But after that I don't use any thing. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:39 pm

I know a guy who puts a little bit of raccoon scent on his ladder stand to cover his scent. He thinks deer are accustomed to seeing, hearing, and smelling raccoons in trees. Which sounds like a good idea. I use dirt smelling wafers but I stopped using them for awhile because I think deer were started to put the smell of dirt and my presence in the woods together. I didnt want to educate them that easily. No scent is probably the best way to go.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:31 am

ORIGINAL: ChuckNorris

The only thing I use is regular doe urine in a small spray bottle. I spray the bottom of my boots every now and then while walking the woods. I also spray it every hour or so once I become stationary, either from a treestand or more often than not on the ground somewhere. If I'm going to smell like anything I figure it might as well be another deer.

Hmm, maybe that's why that buck was walking and looking directly at me during the gun season. He was walking on the same path I had walked on the way to my ground blind a couple hours earlier. Maybe if I had arched around before going to my blind he would have given me that shot opportunity that I was waiting for.

If you are using a drag scent or any scent on boot or tarsel gland pinned to pant leg as I do, always walk past your stand at a resonable or comfortable shooting distance. Sometimes it works and sometimes it dosen't. Just think positive. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

habitatmanager

Postby habitatmanager » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Well my camp tried an experiment this year. one of our members used ever imaginable scent killer,soap,shampoo. and hunted in an orchard near camp and was having trouble seeing deer. Another member would "use his stand" when he had to go back to the real world for work. He used the same products with one exception...he used an apple scented shampoo.. he figured scents were expensive and since he was hunting in apples what the heck! He consistantly saw deer!! I belive the deer could smell the jucy apple scent for miles since i could smell it when he came out of the shower in the next room...you have to wash your hair...so why try to be scent free and then add scent ..when you can cut out one step!!! Well it seemed to work this year.. i'll wait and see next season..if it works i may have to buy some myself...

Osty

Postby Osty » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:43 pm

I have an old pair of Scent Lok pants and jacket that I use under my orange clothing for Wisconsin gun hunting. The Scent Lok has a lot of use from bow hunting but now it's only used for gun season (9 days). Not sure how many times they can be worn or used but so far have worked pretty decently. I also showered with no-scent shampoo/soap.

This past season I got some Deer Dander from Cabelas. I saw a few deer during gun season. Even had a couple come at me from down wind. One I had a misfire (shell didn't go off) and the other I got. A small doe but she was downwind and I was even in the stand. Even found some droppings where I had sprayed it the day before.

I sprayed some around by my Dad and he saw a few deer that came in on the trail we used.

Also got a 6 pointer that was downwind of me. I had sprayed around the stand and even sprayed out of the stand. He came out into a field towards the end of the day and I got him. It was snowing also.

I am going to try Deer Dander again next season. I sprayed some on me, my boot soles, around my stand and along the trail when walking in.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:00 pm

I had quit using Red Fox pee after Red Fox died ! [8|]
Semper Fi !

Ohio farms

Re: Smell this...

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:47 pm

When I first started deer hunting I tried skunk scent. It came in two different bottles and when you mixed them together it smelled like skunk. My wife was not a happy camper when I came home that night. Never used it again. (not sure what I was thinking at the time...seemed like a good idea at the time, I guess)
Used fox urine on my boots for a long time, but in the last few years have just gone to being clean and as scent free as possible.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:50 am

Skunk Skreen??? WOW! You ARE old! I thought it was only me that remembered that stuff!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:38 pm

As the old Beatle song went, "Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64..."
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Im not close to 60 but i had a bottle of that old skunk pee back in the day...my dad gave it to me ,and that should have been the first clue!...if it was so good why was he giving it away??? :lol: ---i never opened it....never used it...

I do beieve in using scent in specific areas or certain times....i do use it alot less but have arrowed some nice deer that came right to it...i usually use the dripper bottle ..or just a little bit on a cotton ball ...i'l never forget one time i soaked a cotton ball with Pete Rickards super doe...i set the cotton ball in a small shrub that deer usually leave a scrape under.....i tied my bow on the pull-up rope...it was like 4:30am...and crept down the edge of the downed cornfield about 60-70 yds west of my stand....i put a few drops of Indian buck lure out and proceeded back to my stand dropping one drop every 3 or 4 steps......when i got in the stand and pulled my bow up...i heard large dead thumping foot tromp coming into the east wind....it was as black and moonless as it gets ...than he snorted the super doe in a few times and mangled the shrub ....he tore it up for a few minutes...all i could see was blackness and the occasional glimpse of white antler....big boy was upset and prob. a little turned on also...i didnt blame him one bit... :lol:

First light had me in awe of what he did....never seen him...only his destruction.....scent is always hit or miss....that would have been a grand slam had he stayed around till shooting light!!!--- :mrgreen:

Previous

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking