Lawmaker Fined After Bragging About Deer Kill

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Highlander Archery

RE: Lawmaker Fined After Bragging About Deer Kill

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:59 pm

ORIGINAL: Inspectorslim

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

ORIGINAL: GhilliesandStuff

Lawmakwers" write laws for "other" people to follow. Supposedly the "great unwashed". I tried washing for awhile, but it didn't help. I still had to abide by the laws, so I gave it up.

Wrong Sir.
[color="#cc0033"]Lawmakers write laws to address issues that are brought to their attention and then lobby hard to get enough support to make these laws a reality[/color]. HSUS and other Animal Rights orgs have infiltrated F&G agencies all over the nation and are influencing legislation from within these agencies. They are masters at exploiting the divisions that hunters have created amongst themselves and using catch phrases and buzz words to wedge that divide further open.

This is partially correct.

Several years ago a family complained about people shooting white deer in their area. They believed that the white deer were "re-encarnated" family members! They raised such a stink that the fore-mentioned law was passed to appease them. I don't believe they were 'masters' - they just squeaked the loudest!

The clause " without specific written permission from the Department Director" is the Wildlife Dept's "out".
To nobodys' knowledge has anyone been denied permission after requesting it. There was a nice white buck taken in the same area a few years ago; the hunter HAD already received permission.

Several of my hunting friends surmissed that if enough people requested permission AT THE SAME TIME there would be a chance the law may be rescinded.

Gary

Inspector,

So the law was created to address an issue raised by constituents. My point is this law was created not on a scientific management principle but as a "feel good" effort of Politically Correct appeasement. This is where several of our game code laws fail. How is keeping your bow cased in any way affecting anything but making it possible to gleen more money and create a criminal record for an otherwise law abiding hunter? for example.

This law should not be passively forced into repeal after years of thousands of "Permission slips" are issued. It should be aggressively forced into repeal and the efforts should not stop until it is repealed. The only thing this law has accomplished is setting a precedent that "religious grounds" is a valid factor in game management that the antis can use in courts to forward their agendas. A vast number of religious adherents are prohibited from eating pork.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:38 am

Highlander unless I misread something in the article why would you think he lost his hunting privilege in other States?

Oh and he can pretty much count on not being able to hunt other states.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 pm

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

Highlander unless I misread something in the article why would you think he lost his hunting privilege in other States?

Oh and he can pretty much count on not being able to hunt other states.

His home state is a member of the Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:21 pm

I didn't read where his hunting rights was revoked by a judge for the violation but just fined! Interstate wildlife compact is more geared toward people who lost their hunting privilege by a judge all together, not a person that was fined. two totally different monsters...

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:13 pm

If the penalty has a suspension of hunting privileges, which most illegal kills do, then he will not be able to hunt in states that are member states, if their laws prohibit it; some states operate on a species basis, other consider any violation as a prohibition.  

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:14 pm

I imagine he had to go before a fed judge and pleaded no contest paid court fees and had a you should of known better talk with the man in the rob..know If he had any priors or lost his hunting privileges It would of come out in that article, But to willingly turn himself in like he done, made it look good for him.... Slap on the hand and a few $$$.. 

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:49 pm

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

I imagine he had to go before a fed judge and pleaded no contest paid court fees and had a you should of known better talk with the man in the rob..know If he had any priors or lost his hunting privileges It would of come out in that article, But to willingly turn himself in like he done, made it look good for him.... Slap on the hand and a few $$$.. 

Why would he have to go in front of a Federal Judge? The Compact is not a federal mandate or law it is an agreement between states to share and apply punishments in one across the others.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 am

I guess that maybe I am in the minority here, but I think these man handled it correctly. Sure, he made a mistake but I wouldn't say that he was bragging. He was proud of his accomplishment and wanted to share it with others. This tells me two things:

1: He is probably really into deer hunting and thought this deer was a really great accomplishment.

2: He made an honest mistake and was clearly not trying to cover it up.

I know this guy made a mistake, but I think that it was an honest one. If anything he is probably extremely embarassed, paid his fines I am sure, and this can work as a very strong learning tool. I don't feel that this falls into line with something like a poacher taking a deer and then lying about when, how, where, etc.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:09 pm

ORIGINAL: USN_Sam1385

I wouldn't say that he was bragging.

I agree with you.

I will say though that if any of us ever make a mistake hunting or fishing and have to go see the man in the robe...........we can't use the " I wasn't aware of the law" excuse.

Ignorance is no excuse.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

s.c.hunter

Postby s.c.hunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 am

wow all over inbreed deer
I hunt because my wife cant climb a tree!!

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News