Fresh shed

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
piebal

RE: Fresh shed

Postby piebal » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Ishman
post this find on the very bottom of the forum page...under shed hunting shed hunters like to know this stuff my buddy found one side of a 8 point on dec 16 2010

ishman

Fresh shed

Postby ishman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:32 pm

I found my first shed of the year yesterday. It is a 4 pt side off of a one year old. Should make for a nice 2 yr old next yr. It still had the wax ring and blood on it. This is the earliest ive ever found a fresh shed.  So be careful if you are doe hunting in this late season.

ishman

Postby ishman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks piebal. I didnt even realize that there was a shed hunting forum on here. Ill be checking it out often as i am a avid shed hunter.

piebal

Postby piebal » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 pm

thats great you found a shed already 2 buddies found sheds on the 16th of december i went for a walk yesterday and im still seeing fresh hookings some of the fawns are in heat ...red pee followed by a nice buck track ...some of the deer where i hunt held there racks till march last year it seem to be that more than half the bucks hold them that long over here in Connecticut ....it will be the same this year but some lose them anytime now and they already have

teej79

Postby teej79 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:58 am

I put out a trail camera after rifle season cuz I kept a doe tag for late bow, and got pictures of a half rack 8 and pictures on a buck with no antlers, just two red spots on his head. Alot of deer shot this year seem to be broken off or half racks. Saw a couple on camera and shot a 7 pt in archery that was broken off also. Just ran into that half rack 4 pt now, had 2 large does coming in and 2 doe fawns. He came outta the bottom and ran em off.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:39 am

Glad to see Your finding sheds already Ishman!I checked my trail camera's this past week....so far only one Spike Buck came in and he only lost 1 side of his rack so far?I also had a nice 4-Point Buck and a large 8-Point Buck come in together at the salt lick and both of them still had their Antlers...this was around Jan 6-7 so it shouldn't be much longer and they should start dropping them by the end of Jan or the first of March?

Return to Shed Hunting