ethics

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Gulfcapt

RE: ethics

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Ya i would have to say they do have some unethical laws when it comes to deer
ORIGINAL: habitatmanager

If it's legal isn't it ethical? Or are we saying that we make unethical laws?

mrbiggkid

Postby mrbiggkid » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:55 am

Absolutely...legal doesn't always mean ethical, and ethical doesn't always mean legal...you could go mess around with your best friends wife. It's not right, but he can't take you to court for it, you can't be fined or imprisoned. This applies to any set of laws, hunting, civil, whatever. Cuz its legal doesn't make it right.

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:23 pm

If you think placing bait is unethical you have no argument to say food plots are ethical!

Whether I plant a pasture for the deer or put out a feeder, I'm concentrating a deer in an area to shoot them and keep them on my property.

In MN 90% of our deer hunters are rifle only, so to argue the point from a bow only standpoint isn't considering the question in a way that is logical to make any kind of changes concerning food plots versus bait. A hunter can plant a food plot 400 yard by 200 yard food plot and set up in the middle edge of it, it's over a 16 acre field and the deer concentrations in our area wouldn't ever be able to eat it out before the end of our rifle season, and you could shoot any deer that steps into the field, IT'S A BIG PILE OF BAIT! Oh wait, that field isn't big enough so we better add another 5 acres over there and another 2 acres over here. Oh wait, I'm bowhunting so I'm going to watch which trail that 8 pointer is entering on this secluded super safe, sanctuary type of food plot and set up on the trail so he comes by the next night.

I'm tired of the hunters that condemn hunters for piling bait, but on there 200 acres they have 20 acres of food plots that draw all the deer in for several miles, concentrate them around there area, and the neighbors that can't afford to put in the food plots don't get to see a fraction of the deer that have now been attracted to the food plotter.

It happens all over our county in N MN, one neighbor can afford to put in food plots, the other can't, and now he sees 1/10th of the deer that would be natural in his area. And guess what, we plant 13 acres of food plots to hunt over and keep the deer in our area! I don't think it's unethical to hunt deer based around there food source, because 95% of the time it's a manmade planted food source. I don't know where Piebal is hunting but his style of "thrill seeking" isn't hardly an option for most hunters because personally I'd have to travel 240 miles to hunt an area without farmers. That trail I hunt a mile back in the swamp is eventually leading to an alfalfa field, so I'm hunting the deer based on a manmade food source.

Food plots and feeders/bait piles are the same thing, if you want to have a central feeder in your property and hunt the trails coming to it, fine, makes it more ethical for you do it, but if it's a feeder or 5 acres of clover don't think the food plot isn't bait. If the state makes one of them illegal, they both should be.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:06 pm

ORIGINAL: kansas hunter

you guys will have to excuse me,I have been deer hunting only three years. I keep hearing about baiting deer in. I am having a time trying to figure all of this out.I take it people dont like this because it takes advantage and increases our odds of getting a deer. my problem is if this is the issue, should we not hunt during the rut also.

So is the ethics question "is it ethical to hunt over bait?" or "Is it ethical to hunt during the rut?"?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Yes, it's ethical to hunt during the rut.

Ethics...Smethics :)

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I agree that it's a fine line, but even with the unharvested crops it's still a:

1. Limited food source. Once it's gone, it's gone. It cannot be replenished until next growing season.

2. It's also an IMMOBILE food source. It cannot be moved to wherever it suits the hunter's immediate needs.

And again, we are talking quantities here. If you leave a few dozen rows of standing corn, between the deer, coons and squirrels, they will prettty well clean it out in a short amount of time. If you leave 50 acres, then the field is large enough that it starts to negate any advantage you may have as compared to a 10'X10' corn pile that can be added to at the hunter's whim.

I just never want to be put in the position where there's SO much baiting going on around me that the only way I can see deer during daylight hours is to bait also. I know this sounds extreme, but I have friends in New Jersey where this very thing has happened.

Besides, I've hunted Illinois now for 34 years, and I haven't had any problems killing my share of deer. If it's not broke, then don't mess with it.

Twice I've noticed you referenced mobility of the food source as part of your apparent problem with baiting. Can I assume then that when you hunt over standing crops that you hunt the exact same stand/blind/location from season start to season end, never taking advantage of the mobilty of location that relocating with the changing food sources would afford you?
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features