Late Season Archery

tex3012

Late Season Archery

Postby tex3012 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Now that the rifle season has come to a close, tags are still unfilled and opportunity still awaits.. lets hear your stories, tips and updates for the 2010-2011 late season...

ishman

RE: Late Season Archery

Postby ishman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Dress warm. Drink lots of coffee. Get a group of buddies. And get out the old smoke poles.

roughrider 123

Postby roughrider 123 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Got out today to look things over and change tactics a bit for the winter season. Setting up 3 ground stands as I plan to be in the brush downwind this winter. The tree stands are now too open be in. Late last week I took a ground stand downwind in brush and had a doe at 5 yards step out of heavy brush and walk by me at 10ft. When she got next to me she came out of her skin running off. I'm looking at the first good snow to get them in one stand area and they are still around the other stands as I kicked up 4 does there today.

roughrider out

Rubydog

Postby Rubydog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Find the FOOD !

THe deer are usually grouped up pretty good at this time of year.........

Find the FOOD !

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:48 pm

I will be out there trying to find myself a buck for the late archery season.  Finding the food will be key to success in the late season, also I have found that getting out of the stand and trying some spot and stalk hunting works as well.  I hope we get some more snow before the season opens, that should help locate the travel routes too.  Finding the food and figuring out how and when they get to it is going to be the difference between getting a deer and just enjoying the outdoors.

Yak

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:16 am

did a little scouting this past week. iv noticed all midday bedded deer are soaking up then sun.. look for those hill sides facing directly to the sun..

roughrider 123

Postby roughrider 123 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Late season started out good for sightings, bucks were running doe right after christmas and have seen at least 6 different bucks thru cameras or on stand. Downside is racks on larger bucks have started falling off as of 28th december. I have several pictures of a large buck minus his rack and another 3.5 year old with one side missing on 28th dec.
Action has slowed during 2nd week as movement is minimal or nocturnal.

roughrider out

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:25 pm

ORIGINAL: roughrider 123

Late season started out good for sightings, bucks were running doe right after christmas and have seen at least 6 different bucks thru cameras or on stand. Downside is racks on larger bucks have started falling off as of 28th december. I have several pictures of a large buck minus his rack and another 3.5 year old with one side missing on 28th dec.
Action has slowed during 2nd week as movement is minimal or nocturnal.

roughrider out

sounds like its time to go shed hunting.. that huge 4.5 year old you had on camera would be a good find.. and also make it good to know he made it through the seasons

teej79

Postby teej79 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:48 pm

yeah bucks are dropping antlers already, thank goodness i shot my buck in archery ha I put out a camera after rifle, saw a half rack 8 point and what I thought was a huge doe but looking closer it was a buck with only two red spots on top his head.  the first week was a drag for me seeing only a yearling at 10 yards but this week is heating up, had two mature does and two fawns coming in except that half rack 8 came out of nowhere and chased em off.  Tomorrow should be good, we'll see!

roughrider 123

Postby roughrider 123 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:07 am

Update to winter season, reviewed camera photo and 4.5 year old has dropped one side on the 28th.

I'm really down now that he's dropped. This is only the 2nd picture of him since thanksginving week. I have the whole season off and was hoping for a shot at him. There is also another good buck at the same location that dropped before winter season. I have an idea where the sheds may be though. The day these pictures were taken i hit a doe headed in the opposite direction at 7am and I went to find her at 8:45am, i must have walked by the buck and he headed back across my backtrail at 8:59 and returned at 10:30am to that location. He had me pegged the hole time.

roughrider out

Return to Pennsylvania