deer rubs

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Jslotter

RE: deer Rubs

Postby Jslotter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 am

What is the diameter of the tree? I find these type of rubs too. I can never figure out if they are from a big buck or small buck.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Ben Sobieck

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Rotated the photo so you can see a little better where the rub is situated on the tree.

DEER

Postby DEER » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:15 pm

The diameter of the tree was 12''. And it was about 36-37'' off the ground 

DEER

Postby DEER » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:17 pm

There was a snow fall that day. I wasn't able to see any bark on the ground 

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 am

Definetely a big guy. I would say those marks are from a brow tine. If there are no matching marks on the other side of the tree, could mean that brow tine is broken off. I can see a little bit of damage toward the other side of the tree. My guess is that, that damage is from a broken brow tine. Do you think he is still alive? Look for his sheds, and if you find them let us know.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

DEER

Postby DEER » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:24 am

When is the best time to shed hunt?

dewey

Postby dewey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:46 pm

ORIGINAL: MSHunter

I'd guess that this is a good sized buck. As a general rule, I've heard the higher up on the tree the rub is located, the larger the buck

This is also what I remember reading, possibly from D&DH. I thought it was something like if it is 24" or so and lower to the ground it is a smaller buck but if it is 24"-30" or more it is a larger buck. I also remember reading that the diameter of the tree being rubbed does not have anything to do with the size of the buck. Of course I could be wrong but that is what I remember. I don't know where you are from but a LOT of deer in MN are already dropping their antlers, which is pretty early for that to happen. I think typically it occurs in February to March here in MN.

Good luck looking for shed.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

baddoghunter

Postby baddoghunter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 pm

I have always read that Big bucks will rub small trees but smaller bucks will usually not rub bigger trees. I like when I find one in a cluster of trees and you can see where they rubbed their brow tines and bases and over to the side sometimes you can see where their points or end of the main beam dug in and you get an estimate of how wide they are.
My House Is Protected By The Good Lord And Guns.
And You Might Meet Them Both If You Show Up Here Not Welcome Son.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Generally if I find a fresh Rub I put a trail camera by it and try to catch the Buck that made the rub to see if its a Big one or not?I also look further up and or down to see if there is a rub-line,then You can usually tell which direction the Buck is traveling when he makes the rubs?I really enjoy setting up by a ground scrape....You'll get several Bucks on it and Doe's also coming in to work the scrape.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:22 pm

He should be an older buck to have rubbed the larger trees.
If you can find it you can kill it.

PreviousNext

Return to All About Deer Sign