Myth Busters-Bloodhound-Human Odor

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
vipermann7

RE: Myth Busters-Bloodhound-Human Odor

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:39 pm

It would be great if we could smell as good as deer, then we would just know. I've also wondered over the years just how much the carbon clothes can be regenerated. My approach to all this was to buy a set of the clothes and just test them for myself. There is so much contradicting information out there, I don't even know which to believe. What I can believe, however, is my own experiences, and from my experience, I don't plan to buy carbon clothing again. I go through the whole routine every time I hunt, no matter what I wear. Showers, dress in the field, keep everything in plastic containers, spray down with scent killing spray, all of it. If deer come in down wind, some times they smell me, sometimes they don't. Adding carbon clothing to my whole regime for two years yielded me the same exact results.

The biggest buck I've shot I just got this year late season. I didn't shower before hand, I got fully dressed before I left the house because it was cold as sin outside, drove in my smelly truck in my hunting clothes (no carbon suit), didn't spray down, got a little sweaty walking out because I was layered up so much, and shot a 5 year old buck. Earlier this year, I had a hunt where I was meticulous about my scent routine and did everything in my power to stay clean, wore the carbon clothing, and got winded by a couple young does. There were times I wore the carbon clothing and didn't get winded, but there's been plenty of times I have been winded.

So, I wish I knew how well carbon clothing REALLY works, and how well it is regenerated. It's an interesting topic to say the least. But personally, I tried it, it didn't do anything helpful that I could notice, so I have all the answers I really need to satisfy me. Hopefully some day they will come out with a scent-o-meter, then we'll get to the bottom of all this.

bmorris

RE: Myth Busters-Bloodhound-Human Odor

Postby bmorris » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Vipermann7 's experience is the best any one can hope for in light of all the evidence.

Previous

Return to Breaking News