buck potential

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Tim H

buck potential

Postby Tim H » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:48 am

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I figured it would be the most likely to get a knowledgable response.
  I'm from Ontario, Canada, and this is the first year I've set up a trail-cam. So far, I've gotten pictures of several does, and one buck. My queston is about the buck; The last picture taken of him was about 2 weeks ago, and his antlers came out just past his ears.
  At this time of year, how much antler growth do bucks have ahead of them?
  I'm just curious as to what kind of buck he might turn out to be.
Thanks.

mhouck06

RE: buck potential

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:03 am

I have heard that the antlers keep growing until the end of july to the first week of august. So that buck still has a couple more weeks ahead of him to grow. I have this one buck I keep getting pictures of, he doesnt come around too often, but I check my camera every two weeks and when I do get a shot of him, the growth is amazing, hard to believe its the same deer after just 2 weeks.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:02 am

yeah im from michigan, and usally about the end of july and a few days after like mhouck06 said they stop growing.  but it does sound like you got a nice deer on your hands..im to scared to put my trail camera out lol..scared someone will steel it. Im trying to figure out a locking system for it..kinda makes me upset that i HAVE to have one or ill go out and it will be gone.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:11 am

Thanks for the input guys, I'm hoping he'll be a nice buck this fall. Here's one of the pics we got;

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:13 am

And here's the other one;

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management