Found sheds already

mnmaverick

Found sheds already

Postby mnmaverick » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Hey guys, anyone else find sheds yet? I went to my property today to put up some more trailcams to catch this season's survivors, and found three little sheds. I had a picture of the buck that dropped two of them on my camera.

I was surprised they had dropped this early in SE MN, but suppose the snow and cold has stressed the deer. It looked like they all dropped in the last day or two. The deer have absolutely decimated my bean and winter green plots, and have really browsed the cedars as well.

dewey

RE: Found sheds already

Postby dewey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Good find! I didn't think they dropped their antlers until February or March?[8|] Is it due to the weather?[8|] Is the weather down there really that much worse than other years?[8|]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Wow great find!!
Scott

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:58 pm

They are dropping them early this year. Im heading out this week to search for them.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Dewey,

I've never found them this early either. In fact the fresh sheds I found last year were in mid-March. The snow is deeper than usual and we have had some cold snaps, but I'm not entirely sure that is why they are dropping early. I am heading back out this weekend to see if I can find some bigger sheds!

ORIGINAL: dewey

Good find! I didn't think they dropped their antlers until February or March?[8|] Is it due to the weather?[8|] Is the weather down there really that much worse than other years?[8|]

Dewey

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:18 pm

I have read other reports of finding sheds in MN already too.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:11 pm

The bucks dropping them early, I wonder if this will help better and bigger antler growth this year.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

chip

Postby chip » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:34 am

Hi mnmavrick,
I am jus West of Pequot Lakes, and I think you may have more snow there than we do here. I have to wait for the show to melt as my heart is not strong enough to wonder through snow this deep.
Anyway, I have fed deer here in my yard for several years now, and have seen other deer actually take ahold of a bucks antler in its mouth and pull it off. From watching this, it almost seems that it is a natural way for the antlers to be shed? Anyway, I thought that I would share that with you.
Good luck shed hunting.
Chip

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm itching to get out there and look too.

Here's the biggest shed I've ever found. [:)]

(that's my buddy Rick in the photo).

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Good one Patriot! I can't get down to my land to look for another couple of weeks, so I just have to be patient now. Sounds like it's gonna be a little cold this weekend anyway, although I hunt in the bluff country, so it gets pretty warm hiking up and down the hills.

Next

Return to Minnesota