Looking for a mentor

Deftones2015

Looking for a mentor

Postby Deftones2015 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:13 am

I am 26 and have wanted to go hunting most of my life. I am interested in bow hunting. After quite a few seasons of people promising to take me hunting, and failing to do so, I figured I would take things into my own hands. I will be going through the hunter safety course soon so I can get my license. I was hoping to do the apprentice license but I couldn't find anyone who was willing to take me out at all haha. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take me out once or twice to help me get started in bow hunting. I probably wont go out until next season, that way I have plenty of time to get everything I need together. I figured I would get started early though and hopefully find a mentor/friend to help me get started in the sport. My name is Brian, I am 26 and I live in Marion ohio, but I am willing to drive to go hunting or whatever needs to be done. My e-mail is deftones2015@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Brian

Marc Anthony

RE: Looking for a mentor

Postby Marc Anthony » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:04 am

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I live too far away from you here in Illinois but I would suggest you first get a good bow, arrows, etc. from a local pro shop. They will measure your draw length, etc. and get you properly set up. From there comes practice...and lots of it! You will need to be proficient in your shooting ability as to keep injuries to the animals at a minimum. From there come technique, strategies and most important, a place to hunt. Take first things first and get your equipment!

You've come to the right place as many people here are more than willing to help if you are willing to listen. You'll get many opinions, and that's par for the course in this business but use some discernment, ask a lot of questions and you'll do just fine. The most important issue to address is safety! Always know your target and never take any chances. A trophy animal is never worth compromising another's well-being! From there, make sure you always enjoy the hunt, whether or not you come home with venison!

Good luck and stop by often!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Welcome Brian!

Marc is one of those go to guys for ?????? he is very knowledgable plus he test equipment out..

eagle1953

Postby eagle1953 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Brian,
Just wondering if you found anyone to help you out. I live in Lorain County but that may be a little far for you, but I am willing to help you out if I can.
I don`t kill innocet animals, just the ones that look guilty.

bludyarrows

Postby bludyarrows » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 am

Hey brian..I live in Toledo... don't know how far you care to drive but I would lend a hand to you. I have a range in my back yard and I shoot it all year round.I believe in practice in the weather and the conditions and in the clothing you will hunt in. I hunt alot....a whole lot and would'nt mind if you went along. Pm me if you still need a hand.
I head to the woods in sunshine or rain.the snow and sleet is all part of the game.I climb to my seat some 20 feet high.I lie here in ambush till the moment is right.I send the arrow flying with one thought in mind. I am a bowhunter and Victory is mine.

Return to Ohio