Buying a new bow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
wisbooner3932

RE: buying a new bow

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:04 pm

MD Lease, about a month ago I was going through the same exact thing you are (and I'm also 19 haha).  I was pretty sure I wanted a Mathews so I did a search on their website to find all the dealers in the area.  Then one day I did a number on my truck and drove to 3 different dealers within a 60 mile radius to test shoot bows and see what inscentives the dealer had to offer.  I shot the DXT at every dealer and ended up buying it at the most expensive dealer (for $625) because they offered 5 hours of "free" lane time on their indoor range, a "free" tune-up every year, and any service on the bow is "free", as well as a lifetime warrenty on the bow.  IMO that is a pretty good deal because you know any problems (hopefully none) that you have with the bow will be covered and there will be parts, etc. on hand if something should break.  For that reason I would shy away from e-bay but thats just me.  I've heard many stories of great deals people have gotten on bows over e-bay without a problem so its really a matter of personal preference.  If you could, I would stick with a bow shop becuase there more personable (hopefully) and are more willing to drop everything to help you if a problem should arise.   
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:26 pm

ORIGINAL: wisbooner3932

MD Lease, about a month ago I was going through the same exact thing you are (and I'm also 19 haha).  I was pretty sure I wanted a Mathews so I did a search on their website to find all the dealers in the area.  Then one day I did a number on my truck and drove to 3 different dealers within a 60 mile radius to test shoot bows and see what inscentives the dealer had to offer.  I shot the DXT at every dealer and ended up buying it at the most expensive dealer (for $625) because they offered 5 hours of "free" lane time on their indoor range, a "free" tune-up every year, and any service on the bow is "free", as well as a lifetime warrenty on the bow.  IMO that is a pretty good deal because you know any problems (hopefully none) that you have with the bow will be covered and there will be parts, etc. on hand if something should break.  For that reason I would shy away from e-bay but thats just me.  I've heard many stories of great deals people have gotten on bows over e-bay without a problem so its really a matter of personal preference.  If you could, I would stick with a bow shop becuase there more personable (hopefully) and are more willing to drop everything to help you if a problem should arise.   

Cabela's offers free service, tune up, etc. on any bow that you bring in. Whether you bought it from them or not.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:31 pm

I would recommend this thread http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=89154 and echo wisbooner's advice.  Good luck!

Mac

Postby Mac » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 am

I love my Hoyt, but would buy a Mathews if I had to do it over again.
Defiantly buy from a local dealer!
Cabelas ain't going nowhere any time soon, help out the local shop and make a friend.

But if price is a worry, and I know it can be, I'd look at eBay or craigslist befor I bought from Cabelas.
Quote: "Real men hunt with fly swatters!" - me... lol

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:48 pm

i would never buy from ebay or craigs list i have bought a crossbow from cabelas but that was before they became legal in my state you had to have a permit to use one so no one in my area wanted anything to do with crossbows i think that they are becoming more popular than any other type of bow in nj and all of the archery shops and sporting goods stores now have them in stock hank k

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 am

ORIGINAL: krawiech

i would never buy from ebay or craigs list

Why not?? If you know exactly what you want and it is selling unused/unopened on ebay why wouldn't you?? Not saying you are wrong, just want you to elaborate on your opinion. I love ebay. Never done me wrong in 10 years.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:58 pm

It might be a regional thing I don't know, but the local shops around here ......well.......not so good.
High prices, once you buy, you don't really exist anymore (unless of course your spending more cash), and quite honestly they have the worst service.
I have always had a fine time and experience at BPS (except during the holidays, its tough to get service done then (my fault for waiting I guess)) and I know they aren't going anywhere. I bought my last bow in Savannah, and take it to orlando if I ever need anything.
There are others that have HORROR stories at the big shops.
I'd shop around, shoot some here and there and see what you like the best and go from there with your purchase. I don't think there is any right or wrong here its what your comfy with.

Good luck!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:03 pm

have HORROR stories at the big shops.
I'd shop around, shoot some here and there and see what you like the best and go from there with your purchase. I don't think there is any right or wrong here its what your

I know that at Cabela's here in St. Louis they have an archery shop and an indoor range. Any work they do on your bow is completely free, they have always done a good job, and I get asked 5 times while I am there by different people if I have been helped yet.

When buying a new bow they fully help you set it up, measure you accurately, prep. your arrows, and even stand there and watch your form on the range while you shoot your new bow.

Can't beat it!!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:55 pm

I bought my last two bows at Cabelas. The first one was a Parker that gave me troubles, so I returned it after about six weeks. I spent several hours that day test shooting four or five different bows on their indoor range. All the bows that I shot were taken out of boxes brand new and set up the way that I requested. They even changed poundage for me several times taking the test bow from max to min then back to max again. I ended up buying a Diamond bow and I received credit for every cent that I had paid for the Parker. About a month later, my son brought his PSE X-Force in to get some work done. They set his bow up for free, even though he bought it at Gander Mountain in Illinois. I think their service and setup is top notch.

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:39 pm

i wont buy from ebay because i have a local shop that treats me good does excellent warranty work and is comparable on pricing after you figure in freight which is not much but if you have a problem from an individual on ebay you are kind of beat if your dealing with a wholesale house most want the item shipped back to the manufacturer but my local dealer is authorized factory repair id also like to keep the money locally if at all possible hank k

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting